LD Philip Broberg - Skellefteå AIK, SHL (2019, 8th, EDM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
How could you feel it was a weak draft if you didn't follow the prospects . . .

Saw it was a Center-heavy draft and wanted my Oilers to trade that pick no matter what. The draft did not change my mind... when teams go wildly offboard and every which way in the first round... it's sign of a weak(er) draft.

Oilers probably should have picked Zegras in their slot - BPA. The poster who said Caulfield... just no.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
The Oilers shoud have picked Caufield. Cole would have been the perfect complement to McDavid. Fast, intelligent goal scorer who plays a quick game and knows how to position himself to score goals. McDavid + a player like Caufield would have been something to witness.
Draisaitl is the perfect compliment for Mcdavid. We needed someone for the 2nd line which is why I wanted Zegras. However, we can't change anything now so why dwell on it?

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
On Cole v BroBerg

Yes, the prospects of a Cole and McDavid combo for years is very enticing. BUT, the risk is high in Cole failing at the NHL whereas its near zero for a guy like Broberg. Let's remember that Cole played for a veritable all-star team on that USND team, there is no way his stats weren't atleast a bit inflated playing with the guys on that team. We've seen this burn teams before, look how high Gagner went in the draft, no way he goes there if he wasn't riding shotgun to Patty Kane that year. Cole rode shotgun to so much top talent in that draft I think he got a bit over-rated.

On the flip side of that, rarely does a big D-man that can skate like the wind turn out to not make it in the NHL. If your huge and can skate, that's almost an automatic to be a decent NHL defenceman and we have a guy who's elite in skating ability. I'd say his floor is a guy like Bouwmeester. Now, how much potential he has from that starting point remains to be seen. He's dynamic but not on the level of true top of the draft d-men.... there's still time to show more but it remains to be seen.

Reactions: wetcoast

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon
giphy.gif
You should of bolded the top 10 part too. That entire statement was ridiculous.

Reactions: bobbythebrain

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Thinking Brady Skjei shouldn't have won Calder in 2017 doesn't make one a hater. It makes them realistic.

On Broberg, I have my doubts but you never know. I certainly consider him a boom-or-bust, though. It's tough to see him panning out as a reliable bottom pairing. He needs to be either really good, or he'll be nothing.
Saying this about an 18 year old d man is pretty bold and likely wildy innacurate. You dont know this to be fact its your opinion. The player isnt even full grown or played a season in North America. If you were this good at identifying this level of accuracy you wouldnt be posting on hf boards.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Saying this about an 18 year old d man is pretty bold and likely wildy innacurate. You dont know this to be fact its your opinion. The player isnt even full grown or played a season in North America. If you were this good at identifying this level of accuracy you wouldnt be posting on hf boards.
So, many professional scouts have called Broberg a boom or bust prospect, but when I say it you go on a rant like that? Ok. Where did I say it's a fact it'll happen? It's just my opinion and I made it perfectly clear.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
The oilers are floored if broberg comes close to Skjei. Arguably a top 10 dman imo, just hasn’t the the opportunity to play on a good team until now. He’s been beasting this year (like he did in 2017 when he got robbed of the calder).

giphy.gif

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
On Cole v BroBerg

Yes, the prospects of a Cole and McDavid combo for years is very enticing. BUT, the risk is high in Cole failing at the NHL whereas its near zero for a guy like Broberg. Let's remember that Cole played for a veritable all-star team on that USND team, there is no way his stats weren't atleast a bit inflated playing with the guys on that team. We've seen this burn teams before, look how high Gagner went in the draft, no way he goes there if he wasn't riding shotgun to Patty Kane that year. Cole rode shotgun to so much top talent in that draft I think he got a bit over-rated.

On the flip side of that, rarely does a big D-man that can skate like the wind turn out to not make it in the NHL. If your huge and can skate, that's almost an automatic to be a decent NHL defenceman and we have a guy who's elite in skating ability. I'd say his floor is a guy like Bouwmeester. Now, how much potential he has from that starting point remains to be seen. He's dynamic but not on the level of true top of the draft d-men.... there's still time to show more but it remains to be seen.

Yeah, it's too bad Cole wouldn't have top talent to ride shotgun with on the Oilers :facepalm:

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

Haha. Yup. In no particular order for the top 10

Hedman Giordano Josi Jones Burns Karlsson Reilly Hamilton Suter Skej(lmao)

That poster actually thinks he's better than players like Doughty, Pietrangelo, Klingberg, Krug, Heiskanen, Dahlin, etc, etc

It's pure comedy

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
So, many professional scouts have called Broberg a boom or bust prospect, but when I say it you go on a rant like that? Ok. Where did I say it's a fact it'll happen? It's just my opinion and I made it perfectly clear.
Rant?... Dont make this something out to be that it isnt. In limited viewings you have said with certainty he will only be a top 3 d man or not play in the NHL. At this point in his development no one knows that, he is 5 years away from even starting to hit his prime.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Its hard not to compare Broberg and Klefbom. Both have pretty similar scouting reports and style. Whne Klefbom was drafted he was always a longer term project, and the Oilers were able to let him develop in the SEL/AHL. He was never putting up flashy numbers, just developing his all around game. During this time, fowards like Bartschi/Armia/Rattie were getting a ton of hype putting up massive numbers. Yet, in the end, patience paid off and Klefbom turned into a stud while those forwards peaked early/not at all

I am not saying Caufield or that type of forward wont turn out, and I realize Broberg was picked too high (higher than the forwards, vs Klefbom picked after). But I will say, I am ready to be extremely patient with Broberg and fully expecting too see a ton of redrafts the next 3 years with Broberg going 20-35 range. But after experiencing the slow develop of Klefbom and having most non Oiler fans write him off pretty fast, it wont faze any Oiler fan to see Broberg get dismissed.

On a side note, seeing Yamamoto doing extremely well in the AHL will really reduce any regret on not getting Caufield. Both Yams and Caufield are similar players, so good to see Yams looking like he could fill the spot on McDavids wing

For the record, I would have picked a few other players over Broberg. He was a great pick in the 13-18 range. But I wont lose sleep over picking a high risk/high reward D

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Its hard not to compare Broberg and Klefbom. Both have pretty similar scouting reports and style. Whne Klefbom was drafted he was always a longer term project, and the Oilers were able to let him develop in the SEL/AHL. He was never putting up flashy numbers, just developing his all around game. During this time, fowards like Bartschi/Armia/Rattie were getting a ton of hype putting up massive numbers. Yet, in the end, patience paid off and Klefbom turned into a stud while those forwards peaked early/not at all

I am not saying Caufield or that type of forward wont turn out, and I realize Broberg was picked too high (higher than the forwards, vs Klefbom picked after). But I will say, I am ready to be extremely patient with Broberg and fully expecting too see a ton of redrafts the next 3 years with Broberg going 20-35 range. But after experiencing the slow develop of Klefbom and having most non Oiler fans write him off pretty fast, it wont faze any Oiler fan to see Broberg get dismissed.

On a side note, seeing Yamamoto doing extremely well in the AHL will really reduce any regret on not getting Caufield. Both Yams and Caufield are similar players, so good to see Yams looking like he could fill the spot on McDavids wing

For the record, I would have picked a few other players over Broberg. He was a great pick in the 13-18 range. But I wont lose sleep over picking a high risk/high reward D
There's some similarities there especially in terms of both needing to refine their game for a couple years, but Broberg has a dynamic that Klefbom has never had, and that's his incredible skating. I think if Klefbom had Broberg's skating you'd be looking at a Josi level Dman with a little bit less of a dynamic offensive and puck moving game. Klefbom is a good skater in his own right, but if Broberg develops the rest of his game like Klefbom to go along with his skating he should be a borderline #1D.

Now, obviously we will have to see how Broberg develops, and if he can see the same kind of development that Klefbom had after being drafted, but I think Broberg is a better prospect at the same age compared to Klefbom largely due to his elite skating.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
There's some similarities there especially in terms of both needing to refine their game for a couple years, but Broberg has a dynamic that Klefbom has never had, and that's his incredible skating. I think if Klefbom had Broberg's skating you'd be looking at a Josi level Dman with a little bit less of a dynamic offensive and puck moving game. Klefbom is a good skater in his own right, but if Broberg develops the rest of his game like Klefbom to go along with his skating he should be a borderline #1D.

Now, obviously we will have to see how Broberg develops, and if he can see the same kind of development that Klefbom had after being drafted, but I think Broberg is a better prospect at the same age compared to Klefbom largely due to his elite skating.

I think they are pretty similar at the same age. Klefbom was always noted as being anear elite skater and IIRC was regarded as one of the best skaters in his draft class. Broberg the better skater, Klefbom slightly higher hockey IQ (IMO)

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I think they are pretty similar at the same age. Klefbom was always noted as being anear elite skater and IIRC was regarded as one of the best skaters in his draft class. Broberg the better skater, Klefbom slightly higher hockey IQ (IMO)
Klefbom was considered a good skater, but I don't think he ever had that elite top of the draft quality of Broberg. I mean every game I've watched of Broberg you see him do an end to end rush where he looks twice as fast as everyone else on the ice.

Hard to say on hockey IQ. Both needed a lot of refinement to pick their spots better, but in both cases I think its simply their youth showing and them wanting to make a difference every shift. Broberg I'm sure will learn to dial it back just like Klefbom did.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
The Goal Caufield takes are sweet, sweet in this thread.

I haven't got involved in that discussion, but upon looking back it appears a Montreal fan came in here and started that discussion for no apparent reason. So here's an idea, if you want to talk about Caufield and how the Oilers should have selected him then do it in the Caufield thread. This thread is about Broberg, and I am a huge Caufield fan.

Reactions: Igoraj

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
The Goal Caufield takes are sweet, sweet in this thread.

Well see. The situation is pretty much exactly similar to 2017 with Yamamoto and Cal Foote. Yamamoto had all world skill and elite stats, Cal Foote was taken ahead of him and higher than expected. Foote being a project D, Yamamoto being all skill with size issues. Oilers have bets on both sides of the table now. Will be interesting to watch both cases over the next 5 years. Id personally have rather taken Caufield, but cant go wrong trying to build a great D core first

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

What makes Klefbom special though is his defensive IQ, his positioning, how he angles and uses his body and frame to his outmost advantage. Broberg has a loooong way to go to get there. Broberg is a better skater but I think that's about all that he has on Klefbom right now. I think he plays a lot more like Nurse than Klefbom. Raw and physically gifted player that needs a ton of refinement to reach his potential, and I'm not sure if he'll ever get there, or if he does it's probably going to take 5-6 years at minimum.

That's part of why I never liked this pick and didn't want Broberg. Oilers need someone who can make an impact earlier (such as a forward) and the Oilers are already stacked on D and especially the left side. And LHD's are not that hard to find anyway. So you better hope he becomes a top pair D, otherwise it feels like a bit of a wasted pick honestly considering what else was at the board at the time.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
What makes Klefbom special though is his defensive IQ, his positioning, how he angles and uses his body and frame to his outmost advantage. Broberg has a loooong way to go to get there. Broberg is a better skater but I think that's about all that he has on Klefbom right now. I think he plays a lot more like Nurse than Klefbom. Raw and physically gifted player that needs a ton of refinement to reach his potential, and I'm not sure if he'll ever get there, or if he does it's probably going to take 5-6 years at minimum.

That's part of why I never liked this pick and didn't want Broberg. Oilers need someone who can make an impact earlier (such as a forward) and the Oilers are already stacked on D and especially the left side. And LHD's are not that hard to find anyway. So you better hope he becomes a top pair D, otherwise it feels like a bit of a wasted pick honestly considering what else was at the board at the time.
I'm talking about at the time they were drafted. Klefbom made a lot of mistakes defensively when he was young and took a lot of ill-advised chances. I don't think he plays like Klefbom much either, but Klefbom early in his career was much more of a risk taker and thats the similarity I was alluding to.

I'm obviously much higher on Broberg's abilities than you, however, as I don't believe Broberg is solely a physical tools player. I think he needs to pick his spots better, and learn D zone coverage a bit more, but we'll probably never agree on this. My opinion of him in the 3 international tournaments is he was the best D in both the U18 tournaments and held his own in the U20's for a 17 year old player.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I'm talking about at the time they were drafted. Klefbom made a lot of mistakes defensively when he was young and took a lot of ill-advised chances. I don't think he plays like Klefbom much either, but Klefbom early in his career was much more of a risk taker and thats the similarity I was alluding to.

I'm obviously much higher on Broberg's abilities than you, however, as I don't believe Broberg is solely a physical tools player. I think he needs to pick his spots better, and learn D zone coverage a bit more, but we'll probably never agree on this. My opinion of him in the 3 international tournaments is he was the best D in both the U18 tournaments and held his own in the U20's for a 17 year old player.

I actually do agree with this, he is not solely a physical tools player. I think there's more there. But I also think he needs a lot of work defensively (as well as in most other areas of the game too) and especially learn to use his big body. I think he can become a good player in time, but a) I don't know if he'll necessarily be better than guys like Zegras and Caufield and b) even if he does become better, can the Oilers afford to waste the prime of McDrai waiting for Broberg when instead they could've had a dynamic forward making an impact earlier? I feel like the Oilers don't even really need him. If they had a gaping hole on the backend then yes, I could get behind the pick (although even then Broberg would not be my first choice, I had York and Heinola ahead, Söderström too IIRC) but that's not the case at all. But it is what it is, I hope he succeeds. Will be interesting to see how he looks in the WJC.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I actually do agree with this, he is not solely a physical tools player. I think there's more there. But I also think he needs a lot of work defensively (as well as in most other areas of the game too) and especially learn to use his big body. I think he can become a good player in time, but a) I don't know if he'll necessarily be better than guys like Zegras and Caufield and b) even if he does become better, can the Oilers afford to waste the prime of McDrai waiting for Broberg when instead they could've had a dynamic forward making an impact earlier? I feel like the Oilers don't even really need him. If they had a gaping hole on the backend then yes, I could get behind the pick (although even then Broberg would not be my first choice, I had York and Heinola ahead, Söderström too IIRC) but that's not the case at all. But it is what it is, I hope he succeeds. Will be interesting to see how he looks in the WJC.
Too many D is not a bad problem to have though, as we've seen repeatedly you can trade them for a top 6 forward quite easily. I had originally wanted us to take a forward, but I'm more and more ok with the pick as time progresses. I have wanted the Oilers to have a great defence for a while now, and adding Broberg to the prospect pool of Bouchard, Sammy, Jones and Lagesson to go with a young D group that is performing well in the NHL this year pretty much guarantees that their D should be strong in the future. I think a 5-6 year projection on Broberg is a major exaggeration. I think its much closer to 2-4 years.

At the end of the day, I think them making sure they build a solid D is the most important thing to team success. They can build depth at forward once some bad contracts come off, and they already have awesome top end talent in McD, Drai, and Nuge. Building an elite D is the most important aspect (as well as goaltending) in turning this team into a contender.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Broberg getting the least amount of minutes on his team on defense. Probably do to his age, but for a guy drafted so high, not a great sign so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->