LD Philip Broberg - Skellefteå AIK, SHL (2019, 8th, EDM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
To be honest, while he was strong in the beginning, I thought he was sloppy in the gold medal game. He had trouble on a couple zone-exits, one that led to the 5th goal. I didn't see the Russia game, so I'll go back and check that out.
Exactly!
He is big and can flat out fly but those two glaring strips of the puck -one leading to breakaway and the other to breaky AND goal- vs Canada in the final were not pretty.
At this early stage in his dev though that’s ok. Looks like he is just learning what he can and can’t get away with. Interesting to see how he progresses this season. I like him!

It's possible he was getting more worn down as the tournament went on. I do not know the ice time stats but he seemed to play a lot of important minutes and was relied on more heavily when Soderstrom went down.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I just watched the final Hlinka tournamemt(I know welcome to 3 weeks ago).

He is definately a natural. He could already play in the pro with his size/skating. I think he needs to make quicker decision sometimes but for a guy his age his potential is through the roof. He reminds me McDonagh, such a physical beast

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
This kid has incredible acceleration and top end speed. Makes good reads as well in the defensive and neutral zones. I'm not sure his brain and hands can keep up with how fast he skates though. He seems to have good hands during early acceleration but then often bobbles the puck or just throws it in front of himself and trys to out skate everyone to it when at top speed.
At this point I have him just below my first tier of defenders somewhere in the 11-20 range. He could very well ride his Hlinka to a high draft position but he's going to have to preform well in Sweden as well.

teemussalami1

Mar 16, 2017
This kid has incredible acceleration and top end speed. Makes good reads as well in the defensive and neutral zones. I'm not sure his brain and hands can keep up with how fast he skates though. He seems to have good hands during early acceleration but then often bobbles the puck or just throws it in front of himself and trys to out skate everyone to it when at top speed.
At this point I have him just below my first tier of defenders somewhere in the 11-20 range. He could very well ride his Hlinka to a high draft position but he's going to have to preform well in Sweden as well.

Your last point is my only problem with him. Appears to be a very good player, but such a small sample size that everyone is looking at here. Let's wait for the season to start before we call him the best defender in the draft.

Reactions: McMetal

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Your last point is my only problem with him. Appears to be a very good player, but such a small sample size that everyone is looking at here. Let's wait for the season to start before we call him the best defender in the draft.

Button is notorious for this. He ranks international competition above all else. People tend to take his word as gospel so then guys get overrated all year. I put a lot more stock into more than 6 games. If you can be a major contributor on your team over 50+ that seems much more important then getting hot for a 5 game tournament, even if it is best on best. It should be taken into consideration for sure. On top of playoffs but not the be all end all of someones rankings.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Not to sound cliche...but he has is that rare D that has the "extra gear". You'll see him carrying the puck and driving the opposing defensemans outside shoulder and the opponent looks to be in good position and thinks he has him until Broberg shifts into overdrive Gets behind the D with a lane to the goal

Last edited:

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Interesting that Boqvist reported to London. Would love to see Broberg report to Hamilton but maybe he will wait until drafted in the nhl.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I love defensemen with high mobility, I think that's a tool that translates incredibly well to the NHL and can cover some flaws in a defenseman's game. But I agree, the sample size is low right now. The tools won't change, so I'm still ranking him high now, but consistency is the holy grail of a top 4 NHL D so I'll need to see that for a season before we can call him the top D in the class.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
Don't love the hockey sense, can rush the puck at a high and has some skill but that's kind of his whole game right now. Impressive for his age that he can do this but you wonder how much he can improve.

Reactions: LuckyBoeser
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad