LD Philip Broberg - Skellefteå AIK, SHL (2019, 8th, EDM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Well Broberg is also risky but his skating ability alone will get him to the NHL, Well, unless his IQ is as bad as Nathan Beaulieu, another fantastic skater but who had one of the worst hockey IQs out there in the NHL. But then again hes an NHLer largely due to his skating ability.
Broberg has high end potential, certainly higher than Pod imo.

one guy is actually known to have offensive skill, whether it's a 1st line or a 2nd line, it's up the in the air, Broberg's game does not specific any offensive abilities, and it's more just people trying to make him sound fancy with his fancy skating and so for.

Reactions: Canucks1096

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
I haven't seen him very much until he was drafted.

Is Eric Brewer a decent comparable?

Miro Heiskanen is a good comparable if he becomes as good as he can be. He is solid in every area, good defensively and going forward, and has a brilliant first pass and great skating. There are question marks over his puck handling and though but it is far from a huge weakness. I do not agree with people who say his decision making is a problem, although sometimes he takes a lot of risks. The risks usually lead to scoring chances for his team though, not against.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
I think Broberg sexy skating is tricking some people into thinking he is some future high end offensive D. When he gets to the nhl, he will mainly use his speed for defence and not offence. I definitely see in as a top 4 D, if anyone is thinking he is top pairing offensive D that can put up 40 plus points consistently. Then you are out to lunch.

Best nhl comparable that I can think of is Hedican. A solid top 4 D most of his career but didn't put up too much points but was solid Defensively and not that physical. Both had great speed and good at transition the puck out of their own zone.

Last edited:

oilynutz

Dec 30, 2007
I think Broberg sexy skating is tricking some people into thinking he is some future high end offensive D. When he gets to the nhl, he will mainly use his speed to mainly for defence and not offence. I definitely see in as a top 4 D, if anyone is thinking he is top pairing offensive D that can put up 40 plus points consistently. Then you are out to lunch.

Best nhl comparable that I can think of is Hedican. A solid top 4 D most of his career but didn't put up too much points but was solid Defensively and not that physical. Both had great speed and good at transition the puck out of their own zone.

He definitely has the potential to be a top pairing 40 point dman. You're out to lunch if you can't see that.

Reactions: ManitobaKid

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Miro Heiskanen is a good comparable if he becomes as good as he can be. He is solid in every area, good defensively and going forward, and has a brilliant first pass and great skating. There are question marks over his puck handling and though but it is far from a huge weakness. I do not agree with people who say his decision making is a problem, although sometimes he takes a lot of risks. The risks usually lead to scoring chances for his team though, not against.

At lower levels, this tends to be the case. These highly touted kids are bigger, faster, smarter, stronger than a lot of the players they're going up against. Their risks tend to make them look like absolute monsters.

It's a good sign, but one that has to continue to progress in the higher levels.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I think Broberg sexy skating is tricking some people into thinking he is some future high end offensive D. When he gets to the nhl, he will mainly use his speed to mainly for defence and not offence. I definitely see in as a top 4 D, if anyone is thinking he is top pairing offensive D that can put up 40 plus points consistently. Then you are out to lunch.

Don Cherry?. Is that you?

He was the best dman at this last showcase and was more than physical, and with tons of end to end rushes

Reactions: AB13

Captain Clutch

May 2, 2012
I have to say I was very impressed by his play at the WJSS, I was very skeptical given a lot of the negative reviews of his play headed into the draft but he was studly during this showcase. I can't wait to see if he is able to replicate that level of play at the World Juniors. Kid can really skate and move the puck, very impressive.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
He definitely has the potential to be a top pairing 40 point dman. You're out to lunch if you can't see that.

I think the sexy skating is tricking you into thinking he can be an offensive defencemen. Any Offensive D needs hockey IQ to put elite point totals, he is the Jake Virtanen on Defence, elite skating and good size but when skating the puck up ice. Nothing happens be cause they don't have hockey IQ to do much with it.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I think the sexy skating is tricking you into thinking he can be an offensive defencemen. Any Offensive D needs hockey IQ to put elite point totals, he is the Jake Virtanen on Defence, elite skating and good size but when skating the puck up ice. Nothing happens be cause they don't have hockey IQ to do much with it.
Rasmus Ristolainen has elite hockey IQ? Interesting.

Anyway, not a fan of Broberg but this storyline's got a lacking plot. Broberg specifically would be an offensive defenseman.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019

Anyway, not a fan of Broberg but this storyline's got a lacking plot. Broberg specifically would be an offensive defenseman.

Broberg is far from an offensive defenseman. He is brilliant defensively, that is probably where is he the best. He is a two way defenseman who is good offensively.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016

Offensive zone he is but not defensively

I guess we have different opinion on what an offensive D is. A player that makes end to rush but leads to nothing is not an offensive D to me.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004

I had thr exact same comparison. Bret Hedican is a great comparison.

Reactions: Canucks1096

HenrikW

Feb 21, 2018
Broberg is far from an offensive defenseman. He is brilliant defensively, that is probably where is he the best. He is a two way defenseman who is good offensively.

Interesting hot take. Or maybe you are actually better than all the professional scouts reporting where his game is at.

He is not brilliant defensively. Lol

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Interesting hot take. Or maybe you are actually better than all the professional scouts reporting where his game is at.

He is not brilliant defensively. Lol

Most scouts has repeatedly said he is good defensively, what are you talking about? And I can still voice my own opinion even though I am not a scout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad