D Nolan Allan - Seattle Thunderbirds, WHL (2021, 32nd, CHI)

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Have been watching this kid since his 1st bantam year and figured he deserves a thread as he's someone to watch over the next couple of years. Is a awesome skater who loves to jump into the rush and has a high IQ. Doesn't shy away from the physical side and is pretty reliable in his own zone already. He was the 3rd pick in last years WHL draft and has had a great year for the Saskatoon Blazers which he's currently destroying the playoffs with. Had a good showing at the CWG for team Saskatchewan and should be a key piece for PA going ahead on their blue line along with Kaiden Guhle.

Nolan Allan at eliteprospects.com

FrankGallagher

Oct 6, 2015
I think next years group of WHL rookies is going to be great. Allen, Lambos, Stankoven, Guenther, Sillinger, Stringer, Tschigerl and many more with a ton of promise

Reactions: wetcoast

Trav

Aug 2, 2005
Curious to watch the battle between Allan and Lambos this next season. Lambos seems to be the most talked about but when we start to look at numbers and etc, wonder how they're going to compare

Reactions: Dominance

Huck Cheever

Sep 27, 2018
This kid is underrated as F. Can't wait for him to show ppl how good he is this year. Could become best defender out of his draft class.

Reactions: FrankGallagher

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think this guy is probably a first round level prospect early on.

Good size and skating, some offensive ability, and a good defensive player. Not the most dynamic defensemen from the back-end, but plays a good two way game and has enough offense. I thought he was the best defensemen prospect in the Russia-Canada game.

Ovechkin962

Aug 25, 2010
Breakout year next season? He was a high pick in the WHL bantam draft two years ago. Is he similar to his teammate Kaiden Guhle?

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
yeah just like Guhle he's a big kid who skates really well and plays a physical style. Was buried on the 3rd pair like Guhle last year so should have an expanded role. Massella+Hayes aged out so Guhle, Kosior and Allan will be their main dmen next year.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
The nephew of former NHLer Chad Allan, Prince Albert defenceman Nolan Allan is carving his own path to the NHL. Drafted in the first round, third overall of the 2018 WHL Bantam Draft, Allan has not disappointed. Known for his defensive game, the offensive numbers are pedestrian though. In 16 games with Prince Albert this season Allan scored a goal and an assist for two points. He also picked up two goals and three assists for five points in five games while on a short loan with the La Ronge Ice Wolves in the SJHL. Allan really made his presence felt in a checking role for Team Canada at the IIHF Under-18 World Championships. While he scored just a goal and an assist, he was a big part of the Canadian Team that won Gold in Texas.

In 2019-20 Allan scored two goals and eight points in 56 games with Prince Albert. He was also selected to play for Team Canada Red at the Under-17 World Hockey Challenge. Allan picked up one assist in five tournament games. Allan got in seven games with Prince Albert as an underage in 2018-19. He picked up one assist.

2021 NHL Draft #69: Nolan Allan Scouting Report - LWOS

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
I mean, we knew it was going to be a hard draft to predict, but damn...

I'm sorry Chicago, but I just don't see Allan as a first round pick...

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think he'll play in the NHL. I've seen worse picks. He's good defensively, can skate, heavily relied upon in his age group for Canada at the international level. Good defensive sense. Is he that much worse than the Guhle pick from last year? I'm not convinced he is. He likely does not have realistic first pair upside because of the lack of offensive upside, but he's an athlete that can defend with good defensive sense. Those guys play in the NHL, and are very safe picks.

I don't even think he was the worst pick of the first round, and I'm not referencing Mailloux.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Terrible pick given who was still available. Also, if Bowman wasn’t always being fleeced by Columbus, the first round swap should have been the 25th pick for the 11th pick.

Nauseating and horrific.

Reactions: uncleben

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Terrible pick given who was still available. Also, if Bowman wasn’t always being fleeced by Columbus, the first round swap should have been the 25th pick for the 11th pick.

Nauseating and horrific.
Stan would have drafted Nolan Allan at 25 lol so doesn't matter

Reactions: uncleben

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Yeah he's not worth a 1st rounder because of the improvement he still needs to make but he's a good bet to be a nhler. Has always had offense coming up through bantam and midget so do think he has more to show over the next 2 years in the whl. Is an amazing skater and can shutdown everything so worst case you can get a 3rd pairing pker out of him which isn't ideal for a 1st but still get a player out of him. PA should move Guhle this year so improved role would help imo

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Had a decent year in the WHL. Obviously rough seeing Zellweger go 2 picks later but I think he had better years than some guys taken ahead of him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad