LD Philip Broberg - Skellefteå AIK, SHL (2019, 8th, EDM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Pretty poor singular exhibition game, 1 xGF%, didn't pass the eye test. But it was to be expected, he's not near ready. Needs to play DY+2 in Sweden.
Ideally the AHL, it looks like he is ready for it. But with the pandemic it might make more sense to keep prospects in Europe rather than North America.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Pretty poor singular exhibition game, 1 xGF%, didn't pass the eye test. But it was to be expected, he's not near ready. Needs to play DY+2 in Sweden.

I don't think Broberg should even sniff the NHL until he has another year in the SHL and then at least half of an AHL season. Despite the dazzling skating and size, he is still pretty raw. He needs a lot of reps and reps at the appropriate level. He's more tools than polish right now. He looked like a deer in headlights in the exhibition game.

With Klefbom and Nurse, they aren't in dire need of him any time soon since they're all of the same mold.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I hope that training camp didn't influence the decision to play him in the exhibition game as a 7th defensemen. If it did, Edmonton wasted a game on a guy who wasn't NHL ready, and didn't get a game for a guy they will probably end up needing at some point. If you are trying to tank, it might not matter, but a team trying to win really should've used that 7th spot you get in the exhibition to get some game reps for a player who will suit up when Edmonton needs a 7th defenseman. Throwing a player into a playoff game who hasn't played a hockey game in what will end up being probably 5-6 months is a recipe for disaster.

As @PWJunior said, he's not that close to the NHL. Needs at least another year. And there's no shame in that. That should've been how it went all along. Why did he even take part in the NHL playoffs training camp? Edmonton should've been more serious about getting ready for the playoffs, in my opinion. Being ready to play in the NHL prior to his D+2 season would've been a big accomplishment. None of the players in his draft class have shown themselves to be all too NHL ready yet, so its not as if Broberg is behind if he can't yet compete in the NHL.

Reactions: PWJunior

Tkachuckycheese

Oilers/Sens
Feb 2, 2016
I hope that training camp didn't influence the decision to play him in the exhibition game as a 7th defensemen. If it did, Edmonton wasted a game on a guy who wasn't NHL ready, and didn't get a game for a guy they will probably end up needing at some point. If you are trying to tank, it might not matter, but a team trying to win really should've used that 7th spot you get in the exhibition to get some game reps for a player who will suit up when Edmonton needs a 7th defenseman. Throwing a player into a playoff game who hasn't played a hockey game in what will end up being probably 5-6 months is a recipe for disaster.

As @PWJunior said, he's not that close to the NHL. Needs at least another year. And there's no shame in that. That should've been how it went all along. Why did he even take part in the NHL playoffs training camp? Edmonton should've been more serious about getting ready for the playoffs, in my opinion. Being ready to play in the NHL prior to his D+2 season would've been a big accomplishment. None of the players in his draft class have shown themselves to be all too NHL ready yet, so its not as if Broberg is behind if he can't yet compete in the NHL.

I don't know why you care so much what a team does. Jones was kept out because he was hurt. Broberg did well in camp and they wanted to see how he would do against some NHL competition. It's just like if they did it in preseason. It doesn't count towards any NHL games and it gives him a taste. I've seen you post on other threads and you come off like you are a cocky know it all. Mellow out man you are too intense.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

There's literally nothing wrong with giving a promising young player 10 minutes in an exhibition game where teams are supposed to dress 7 defensemen anyway. It also doesn't make any sense to criticize him even appearing at the training camp. By all accounts he stood out in a positive way. But yes, there is no shame if a D+1 defenseman who wasn't a top 5 pick isn't NHL ready yet

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't know why you care so much what a team does. Jones was kept out because he was hurt. Broberg did well in camp and they wanted to see how he would do against some NHL competition. It's just like if they did it in preseason. It doesn't count towards any NHL games and it gives him a taste. I've seen you post on other threads and you come off like you are a cocky know it all. Mellow out man you are too intense.

I'm plenty mellow about this. Don't fault me because you take offense to my opinion. You aren't obligated to disagree. Is Jones going to be back in time to play? It's more understandable if he is. Otherwise, there's no reason a prospect in over his head at this level who isn't NHL ready should be playing over someone else who might be needed in the playoffs. Thats getting greedy.

Svane

Jul 5, 2020
I'm plenty mellow about this. Don't fault me because you take offense to my opinion. You aren't obligated to disagree. Is Jones going to be back in time to play? It's more understandable if he is. Otherwise, there's no reason a prospect in over his head at this level who isn't NHL ready should be playing over someone else who might be needed in the playoffs. Thats getting greedy.
Jones will be ready and the reasoning to play Broberg was that everyone else in the training camp roster has NHL experience so if through injuries or other unexpected situation he is required to play he'll have at least played against an NHL team.

Reactions: Dempsey

Tkachuckycheese

Oilers/Sens
Feb 2, 2016
He's supposed to be back but he got dinged up in training camp so they kept him out. They kinda already know what they are getting out of Lagesson and Broberg just out played every dman in camp. If you looked into it then you would of read that from reporters and even Tippet said it. Well in that theory about playing over their head Kakko shouldn't be in the NHL right now.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
There's literally nothing wrong with giving a promising young player 10 minutes in an exhibition game where teams are supposed to dress 7 defensemen anyway. It also doesn't make any sense to criticize him even appearing at the training camp. By all accounts he stood out in a positive way. But yes, there is no shame if a D+1 defenseman who wasn't a top 5 pick isn't NHL ready yet

Yes, there literally is something wrong. To think you can have Lagesson or Bouchard step into a playoff game, if needed, without any issue when they haven't suited up in a hockey game in 5-6 months is ludicrous. There's no guarantee that would end up effecting wins and losses, but its such a needless thing to play Broberg in this exhibition. You almost at this point have to go with Broberg over those guys, even though he's the 10th most ready to step into an NHL playoff game of the 10.

It's a very selfish decision by the coach and management. I'm sure McDavid and Draisaitl, who want to win a Cup, are thrilled to see Broberg get his feet wet and be paraded on TV for 10 minutes for the fans instead of icing a guy who may be needed. It's much less of a problem if Jones is going to be ready to play and then the next needed player is 8th instead of 7th. It's much different playoffs this year. The reserve players didn't play an AHL game two weeks prior. They haven't played a hockey game in what might amount to almost half a year by the time they are needed. Thats an extremely tough spot to have a player step into

Why should someone come all the way over from another continent to appear in a training camp when they can't help the team? Doesn't he have a season that begins soon in Sweden? How does including a prospect who isn't yet anywhere near the level of the players preparing to try to win the Stanley Cup going to help the team out? It's not summer camp for prospects. Some of you have such a laissez-faire attitude with these prospects, and think thats its time for big experimentation. I guess we'll see how everything works out for all these teams.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Jones will be ready and the reasoning to play Broberg was that everyone else in the training camp roster has NHL experience so if through injuries or other unexpected situation he is required to play he'll have at least played against an NHL team.

Bouchard actually hasn't. If that was the explanation, it at least has some reasoning to it over wanting to see a prospect play a hockey game, but Bouchard hasn't played any games, and surely he should be in before Broberg. I figure that if you are down to your 10th defenseman, it doesn't matter, and you are probably going to lose. But 7th and 8th defenseman are going to be crucial for any team that thinks they can advance for in the playoffs. In a normal year, it's not as big of an issue because everyone has played a game sometime recently, but none of these guys have played hockey in close to five months. If we're talking about when an 8th defenseman might be needed, they might've gone more than half a year without a hockey game at that point.

I think the NHL should've scheduled at least two games per team because it's ridiculous to have guys you might use in the playoffs that won't even get in an exhibition game. In my opinion though, I think it's greedy to play the prospect over the guys more likely to be needed. But we'll see if it ends up making any impact.

Edit: I was only thinking of this year with Bouchard. I guess he has played NHL games.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I personally see nothing wrong with giving the lad some experience in an NHL exhibition game. By all accounts he looked decent.

If a team is going to lose a playoff series because they used a rookie as the 7th D in an exhibition game, I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that a lot of other things went wrong.

I think Edmonton will survive this decision, to be honest.

Reactions: Tkachuckycheese

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Yes, there literally is something wrong. To think you can have Lagesson or Bouchard step into a playoff game, if needed, without any issue when they haven't suited up in a hockey game in 5-6 months is ludicrous. There's no guarantee that would end up effecting wins and losses, but its such a needless thing to play Broberg in this exhibition. You almost at this point have to go with Broberg over those guys, even though he's the 10th most ready to step into an NHL playoff game of the 10.

It's a very selfish decision by the coach and management. I'm sure McDavid and Draisaitl, who want to win a Cup, are thrilled to see Broberg get his feet wet and be paraded on TV for 10 minutes for the fans instead of icing a guy who may be needed. It's much less of a problem if Jones is going to be ready to play and then the next needed player is 8th instead of 7th. It's much different playoffs this year. The reserve players didn't play an AHL game two weeks prior. They haven't played a hockey game in what might amount to almost half a year by the time they are needed. Thats an extremely tough spot to have a player step into

Why should someone come all the way over from another continent to appear in a training camp when they can't help the team? Doesn't he have a season that begins soon in Sweden? How does including a prospect who isn't yet anywhere near the level of the players preparing to try to win the Stanley Cup going to help the team out? It's not summer camp for prospects. Some of you have such a laissez-faire attitude with these prospects, and think thats its time for big experimentation. I guess we'll see how everything works out for all these teams.
I don't think Lagesson or Bouchard missing out on 10 minutes of an exhibition game is going to mean the difference between being a disaster and being ready to step into a playoff game without any issue. Teams are bringing 10 defensemen into the bubble and only 7 would be able to dress for the exhibition game, so defensemen (and forwards too) were going to play cold regardless.

I would be really shocked if McDavid and Draisaitl had a problem with it. Especially since he was really good in training camp. They probably felt he elevated the level of competition, if anything. Just because you predicted that Broberg wouldn't play and ended up being wrong doesn't mean it was a mistake that he played

Reactions: Tkachuckycheese

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia

lol calm down, playing broberg in an exhibition game will not make or break the oilers playoff hopes

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Just because you predicted that Broberg wouldn't play and ended up being wrong doesn't mean it was a mistake that he played

Where did I predict he wouldn't play in an exhibition game? I'll be waiting.

You threw shit at the wall hoping it would stick, and it didn't.

I said I doubt he'd be playing when the games matter. And it looks like he won't be playing when the games matter, unless there's some change coming to the lineup for Game 1 thats unexpected. I see no reason to gloat about being right, but since you wanted to bring it up, I'll compromise with you. I'll be sure to send you a private message with my thoughts on the situation once we see if he plays in Game 1 since you are so interested in what I think.

Tkachuckycheese

Oilers/Sens
Feb 2, 2016
Bouchard actually hasn't. If that was the explanation, it at least has some reasoning to it over wanting to see a prospect play a hockey game, but Bouchard hasn't played any games, and surely he should be in before Broberg. I figure that if you are down to your 10th defenseman, it doesn't matter, and you are probably going to lose. But 7th and 8th defenseman are going to be crucial for any team that thinks they can advance for in the playoffs. In a normal year, it's not as big of an issue because everyone has played a game sometime recently, but none of these guys have played hockey in close to five months. If we're talking about when an 8th defenseman might be needed, they might've gone more than half a year without a hockey game at that point.

I think the NHL should've scheduled at least two games per team because it's ridiculous to have guys you might use in the playoffs that won't even get in an exhibition game. In my opinion though, I think it's greedy to play the prospect over the guys more likely to be needed. But we'll see if it ends up making any impact.

Edit: I was only thinking of this year with Bouchard. I guess he has played NHL games.

Again why do you care so much what another organization you don't follow and even know when players have played any NHL games does? You aren't mellow about this at all. This is eating at you so much to write all these responses in great detail. Are you scared that he may learn some new things with the club that drafted him? Is he going to get some vital information from the coaching staff that he can take away from this? Or are you worried that he is going to have some bonding time to learn techniques from pro NHL players?

He did well in training camp and he was rewarded with a EXHIBITION game. Relaxxxxxxxxxx:wally

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Again why do you care so much what another organization you don't follow and even know when players have played any NHL games does? You aren't mellow about this at all. This is eating at you so much to write all these responses in great detail. Are you scared that he may learn some new things with the club that drafted him? Is he going to get some vital information from the coaching staff that he can take away from this? Or are you worried that he is going to have some bonding time to learn techniques from pro NHL players?

He did well in training camp and he was rewarded with a EXHIBITION game. Relaxxxxxxxxxx:wally

This isn't the Oilers forum. If you have a problem with non-Oilers fans giving their assessment in this thread, you're in the wrong forum. It doesn't bother me, at all, to discuss this. Why would it? I remembered that Bouchard played NHL games within five minutes of my post. Big deal that I initially forgot. I must be so unknowledgeable about the Oilers to the point I'm not allowed to comment to remember something that half the website would've forgotten or not known in the first place.

In fact, I am advocating for your team. What am I saying that is anti-Oilers? I've probably been told I hate every team in the league, so its a bad argument to begin with. Why would I be scared if Broberg learned something new? I don't think you seem to understand that people give opinions here that pertain to the happenings of prospect. Thats the point of this thread. Broberg took part in an NHL playoffs training camp, and I think it's a waste of time, like all prospects that aren't NHL ready and are only in the training camp because they were high picks. If you don't like the opinion, you aren't required to reply to it.

If you want to reply, you should be prepared to discuss the situation, and shouldn't try all types of sideway arguments about how I'm not allowed an opinion because I'm not a supporter of the team or I momentarily forgot Bouchard played NHL games in 18-19 or I'm supposedly not mellow enough for your liking.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012

That's a rather myopic view of their character. They aren't UFAs that signed with the Rags.

Tkachuckycheese

Oilers/Sens
Feb 2, 2016
This isn't the Oilers forum. If you have a problem with non-Oilers fans giving their assessment in this thread, you're in the wrong forum. It doesn't bother me, at all, to discuss this. Why would it? I remembered that Bouchard played NHL games within five minutes of my post. Big deal that I initially forgot. I must be so unknowledgeable about the Oilers to the point I'm not allowed to comment to remember something that half the website would've forgotten or not known in the first place.

In fact, I am advocating for your team. What am I saying that is anti-Oilers? I've probably been told I hate every team in the league, so its a bad argument to begin with. Why would I be scared if Broberg learned something new? I don't think you seem to understand that people give opinions here that pertain to the happenings of prospect. Thats the point of this thread. Broberg took part in an NHL playoffs training camp, and I think it's a waste of time, like all prospects that aren't NHL ready and are only in the training camp because they were high picks. If you don't like the opinion, you aren't required to reply to it.

If you want to reply, you should be prepared to discuss the situation, and shouldn't try all types of sideway arguments about how I'm not allowed an opinion because I'm not a supporter of the team or I momentarily forgot Bouchard played NHL games in 18-19 or I'm supposedly not mellow enough for your liking.

No it's not.. but this is an Oilers prospect

It's not a waste of time if he showed some major steps with the team and they can really work with him throughout their time in the bubble. He did well in his first season in the SHL. The Oilers wanted to have him in camp like other players who did well. He showed up and exceeded expectations of where his development is. So they rewarded him with a game. Which is not wrong at all and gives him a taste if he is needed at all.

If your opinion is that the Oilers are idiots because they had Broberg come from overseas to work with them first hand because they wanted to see where his development is. Then I fail to understand how that is so wrong to do and how it's a waste of time. You are failing to realize how this builds confidence in a player. He's working with Klefbom and Larsson and talking to them everyday. Broberg and Klefbom are very similar in their paths and their productions. He's a better skater than Klefbom that's for sure. Larsson is a different style of dman and he can learn more of a shutdown role through him. Where to place his stick how to control a players body. These are all great things to me.

Just saying he doesn't deserve to be there because he's from overseas and I don't think he deserves this opportunity is dumb. He showed up to camp and worked hard to prove he is ready to play and he turned everyone's heads because of the work he did. How do you fail to realize that he earned this opportunity?

Last edited:

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
How are you commenting that it’s a waste of time after the fact? They know what they have in other players with a pretty good sample size.

This guy came in and looked good, and they wanted to see where he stood in the depth charts. They know what Bouchard looks like, they know Lagesson looks like, they’ve seen reps- whereas Broberg hasn’t.

What if he looked stellar in the game? Would it have still been a waste of a roster spot?

The reason you wanted Bouchard or someone else in is to see who would make the best 7th defensemen- in my opinion to find out who would’ve been the best 7th defensemen was to play Broberg- and now we know, it shouldn’t be him. So it wasn’t a waste.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Never before has a rookie playing in an exhibition game been so controversial.

Exactly.

That game was also probably the most physical game Broberg has ever played in. He’s a teenage defenceman playing on the small ice, it’s an adjustment for anyone. It was a great learning experience for him. He’s likely going back for another year in Sweden anyways.

Bullets were live that game it was physical, I rewatched it on SN the next day a little closer. It was far and away the most the physical of all the exhibition games.

He’ll be just fine. He physically looks like an NHLer and certainly can skate like one. D men take time, I’m quite optimistic about his long term potential when he’s 22-23 years old he’ll be a strong defender.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
The newer generation don't know that Broberg will be arriving in typical Oiler fashion way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad