LD Philip Broberg - Skellefteå AIK, SHL (2019, 8th, EDM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

edmbrotha

May 14, 2019
Edmonton
I haven’t been paying much attention to him since he was drafted, but through the grapevine I’ve heard he has impressed a lot since then. Is this true?
He has been fine. Looks like he belongs in the SHL but he still needs a lot of work and seasoning. His skating may be the best in the league but he’s having a bit of trouble using it effectively apart from a few instances so far. He has good compete level and wins lots of puck battles which is nice to see.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
He has been fine. Looks like he belongs in the SHL but he still needs a lot of work and seasoning. His skating may be the best in the league but he’s having a bit of trouble using it effectively apart from a few instances so far. He has good compete level and wins lots of puck battles which is nice to see.
Good stuff. As long as he's got all the fundamentals. Hopefully the points come as the year goes on. Even if they don't, you can never judge too much with these Euro pro leagues.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Good stuff. As long as he's got all the fundamentals. Hopefully the points come as the year goes on. Even if they don't, you can never judge too much with these Euro pro leagues.
Agreed. Klefbom had 2 points in 33 games in the SHL in his draft+1 season and he's been able to become a 30-40P level D at the NHL level. I love Broberg's game, and his skating is something else. I can't wait to see him in the WJC this year.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
If Broberg becomes a legit star player in the NHL, will you be able to cope with life?

And before you say "that won't happen", remember you're not psychic, and it's not out of the realm of possibility for a highly touted prospect that you don't like, to become a star player. We've all been wrong before.

You’re as daft as a rainbow trout in a car wash.

My comp is Brady Skjei, who last I checked is a top 4 D in the NHL. He’s a great skater, competent in his own end who can lug the puck up the ice, but usually doesn't know what to do with it when he gets there.

So what part isn't true?

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Scuba-Steve

Jun 8, 2006
Québec
The Oilers shoud have picked Caufield. Cole would have been the perfect complement to McDavid. Fast, intelligent goal scorer who plays a quick game and knows how to position himself to score goals. McDavid + a player like Caufield would have been something to witness.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
You’re as daft as a rainbow trout in a car wash.

My comp is Brady Skjei, who last I checked is a top 4 D in the NHL. He’s a great skater, competent in his own end who can lug the puck up the ice, but usually doesn't know what to do with it when he gets there.

So what part isn't true?

The oilers are floored if broberg comes close to Skjei. Arguably a top 10 dman imo, just hasn’t the the opportunity to play on a good team until now. He’s been beasting this year (like he did in 2017 when he got robbed of the calder).

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
The oilers are floored if broberg comes close to Skjei. Arguably a top 10 dman imo, just hasn’t the the opportunity to play on a good team until now. He’s been beasting this year (like he did in 2017 when he got robbed of the calder).

giphy.gif

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
You got one part of that statement right. Congrats.

No no my friend. Congrats to you. Brady Skej actually got one vote recorded that season. Truly...congrats to getting your vote in on that ballot:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Matthews got 1661, Laine 1106 and Werenski with the 47 point season compared to Skej's 39 point season..got 711 votes

It's pretty obvious what you are doing here with your crush superfan..er, i mean..super6646

Reactions: Disappointed EP40

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
The Oilers shoud have picked Caufield. Cole would have been the perfect complement to McDavid. Fast, intelligent goal scorer who plays a quick game and knows how to position himself to score goals. McDavid + a player like Caufield would have been something to witness.

Pass.

Oilers had Yamamoto and saw what lack of size does in the NHL. You need to be wickedly fast and agile skater (Yams is very nimble but not fast like Kane/Gaudreau/Cogliano). And you have to be an elite stickhandler - like Kane and again Gaudreau. Yamamoto is an excellent (well above average) stickhandler and shooter (makes highlight reel goals in the AHL these past weeks) but you need to be elite to compensate for the lack of size.

The NHL is filled with history of undersized prospects that are wickedly skilled but lack that eliteness to make them regulars - see Omark, Desharnais, Dawes (best AHLer I've ever seen), etc.

Snowpants

In Depth Hockey Analyst
Apr 20, 2019
Pass.

Oilers had Yamamoto and saw what lack of size does in the NHL. You need to be wickedly fast and agile skater (Yams is very nimble but not fast like Kane/Gaudreau/Cogliano). And you have to be an elite stickhandler - like Kane and again Gaudreau. Yamamoto is an excellent (well above average) stickhandler and shooter (makes highlight reel goals in the AHL these past weeks) but you need to be elite to compensate for the lack of size.

The NHL is filled with history of undersized prospects that are wickedly skilled but lack that eliteness to make them regulars - see Omark, Desharnais, Dawes (best AHLer I've ever seen), etc.

What in the sweet F does any of that have to do with Caufield??? They are c ompletely different players

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Pass.

He's the best scorer since Stamkos. That not "elite" enough for ya?

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
What in the sweet F does any of that have to do with Caufield??? They are c ompletely different players

The poster said Oilers should have picked Caulfield. No way Oilers would be interested in another undersized forward prospect.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
No no my friend. Congrats to you. Brady Skej actually got one vote recorded that season. Truly...congrats to getting your vote in on that ballot:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Matthews got 1661, Laine 1106 and Werenski with the 47 point season compared to Skej's 39 point season..got 711 votes

It's pretty obvious what you are doing here with your crush superfan..er, i mean..super6646

I mean good looks have nothing to do with it ;)

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

Skjei isn’t anywhere close to a top 10 Dman.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
He's the best scorer since Stamkos. That not "elite" enough for ya?

There's always elite snipers in the middle of the first that have some flaws in their game i.e recent drafts Owen Tippett, Oliver Wahlstrom, Brendan Perlini.

Granted, I never followed the 2019 draft because I felt it was weak and wanted the pick traded away so I should have had a disclaimer on my above post.

Scuba-Steve

Jun 8, 2006
Québec
Pass.

Don't compare Caufield with Yamamoto.

1. They're totally different player

2. Caufield's ceiling/potential is just miles ahead of Yamamoto's

Caufield is there breaking records and boundaries in the goal scoring departments and yet some people are still sleeping on this because yeah you know he's only 5'7'' after all... the kid is something special and you guys will see.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Meh, just another hater who can’t appreciate him.
Thinking Brady Skjei shouldn't have won Calder in 2017 doesn't make one a hater. It makes them realistic.

On Broberg, I have my doubts but you never know. I certainly consider him a boom-or-bust, though. It's tough to see him panning out as a reliable bottom pairing. He needs to be either really good, or he'll be nothing.

Last edited:

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Thinking Brady Skjei shouldn't have won Calder in 2017 doesn't make one a hater. It makes them realistic.

On Broberg, I have my doubts but you never know. I certainly consider him a boom-or-bust, though. It's tough to see him panning out as a reliable bottom 6 guy. He needs to be either really good, or he'll be nothing.

He's a defensemen by the way. Have you watched him?

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
There's always elite snipers in the middle of the first that have some flaws in their game i.e recent drafts Owen Tippett, Oliver Wahlstrom, Brendan Perlini.

Granted, I never followed the 2019 draft because I felt it was weak and wanted the pick traded away so I should have had a disclaimer on my above post.
How could you feel it was a weak draft if you didn't follow the prospects . . .

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
Pass.

Awful take.

By the way, Kane has never been fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->