D Ryan Johnson - (2019, 31st, BUF)

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
So I should climb back off the ledge??? Haha

I mean there's no guarantees but you should at least be intrigued. He has a lot of tools at his disposal. The big question is how much offensive upside does he have? I think he's got more than his point totals would indicate and he'll have 2-3 years to develop offensively. If he continues to develop there, he's fantastic value at this spot.

I also wouldn't really classify him as a late riser, as in he didn't come out of nowhere. He's always been well respected as a prospect. He just played an extra year of midget, so he had no exposure as a 16 year old and there was the lingering question of how he'd handle the next level, which was exasperated when he missed the Hlinka last summer for Team USA due to injury. This was his first year in the USHL and he had a great season. He obviously improved too, but it also eliminated the concern of how he'd do in his first year of high level hockey. At the WJAC this year, he was charged with shutting down Podkolzin, which he did and made it look effortless too.

A lot of us USAH followers think he's a strong contender to make Team USA at the WJC.

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
So I should climb back off the ledge??? Haha

Yes you should. I think in a few years when there's a redraft, he'll go a lot higher than 31. A lot of scouts seem to be of the opinion that his lack of offense has to do with - I don't know if I'd say poor coaching, but lets say very conservative coaching.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Seems like he’s shown well at the WJSS, which should help keep him in the thick of the US U20 selection process on the blue line.
small sample size and all, but damn he has been impressive to watch play..I would be shocked if he did not make the team as long as he remains healthy in December. he should be manning the Gophers power play right out the gate as well..kid could be in for a really big year coming up..

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Seems like he’s shown well at the WJSS, which should help keep him in the thick of the US U20 selection process on the blue line.

What I've liked is that he hasn't missed a beat even though he's playing his toughest competition yet while also playing his offside. He still looks like the same player. Obviously a small sample size here and it's summer hockey, but it's quite impressive that his game seems to transition seamlessly to the next level each time his competition takes a big step up. Less than a year and a half ago he was finishing his second season of U16 AAA hockey with the Jr. Ducks. Then last season he steps right into the USHL, makes the All-Rookie team, wins the USHL Clark Cup Championship, and also wins gold at the WJAC. Now he's playing at the WJSS against some of the top U20 players in the world and it hasn't fazed him. I think it has to give a lot of folks (Gophers, Sabres, USAH) confidence on how he'll transition to the NCAA in a couple of months and possibly the WJC.

I'm most interested in whether he can tap his offensive potential. The tools are there for the most part, but he needs to improve his shot and open up his game a bit. He has the skating and hockey IQ to take more risks and still recover. The only thing that stops him from being an elite defensive prospect is his minimal offensive production. If that develops, watch out.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think he’s going to make it, as well. Probably 6th or 7th D. I wouldn’t expect that much from him at the WJC though. 18 year old defensemen usually struggle, so it should be more about easing him in for him to be one of the leaders on the backend the following year.

Reactions: William H Bonney

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I think he’s going to make it, as well. Probably 6th or 7th D. I wouldn’t expect that much from him at the WJC though. 18 year old defensemen usually struggle, so it should be more about easing him in for him to be one of the leaders on the backend the following year.

Yeah, there doesn't need to be undo pressure on the kid to perform. That is so much a 19-year old tournament, especially for defensemen, so to possibly make it at 18 is both special and something requiring one to temper expectations.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Yes you should. I think in a few years when there's a redraft, he'll go a lot higher than 31. A lot of scouts seem to be of the opinion that his lack of offense has to do with - I don't know if I'd say poor coaching, but lets say very conservative coaching.
He definitely has some offensive upside, but I think of him as a high floor, medium ceiling type guy. He is so poised, great skater, vision, passing, but he doesn't scream top pair potential. If you are happy with a guy who could be a really solid player for a while, work the PP a bit, I think he's a good one. It'll be exciting to see what he can do in MN this year they need defensemen who can make an impact bad, and they have more than enough talent up front to work with him, his numbers should jump by new year into sophomore year.

Reactions: Chainshot

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It's incredible that the last post in a thread of a recent first round pick was August of 2019 for a first round pick.

Johnson has had a respectable tournament on the defensive end. He's not playing big minutes, but other than a few penalties, I've liked his game. Defensively, he's very reliable. He's a great skater. One of the best in this tournament. And he's moved pucks well and chipped in with a few points.

The Sabres will probably get a middle pairing defenseman out of Johnson. Not bad for the 31st pick.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
It's incredible that the last post in a thread of a recent first round pick was August of 2019 for a first round pick.

Johnson has had a respectable tournament on the defensive end. He's not playing big minutes, but other than a few penalties, I've liked his game. Defensively, he's very reliable. He's a great skater. One of the best in this tournament. And he's moved pucks well and chipped in with a few points.

The Sabres will probably get a middle pairing defenseman out of Johnson. Not bad for the 31st pick.
He might play for 15 years with those feet. If he becomes a Bret Hedican then that is a great pick.

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Eh, his season last year with UM as such a young freshman, playing a lot on his off-hand side and in limited minutes didn't lead to a lot of easily identifiable things for many to talk about. It's not like there are a lot of "hey, look how well he played the gap on that" or "OMG, did you see that short pass to avoid a forechecker" message board fodder.

He's had a nice tournament and it is certainly something to continue building off of.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think he's been up and down, myself. Faber is the one that has looked the most consistent and reliable. I wonder if Warren should've been on the team?

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
I thought he was great in the Slovakia game.

I think Ryan Johnson might be in contention for least discussed 1st round NHL pick ever: 2 pages over the course of 3 years. Had to laugh reading the post on page one predicting that the fans of the team picking him would be saying “Who?” - that’s exactly what happened on the Sabres board.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I think he's been up and down, myself. Faber is the one that has looked the most consistent and reliable. I wonder if Warren should've been on the team?

He’s had a couple of gaffs that were atypical, both penalties and a few glaring turnovers early on, but has improved as the tournament has gone along.

I’m curious how this could give him a bump (or not) going into the end of the Gopher’s season.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

There wasn't a lot to talk about last season, tbh. He was a true freshman playing limited minutes, largely on his off side. His offensive game as the WJC has gone on has surprised me a bit. I had him pegged as a smooth-skating modern shutdown type D, but he's gotten more aggressive about moving up into the play as time's gone on. His skating and short-area passing look very nice also.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
@Chainshot I was thinking the same thing about whether this experience will give him a bump up in his game once he gets back to college. At this point I'm firmly on the fence when it comes to his possibility of being a regular NHL Dman. The skating is great, IQ is average. It's possible he learns what to, and not to do as he gets more experience...I think a high hockey IQ is critical to a good Dman.

He looks Vince Dunn'ish to me... Not saying he will be that good, but that style. You hope that he figures out some things and becomes more like Morrissey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad