LD Philip Broberg - Skellefteå AIK, SHL (2019, 8th, EDM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
He’s been very impressive in the 2 games I have watched Sweden play so far. Just tuned in after work to see his PP goal.

kroypuck

Mar 23, 2018
Seems like a very talented player. Where has he been hiding? Never even heard of him until the Hlinka and now Craig Button has him at #3 for this upcoming draft. Strange.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Reminds me of Mattias Ekholm

Not really feeling that comparison. Broberg is much more of a free wheeler.

He has had some rough moments tonight. He may just be exhausted, 5 games in 6 nights and he has played a ton of minutes this week.

I think Button is being a bit too aggressive with his ranking. I would say Broberg should be ranked in the 6-10 range at this point.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Button had Poehling #4 after the Hlinka two years ago. I wouldn't put much stock into what he says.

I'd say Broberg is more in that late first round range. Very good skater, good size, he's at least an average offensive and defensive player. I'm not convinced he's going to be very good in the offensive or defensive zones. I'd need to watch his game closer, and preferably not only in one tournament. I'm also not convinced about his hockey IQ. And then you have to consider the lack of a track record. I've seen Broberg play before this tournament, but I didn't even remember it because he did nothing that would make one remember him nor has anyone talked about him prior to this event.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
Kids an absolute stud, that's clear but he's no top 3 pick. He makes some questionable decisions at times and can't keep the puck on his stick when in transition

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Broberg is a stud, but it is not certain that he will be a 1st round pick. His speed is his greatest asset and I think he can work on his game all-around. Teams do not pass on players this fast though.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
Little early to say where he will be picked, but he had a great tournament for sure, and hopefully he can build from this and have a breakthrough season. Will be intresting to follow him this season. Some players take huge steps over the summer. But in the end this was just a junior tournament in august.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
If he keeps on developing, and playing like he has since transferring to AIK he could go high in the draft, top 15 is my gut feeling he'll end up in.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Broberg was one of the best players in TV-pucken a couple of years ago and he was training with the SHL team as a 15 year old so he's not coming out of nowhere. Always been a big, mobile kid with a hard shot from the point. Didn't stand out at all in international tournaments last season.

What it will come down to for me his hockey sense and how much offense he can create from the offensive blue line. Not saying Broberg is bad in those areas but I've seen players mask glaring weaknesses before in these short tournaments. Looks promising but it's very early to call him a top prospect.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
I'd like people's thoughts on a comparison between him and Matt Robertson, both eligible this year.

Both seem to have similar strengths with great skating for big guys, though Broberg was able to display it more during this tourney. Neither seems too physical, and I don't get the sense that either of them will be a PP quarterback in the NHL.

What would you think?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'd like people's thoughts on a comparison between him and Matt Robertson, both eligible this year.

Both seem to have similar strengths with great skating for big guys, though Broberg was able to display it more during this tourney. Neither seems too physical, and I don't get the sense that either of them will be a PP quarterback in the NHL.

What would you think?

A lot of times guys establish confidence with the puck as they age and it can have a huge impact on how they project.

Noah Dobson was a great example of this last year.

Personally I think Robertson has some offensive upside, and Broberg may too.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

What would you think?

Robertson higher. Better defensively, less questions about hockey IQ, more proven. Broberg might have more offensive potential because he's more of a puck carrier, but I wouldn't even be sure about that.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
A lot of times guys establish confidence with the puck as they age and it can have a huge impact on how they project.

Noah Dobson was a great example of this last year.

Personally I think Robertson has some offensive upside, and Broberg may too.

From then little I saw from Robertson, I got a similar Dobson vibe as you mentioned. Love the size and range, pleasantly surprised at how mobile he is. Doesn't look like a naturally high skilled player, but his stock could really soar with some skill refinement over the year.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
To be honest, while he was strong in the beginning, I thought he was sloppy in the gold medal game. He had trouble on a couple zone-exits, one that led to the 5th goal. I didn't see the Russia game, so I'll go back and check that out.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Bonafide stud. That size/skating/finesse combo will make him a top 20 pick guaranteed, even if issues arise regarding his HIQ. Teams just don't pass up on big bodied defenders who can skate and distribute the pill like that.

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014
To be honest, while he was strong in the beginning, I thought he was sloppy in the gold medal game. He had trouble on a couple zone-exits, one that led to the 5th goal. I didn't see the Russia game, so I'll go back and check that out.

Exactly!
He is big and can flat out fly but those two glaring strips of the puck -one leading to breakaway and the other to breaky AND goal- vs Canada in the final were not pretty.
At this early stage in his dev though that’s ok. Looks like he is just learning what he can and can’t get away with. Interesting to see how he progresses this season. I like him!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->