D Ryan Merkley - Peterborough Petes, OHL (2018, 21st, SJS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
It is. It's good for a player to be able to step up to the next level when it's necessary.

If you play to the level of your opponent, you play mediocre versus mediocre. Great players play great against everyone. You should dictate to others, not the other way around. It's a definite concern if you are looking for winners.

Reactions: c4rdsh4rk

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
If you play to the level of your opponent, you play mediocre versus mediocre. Great players play great against everyone. You should dictate to others, not the other way around. It's a definite concern if you are looking for winners.

On the other hand, it means you play great when you play great teams, which is generally what you do when you’re in the playoffs...

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
I turn on the London/Guelph game, first thing I see is Merkley take a penalty on Foudy as he streaks down the wing for the loose puck (not a problem, Foudy is a heck of a skater) the problem becomes that instead of getting up and getting back into the play, Merkley smashes his stick against the boards and never comes back. Giving the Knights 3 good scoring opportunities before Guelph finally got the puck.

I really like Merkley as a prospect and am very intrigued by his potential but you can’t do things like that. If you take a penalty, you have to come back in the zone and not wait until the play is basically over.

wishywashy19

Dec 14, 2011
I turn on the London/Guelph game, first thing I see is Merkley take a penalty on Foudy as he streaks down the wing for the loose puck (not a problem, Foudy is a heck of a skater) the problem becomes that instead of getting up and getting back into the play, Merkley smashes his stick against the boards and never comes back. Giving the Knights 3 good scoring opportunities before Guelph finally got the puck.

I really like Merkley as a prospect and am very intrigued by his potential but you can’t do things like that. If you take a penalty, you have to come back in the zone and not wait until the play is basically over.

Oh man- saw that and said exactly the same,
Where is the guys head on a play like that,

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
He will clean up his act when he is no longer the best player on his team (or one of).

It won't slide in the pros, but right now he is so good in junior that there is no way a team can really punish him. He will be fine, he just needs to direct his anger and frustrations in the right place. That will come with maturity imo.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
He will clean up his act when he is no longer the best player on his team (or one of).

It won't slide in the pros, but right now he is so good in junior that there is no way a team can really punish him. He will be fine, he just needs to direct his anger and frustrations in the right place. That will come with maturity imo.

I agree.

I know the pre-season games he played on the Sharks were an extremely small sample size but I saw none of these antics. He looked decent defensively and impressed on offense. If he does make it to the Sharks in 2019-20 or 2020-21, he will still be playing behind Burns and Vlasic. And potentially Karlsson as well. So, he can be sheltered quite easily.

And I can guarantee you that if DeBoer is still our coach, pull crap like that will earn him a permanent spot on the healthy scratch list.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Heard he was going to be moved last week. Although I heard it was Niagara and Sauga who were involved. They have been trying to move him for almost a year.

Uncle

Jun 26, 2017
Interesting trade for the Storm to make. What happened to Guelph this year?!?
Guelph is a solid team, there have been well documented concerns regarding Merkley so I wont get into that because i have no inside information but if I had to guess this was addition by subtraction for Guelph, while also returning a good forward asset and some picks to move before the deadline.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
I could see a better skating Tony Deangelo maybe. I dont think he makes a huge impact in the NHL. Hes a cancer, cant deny it

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Players like this piss me off so much. Gifted with all the athletic ability in the world to be an impact player at the NHL level and be set for like, yet is too egotistical to work on their flaws and seem to think trying "isnt cool".

The type of person who will have major regrets in life if/when they grow up and are now rotting away in the ECHL/Europe D2 leagues.

Hopefully he figures it out sooner than later.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Sucks hes an August birthday. I could see him really benefiting from being in the AHL under the eye of the Sharks organization than another year in junior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad