LD Philip Broberg - Skellefteå AIK, SHL (2019, 8th, EDM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
I’d say it’s probably about a 50/50 right now, it’s either the SHL or the AHL. I’d think the team would probably want him to come over, but I think it’s his decision is it not?
Yeah, the past season the Oilers have him the choice. I think playing a second season would do wonders for his confidence.

The Oilers let Klefbom play two seasons in the SHL

Reactions: B33K33PING

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I think I’d rather have him in Sweden for one more season, then put him in the AHL and go from there.

Hopefully he’s in the NHL by his d+4, but Holland knows he got himself into a long term project with this one so it may take until his d+5 to be ready.

Reactions: edmbrotha

edmbrotha

May 14, 2019
Edmonton
I think I’d rather have him in Sweden for one more season, then put him in the AHL and go from there.

Hopefully he’s in the NHL by his d+4, but Holland knows he got himself into a long term project with this one so it may take until his d+5 to be ready.
I agree. SHL one more year would be perfect for his development.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
What are the chances that he spends another season in the SHL?

draft + 1 SHL
draft + 2 SHL
draft + 3 AHL
draft + 4 NHL

I like that plan. No problem him spending another year in Sweden where he can play a big role on the WJC team next year and a bigger role on his SHL team.

Come over and spend the next full year in the AHL after that before the NHL following the AHL. We have some really good young D prospects ahead of him on the depth chart, zero reason to rush him.

D typically take longer to develop and peak later but the flip side is they can usually sustain their peak play well into their 30s whereas high end forwards peak sooner.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
I like that plan. No problem him spending another year in Sweden where he can play a big role on the WJC team next year and a bigger role on his SHL team.

Come over and spend the next full year in the AHL after that before the NHL following the AHL. We have some really good young D prospects ahead of him on the depth chart, zero reason to rush him.

D typically take longer to develop and peak later but the flip side is they can usually sustain their peak play well into their 30s whereas high end forwards peak sooner.

Just to add, also keeps the cost of the contract down.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Given he's an 8th overall pick I assume they bring him over to the AHL next year. It may be good to have another year in the SHL but they probably want him in the NHL by draft+3 so he can begin to make a difference on the backend while they still have a lot of other guys locked up.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Not overwhelmed with his stats. He clearly had flaws when he was drafted. Hope he steps it up next year. Needs ATLEAST 1 more year in SHL to develop.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Not overwhelmed with his stats. He clearly had flaws when he was drafted. Hope he steps it up next year. Needs ATLEAST 1 more year in SHL to develop.

How about you watch him instead of stat watching?

He's playing at a much better point pace than Klefbom was at his age. If you do watch the games I would love to hear your opinion on how his game is going, but if you're just stat watching I don't see how you can accurately come up with a conclusion like that.

Reactions: thadd and oilynutz

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
How about you watch him instead of stat watching?

He's playing at a much better point pace than Klefbom was at his age. If you do watch the games I would love to hear your opinion on how his game is going, but if you're just stat watching I don't see how you can accurately come up with a conclusion like that.

If has low minutes played and not the greatest stats in the SHL, what makes you think he is ready for the AHL? I am just looking at stats, and they are not great. He is young and I am sure he will get there eventually. He just needs more time, he is a project for a reason.

This is not an attack on Broberg or Oilers fan, just stating the facts that he has a dissappointing year based on the position he was drafted.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
If has low minutes played and not the greatest stats in the SHL, what makes you think he is ready for the AHL? I am just looking at stats, and they are not great. He is young and I am sure he will get there eventually. He just needs more time, he is a project for a reason.

This is not an attack on Broberg or Oilers fan, just stating the facts that he has a dissappointing year based on the position he was drafted.

I never said he's ready for the AHL. I haven't watched him enough, so I'm not making conclusions about his NHL readiness purely by looking at stats. You could be completely right about him needing another year in the SHL, but basing it off of low stats for a stay at home defencemen isn't smart. Especially when there are examples of players with low ice time/stats going into the AHL/NHL right away.

The second part of your post is the issue I have. You said he is having a disappointing season purely based on his stats. He's a stay at home defencemen who is weeks away from being in the 2020 draft playing against men. You can't say his season has been disappointing if you haven't watched him.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019

The SHL is a much harder league to play in than the AHL. You can be AHL ready without bring SHL ready.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
The SHL is a much harder league to play in than the AHL. You can be AHL ready without bring SHL ready.

I wouldn't say much harder but an argument can be made for it being stronger. Player like Elvenes has much better production in the AHL than he did in the SHL, some skilled players don't adapt as well to the AHL though.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Nonsense. The SHL is not a stronger league than the AHL. I would argue the opposite, but the truth is that they are just different. The AHL used to be WAY more physical. It still is more physical, but they are getting rid of some of the dirtier stuff. It is still a very, very good league that has somehow become underrated.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019

It is pretty standard in the SEL that young defenders just don't play a lot of minutes.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Likelihood of any teenage defender putting up a ton of points in a men's league is very low. A lot of room will be opening up for Bakersfield next year so I don't see why he wouldnt come over. With Jones graduating and laggeson either getting traded, staying up with the Oilers or losing through waivers there will be 2 left d openings for him to fill.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Agree with some of the comments here. Broberg is almost young enough to have been eligible for the 2020 draft and he's a stay at home type defenseman to begin with; stats are pretty much useless judging this player right now. Gotta be watching him.

I get the sense he'll be a welcome addition to the Oilers, who have the luxury of looking to Bouchard for offense from the back end.

Reactions: wetcoast

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Agree with some of the comments here. Broberg is almost young enough to have been eligible for the 2020 draft and he's a stay at home type defenseman to begin with; stats are pretty much useless judging this player right now. Gotta be watching him.

I get the sense he'll be a welcome addition to the Oilers, who have the luxury of looking to Bouchard for offense from the back end.
Also he has all the time in the world to develop. We have Klef/Nurse/Russel on our team rn and great prospects like Bouchard and Samorukov in the minors. We can give him as much developmental time he needs to eventually come into the big leagues and become a stud. There is absolutely no way he’s gonna he rushed.

13 others

Apr 18, 2007

Stay at home dmen are almost extinct in the NHL. He needs to develop more of an offensive game to make it.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
Stay at home dmen are almost extinct in the NHL. He needs to develop more of an offensive game to make it.
Points production is based on usage. As 3rd pair, you’re asked just not to mess things up as you don’t have top level group of 5 on the ice.
Early in the year when he was wheeling, dealing and putting up points, he was a minus player rather quickly. As the points dried up, he crawled his way back to even.

He’ll get a better chance of ice time next year with Noren out of contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad