D Ryan Merkley - Peterborough Petes, OHL (2018, 21st, SJS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

shello

Mar 5, 2011
MTL/NYC
I don't doubt that he'll be drafted, however pending a change of attitude he wouldn't be the kind of character I'd want in my prospect camp

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
If I really disliked Merkley so much, I would draft him only if he was available at the 5th round. In the first 4 rounds there is a lot of talent that have a decent chance of making the nhl. I'd rather take a chance on someone that shows more interest in becoming a better player.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Teams are really stupid it seems like. It's the same reason that Sprong into the 2nd round in 2015, teams put way too much emphasis on personalities in drafts. As long as a dude isn't a wife beater or something like that, I genuinely don't care about his personality. Now, this is assuming that teams are saying no to him due to attitude issues, which seems to be the most likely reason.

What is the actual issue with Merkley? I see he's bad defensively and has questions about his work ethic, is that it?
So you know nothing about him and decided organizations are dumb for writting him off? Seems reasonable.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
Some teams have decided that the risk/reward for Merkley is too high to draft him at all. That decision is totally understandable, whether one disagrees with their assessment or not.

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
Its incredible to me how some people can be so talented and have no desire to do all you can with that talent. If he's had fits/tantrums on coaches or teammates theres obviously some fire in him. He wants to succeed, he has the drive but he needs to mature and stop pointing fingers and lashing out and project his emotions to performing better. Thats what i would do atleast. Obviously easier said than done

Reactions: haveandare

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
I always roll my eyes at these

yeah you would not draft ho-sang deangelo merkley in the 6th round.. mmk noone believes it.

Just say you don't have such and such in the top 90 unless you REALLY like your 7th round pick over these guys

Reactions: Holden the Stick

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
I'd bet the Panthers are one of those teams. Tallon is all about #character with his guys. With Mascherin not signing with us, I imagine this is even more the case now. Ah well.

Anyway I can see an argument for not drafting Merkley in the first, even early second round. But at some point the potential gain outweights the risk. I wonder if he'll be drafted by a team that has multiple picks and they can gamble on him living up to his potential.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Does anyone know how many interviews he had?

I'm sure plenty of teams wouldn't want someone like him even around their prospects at prospect/training camp.
25 apparently

Right, that's the point of avoiding him entirely. It's not about spending a lotto pick in hopes he shows up one day as a NHL talent but that the investment from an organizational standpoint, having him in your system, working with him and in concert with other prospects teams have deemed not worth the risk.

Reactions: Torgo

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
The potential headaches/problems this kid causes for teams is far greater than the chance he actually turns into a stud, thats probably why teams dont want to waste their time

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
What I wonder about is, if Ryan Merkley (hypothetically) was sitting there in the 7th round, how many of those teams would still pass on him.

As for the issues, ask @93LEAFS. He seems pretty in tune with some of Merkleys issues, and it goes beyond not caring

If ALL the teams pass on him in the first six rounds, I doubt they're changing their minds in the seventh. Not all teams will avoid this guy to death though and after the third round or so you're pretty lucky to get an NHLer so some team will surely pick him just based on talent by then.

Kel Varnson

Oct 31, 2017
I don't understand this. So an 18 year old kid is immature? By putting him on a do not draft list teams are essentially saying that in 2 more years of junior as well as possibly time in the AHL he will not grow at all?! Put him in the a stable environment with a good coach and he'll be fine.

Cayouche5

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
I'm sure some teams won't ''waste'' a good pick on him, and it's OK, however i'm sure he's on every team top 120 list. Keep in head that the 120th player on team X could very well be available in the 7th round. As a habs fan I would take him with one of our end of the round 2nd round pick.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
please leafs be one of the teams with him on the no draft list.

id say the team that gambles on him has a ton of picks this year, kind of like get 3 or 4 kids in the first 2-3 rounds then throw a pick at merkely. Not sure who has a lot of picks

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
please leafs be one of the teams with him on the no draft list.

id say the team that gambles on him has a ton of picks this year, kind of like get 3 or 4 kids in the first 2-3 rounds then throw a pick at merkely. Not sure who has a lot of picks

If Merkely was available at the Leafs pick I would be really excited.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
If Merkely was available at the Leafs pick I would be really excited.

that's fine I would be massively disappointed if the leafs picked him with our 1st or 2nd. In fact id trust our scouts to find nhl players at every pick without taking him. This isn't just immaturity with this kid,

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
If he's there in the second round, I'd want Rangers taking a shot on him with at least their 48th, maybe even the 39th. So much talent there if he can mature.

Cayouche5

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
yeah I knew that but just miscounted somehow. 4 2nds! that's some currency, might be able to use a couple to trade into the back end of the 1st round there too
I'll be all for it if let's say a Veleno, Hayton (lees likely) fall, but we're not that stacked on prospects, we need these good young players. Having a top end one (3rd overall) plus 4 2nd and an early 3rd is exactly what we wanted. In the 2nd I like Wise, Dellandrea, Groulx, Khovanov, McBain, Gustafsson, Fonstad, Beaudin, Dudas

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Teams are really stupid it seems like. It's the same reason that Sprong into the 2nd round in 2015, teams put way too much emphasis on personalities in drafts. As long as a dude isn't a wife beater or something like that, I genuinely don't care about his personality. Now, this is assuming that teams are saying no to him due to attitude issues, which seems to be the most likely reason.

What is the actual issue with Merkley? I see he's bad defensively and has questions about his work ethic, is that it?
so you managed to admit you have no idea what's going on while pumping the tires of a Penguins prospect and calling teams stupid. Impressive post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad