Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Ryan Johnson
Defenseman (LD)
July 24th 2001
6 foot 0? / 161 lbs?

Ryan Johnson (son of Craig Johnson) commits to University of Minnesota (2020-2021 season)
his father played for the Minnesota 1990 - 1993

The article

He is 3rd youngest D-man in the entire USHL in this upcoming season:
3. Ryan Johnson (Stampede) 2. Valtteri Piiroinen (Stampede) 1. Anthony Kehrer (Musketeers)

Ryan has played for the Anaheim jr Ducks past 3 years

I could post his stats from his time in Anaheim
but recently ive learned that when it comes to American junior hockey
eliteprospects.com is not very reliable source.

Here are his eliteprospect stats nevertheless->
Ryan Johnson at eliteprospects.com

---

Any thoughts about Ryan Johnson?

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
Better be good cuz people were hyping him up like crazy before he committed to the Gophers. I'd say check back in a couple months after the USHL season starts.

Firecracker

Jul 3, 2015
He would have likely been on the Hlinka Gretzky team but he wasn't able to attend selects camp due to a knee injury. He is a high end skater and and thinks the game well should transition in to the USHL just fine.

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
Ryan Johnson
Defenseman (LD)
July 24th 2001
6 foot 0? / 161 lbs?

Ryan Johnson (son of Craig Johnson) commits to University of Minnesota (2020-2021 season)
his father played for the Minnesota 1990 - 1993

The article

He is 3rd youngest D-man in the entire USHL in this upcoming season:
3. Ryan Johnson (Stampede) 2. Valtteri Piiroinen (Stampede) 1. Anthony Kehrer (Musketeers)

Ryan has played for the Anaheim jr Ducks past 3 years

I could post his stats from his time in Anaheim
but recently ive learned that when it comes to American junior hockey
eliteprospects.com is not very reliable source.

Here are his eliteprospect stats nevertheless->
Ryan Johnson at eliteprospects.com

---

Any thoughts about Ryan Johnson?

If he is born July, 2001 as you state that would make him 2019 draft eligible and not 2020 as the title suggests.

kroypuck

Mar 23, 2018
But isn't the draft held over a month before that birth date?

The cutoff date for draft eligible's is September 15th, so his draft year is in fact 2019.

A player like Lafreniere was born October 11th, hence why his draft eligible year is 2020, despite being born in 2001.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Leads his team in +/- this season (+16)
Has 5 goals, 15 assists, in 37 games this season so far.

2nd in d-men scoring for his team
1. Crozier (2000) 30 points (0.69 ppg) | 2. Johnson (2001) 20 points (0.54 ppg) 3. Kessel (2000) 14 points (0.33 ppg)

Hockeyprospect.com ranks him 21st
TSN/Bob McKenzie ranks him 30th
Future Considerations ranks him 51st

Central Scouting ranks him 36th (NA skaters)

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Any update on this kid? How has he looked in the USHL?

He's a very interesting prospect, but I'm not completely sold on him yet. When I watch defencemen, the first thing I turn my attention to is how they are at outskating and outsmarting forechecking pressure. Ryan is really good at that. He's also quite aggressive in cutting off lanes and pinching up to keep plays alive. That said, I haven't seen anything that would convince me of serious offensive upside.

He reminds me of Vaakanainen.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Where is he playing next year? Is he spending another year in USHL or going straight to college? I feel like he's the type of player who could use another year in the USHL to really develop his offensive game.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO

Found this interesting, but not really surprising. I think this kid is a legit 1st rounder but he's barely being talked about. Think a lot of people will go "Who?" when their team takes him in the 1st round in June.

Cue fanbase ‘X’ overreaction meltdown when they pick him in the first round because he’s a late riser.

I just don’t understand HF sometimes, people would rather have their team pick a falling prospect who they’ve heard of but who is dropping for very good reasons but are aghast when a kid is really starting to accelerate his development and crushing pre-draft combines and gets picked because the name is new to them.

Almost every “winners and losers” reaction thread on this forum is winners are teams who picked falling prospects with known names and loser clubs are ones who “reached” (but not really) for prospects who are rising. So ridiculous.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017

Yeah I just saw that the other day, thank you though. He reminds me a lot of Duncan Keith ( has a lot of his better qualities), but he seems to have some IQ/work ethic issues that could hold him back.

His stick handling is so smooth, it sets himself up for a very effective pass or shot. Too bad his passing and shooting isn't really there.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->