LD Philip Broberg - Skellefteå AIK, SHL (2019, 8th, EDM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
He's a solid draft prospect but not top 10. High end IQ and decision making is what separates good NHL defensemen from the average. I'm not seeing it from Broberg, size and skating is a luxury.

Reactions: 93LEAFS

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
He's a solid draft prospect but not top 10. High end IQ and decision making is what separates good NHL defensemen from the average. I'm not seeing it from Broberg, size and skating is a luxury.

Yeah I never saw it either. For all the great end to end rushes he had at the WJC he had just as many really low IQ rushes. He has the speed but doesn't really have the puck handling/IQ to go with it. Will be a good project pick though for some team that can be patient with him.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

Disagree. He puck rushes because he still can at the junior level, but he does make high end plays as well.

And neither size or skating are luxuries. They both come at a premium.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'm not sure how everyone is coming to these conclusions that he's overrated. Unless you're in Sweden it's not really possible to watch Allsvenskan. I'd be interested to hear what the over/under rated crowd has watched to come to their conclusions.

Here's a recent game to help out

Philip Broberg vs Karlskrona HK | Oct 26 2018 - ProspectShifts.com

So I have to watch him play in the Allsvenskan to claim he's overrated?

He had a lot of nice rushes at the Hlinka, but I didn't see the potential that some others did. Great skater, showcased a nice shot, and he was passable defensively, but the hockey IQ looked low, I didn't think his hands were particularly good, and I failed to see what about his game stood out so much that he had top pairing potential. Being a good skater with good size doesn't alone make you a player with top-pairing potential.

I think it was fair to move him up some after that tournament because I had watched him play before, and didn't even see that ability that he showed at the Hlinka, but I think moving him up to the top 10 makes him overrated.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
I'm not sure how everyone is coming to these conclusions that he's overrated. Unless you're in Sweden it's not really possible to watch Allsvenskan. I'd be interested to hear what the over/under rated crowd has watched to come to their conclusions.

Saw him live on the Monday a few weeks back, have a C More account in the States(a PITA to arrange, but did it.)

A lot of Brady Skjei in his game on O, better in his own end than Skjei.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB

I wouldn't say that. Onhockey.tv regularly shows Allsvenskan games and they don't even show SHL games. Makes it easier for me to watch an Allsvenskan or Mestis player than SHL or Liiga.

Reactions: kabidjan18

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Started to like him more and more. Not a top 10 guy for me but he could turn into a good player. Think he's a bit of a project though.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
How’s this kid actually over the past month? Haven’t caught a game and have been living off his tournament performance from a few months ago.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
Last couple of games he’s been 1st pair and deservedly so. He’s been solid in his own end, finding a better balance the other way on when to pinch.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
Last game they had him listed 3rd pair LD, most shifts I saw he was playing 2nd pair on his off hand. Did a nice job jumping to the Ovie spot to generate scoring chances.

Last edited:

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
I see Broberg, alongside Soderstrom, Seider and York as being in the second tier of defensemen available this year, clearly behind only Bowen Byram. His mix of size, strength and skating ability is pretty sought-after at D and he's shown decent hockey-IQ so I think if he doesn't end up being drafted top 15, he goes in the top 20-25 as he's a pretty safe bet to eventually be at least an NHL regular, with a decent shot at being a good top-4 D.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Figuring out if his hockey IQ is there or not is everything with Broberg. All the other tools are there,hockey IQ will ultimately be the deciding factor on whether or not he has high top pairing potential.

That said, even with low hockey IQ he could end up being a good 2nd pairing guy. A player like Sergachev comes to mind (not to say Sergachev is capped at being a 2nd pairing guy, stylistically he has a ton of talent/tools but lacks a bit of hockey sense, despite that he still has a lot of potential).

SuperNintendoChalmrs

Jun 28, 2002
Buffalo

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
Got limited playing time but didnt show anything when he played. Victor Söderström is honestly the better prospect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->