LD Philip Broberg - Skellefteå AIK, SHL (2019, 8th, EDM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I mean...offensively he absolutely was.
I mean I guess so if you just look at their pre-draft Allsvenskan stats then yes OEL produced twice as much, which still wasn't much. Both players had very productive U18's. Lets not act like either of us watched either player in their Allsvenskan games to make such a definitive statement though.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I mean I guess so if you just look at their pre-draft Allsvenskan stats then yes OEL produced twice as much, which still wasn't much. Both players had very productive U18's. Lets not act like either of us watched either player in their Allsvenskan games to make such a definitive statement though.
Broberg being half the player OEL is would be impressive for the kid

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Just a reminder that Oliver Ekman-Larsson drafted 6th OA didn't play a single game in the SHL the year after he was drafted.
He was playing for a franchise that doesn’t have an SHL team. Players don’t get promoted from Allsvenskan to the SHL. Allsvenskan is not an affiliated minor league. OEL played for the Leksands Stars. He played for their top team in their top league.

Reactions: Mrb1p

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
He was playing for a franchise that doesn’t have an SHL team. Players don’t get promoted from Allsvenskan to the SHL. Allsvenskan is not an affiliated minor league. OEL played for the Leksands Stars. He played for their top team in their top league.
Yeah I realize that, and my post wasn't meant to throw any shade OEL's way. It was to say that stat watching Swedish leagues for Dmen doesn't tell you a whole lot and OEL was a good example of that playing the 2nd tier Swedish league he put up pedestrian numbers in his draft year, and good, but not numbers that you would expect in many of the NA leagues in his post draft year. Judging Swedish D by stat watching at that age is pretty foolish when trying to project what they might become.

Reactions: JBeast and North

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Yeah I realize that, and my post wasn't meant to throw any shade OEL's way. It was to say that stat watching Swedish leagues for Dmen doesn't tell you a whole lot and OEL was a good example of that playing the 2nd tier Swedish league he put up pedestrian numbers in his draft year, and good, but not numbers that you would expect in many of the NA leagues in his post draft year. Judging Swedish D by stat watching at that age is pretty foolish when trying to project what they might become.
Broberg has 2 assets, size and straight line speed. He gets by on that. His defensive game is lacking, his shot is below average and his hockey IQ is below average too. He could absolutely be an NHLer due to size alone but anything more than a 6/7 defender would need almost a vertical improvement in his game. Which isn't something you waste an 8th overall on. Our last 3 first round picks have been really weak .Thankfully we improved our drafting in the later rounds.

Reactions: Hoparazzi

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Broberg has 2 assets, size and straight line speed. He gets by on that. His defensive game is lacking, his shot is below average and his hockey IQ is below average too. He could absolutely be an NHLer due to size alone but anything more than a 6/7 defender would need almost a vertical improvement in his game. Which isn't something you waste an 8th overall on. Our last 3 first round picks have been really weak .Thankfully we improved our drafting in the later rounds.
This isn't even worth responding to. Lets just agree to disagree.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
You really love to make stuff up just cause you don't like the pick dont you.

Here's a scouting report on him.

"Broberg uses his skating to play an effective defensive game. However, he combines that skating with high hockey IQ and it makes him even better. He reads and anticipates the play extremely well, cutting off passes before they happen and transitioning to offense"

"Broberg handles the puck well. Combined with his skating, he can take the puck out of danger and move it up the ice. He also has the ability to carry the puck through the neutral zone and create offence on the rush. Broberg also has good vision and passing skills. "

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
What's good in his game? What is he good at other than straight line skating,m
1) His straight line skating is far from his only quality aspect in his skating. He has excellent acceleration, good edges, and good lateral mobility.
2) His defending off the rush is strong, he has good velocity on his shot, and his hands and passing are far better than he gets credit for. Yes, he still mishandles pucks from time to time and doesn't have the elite silky puck handling and passing of a young guy like Cale Makar, but these attributes of his game are far from below average. Needs to continue to work on his D zone coverage.

I'm not saying he's even close to a ready product, but there's much more than just a straight line speedster with size.

Reactions: Vachon23

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
1) His straight line skating is far from his only quality aspect in his skating. He has excellent acceleration, good edges, and good lateral mobility.
2) His defending off the rush is strong, he has good velocity on his shot, and his hands and passing are far better than he gets credit for. Yes, he still mishandles pucks from time to time and doesn't have the elite silky puck handling and passing of a young guy like Cale Makar, but these attributes of his game are far from below average. Needs to continue to work on his D zone coverage.

I'm not saying he's even close to a ready product, but there's much more than just a straight line speedster with size.
1) I've seen numerous scouts mention that his lateral movement is a weakness. Yes he is good at acceleration and his edgework is better than the average defender, mostly from playing center most of his life.

2) His velocity on his shot is average. Not going to really beat an NHL goaltender with it, and not hard enough to force a rebound either. His hands yes look better than some defenders, again for playing center most of his life but at the same time his passing and stickwork is average at the best of times.

He isn't ready you are right. And of course there is more to his game. But when you draft a player and their only notable abilities are speed and size and everything else is average at best, that's not a high first worth prospect.

Watching his game and his skills I see him as a fast bottom pairing defender. If he ever becomes more it would probably be in another 8-10 years. He is definitely a long shot prospect.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Discussion on this prospect is kinda pointless because more depends on future development and not where you are picked in the draft...

Anybody remember the 2011 draft? Another weak one like 2019. All Oilers fan seemed to want Mark McNeil who was picked one slot above us so we drafted Klefbom - we all kinda scratched our heads - who? He wasn't offensively gifted - more of a big good skating defensive D type. Everybody "knew" Brodin (his partner throughout junior tourneys) was going to be "better" who was obviously the more dynamic of the two. Klefbom developed offensively and Brodin sort of plateau-ed early. In fact, Klefbom has the same number of points in 100 less games... for a D-man considered more defensive and stay at home than Brodin.

I sort of wanted Seider in the draft but the Wings picked him. The rest of the picks in the first in that range, meh.

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC

I'm certainly not that high on Broberg's game, as my post history will show you, but even though I think that Broberg doesn't have the highest upside, he has at least an outside shot at being a top-4 defenseman despite his offensive IQ woes and so I disagree with what you posted.

Some scouts, like Button, were absolutely gushing after Broberg's performance at the U-18 dominating the scoresheet. All I saw was a defenseman that was stronger and faster than anyone at that level and that was constantly shooting the puck without taking into consideration what was happening on the ice in the offensive zone. A shoot-first mindset is good, but there were times when passing the puck would have created much better offensive opportunities for his team and that was when I seriously began questioning his hockey sense. The fact that he managed to score so many points in that tournament has much to do about him lucking out and getting important deflections and screens in that allowed him to nab both goals and assists. A bigger sample size would have seen his totals drop off quite a bit, I'm sure.

Upon closer examination, I discovered that his shot was strong but not that accurate or dynamic, his release is good but not much more and his one-timer is pretty bland, which also lowered my opinion of Broberg's potential upside.

What I saw defensively was pretty good, not incredible, but definitely something that could be polished and could shine in the NHL, same as his skating, which is all-around elite for a defenseman, not a weakness by any stretch of the imagination. The physicality was a bit inconsistent and sometimes a bit unplanned, but with that frame and strength, it should come with time and practice.

Overall, I understand what the Oilers' brass saw in Broberg and what they wanted to do with the pick, and Broberg indeed could be a pretty good piece for them in a couple of years, I'm just not sure if he was the best value available with the 8th overall pick (Zegras or Boldy probably were) and think Edmonton's brass might have passed on better players for a ''safer'' player in a position of need. If he had been drafted anywhere after the 20th pick or so, he would have been a good pick, and if he slipped into the second-round, he would have been an absolutelly stellar grab.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
What are the chances that he spends another season in the SHL?

draft + 1 SHL
draft + 2 SHL
draft + 3 AHL
draft + 4 NHL

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
The most important tool in the NHL right now is skating, and right now the guy can really really skate.

You just hope that he can do more than just skate well though.

But because he skstes so well at his size, he’s gonna probably have a pretty solid NHL career.

Last edited:

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
What are the chances that he spends another season in the SHL?

draft + 1 SHL
draft + 2 SHL
draft + 3 AHL
draft + 4 NHL

I’d say it’s probably about a 50/50 right now, it’s either the SHL or the AHL. I’d think the team would probably want him to come over, but I think it’s his decision is it not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad