D Nicolas Hague - Missisauga Steelheads, OHL (2017, 34th, VGK)

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Hague always had the ability to score goals. 14 in his rookie year, 18 in his draft year, and now 33 in his D+1. He was always a first rd pick to me. LV did a nice job getting value at #34 for him. Still a developing player so really we still don't know what we have here. But it is promising to see him improve his stats year by year. For big kids at this age, this is what you want to see. Still like him.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
He's 6'6 at 18 years old. I wouldn't worry TOO much about his skating. Even if he can get it to above average, that's perfectly fine given how ridiculously tall he is for D. He's 1 inch shorter than Chara, who made a career out of being able to use his stick to stop zone entries.
A lot more easily said than done at that size. It's probably the biggest reason the NHL isn't completely populated with behemoths.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
12 points in his last 6 games. :eek:

I'd still like to hear more about how he's been in his own zone though...
He’s not other worldly, but he’s mean and highly competitive, has a great poke check, and is quite agile for his size. Plays on the PK if I’m not mistaken (someone who’s seen him recently please confirm). He’s the kind of guy that opposing forwards hesitate for a moment about taking the puck to his side or going into his corner to retrieve loose pucks.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
I was laughing at myself for having Hague as the 3rd best dman in the draft on my pre-draft rankings but I still don't know how he fell to the second round.

He's huge, talented, and skates well. And he's as mean as anyone. Who doesn't want a guy like that?

Reactions: 99664987

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Something to keep in mind for those stat watchers though...Tippett was in the NHL to start the season. He is 17 games behind Hague. Owen has a higher ppg as he should.

Hague out scoring McLeod is a huge surprise though. A pretty highly touted forward getting outscored by a two way defenseman is impressive.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Something to keep in mind for those stat watchers though...Tippett was in the NHL to start the season. He is 17 games behind Hague. Owen has a higher ppg as he should.

Hague out scoring McLeod is a huge surprise though. A pretty highly touted forward getting outscored by a two way defenseman is impressive.

Ha-haa...i was waiting for this post, yeah i knew about Tippett, 17 fewer to Hague,
but you'd still think he'd out score Hague, am i right?.

Isn't there people who think Tippett is awesome prospect?,
- i think him to crack Panthers rosters is gonna be tough.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
I was laughing at myself for having Hague as the 3rd best dman in the draft on my pre-draft rankings but I still don't know how he fell to the second round.

He's huge, talented, and skates well. And he's as mean as anyone. Who doesn't want a guy like that?
there were conflicting reports about his skating near the time of his draft actually,
i really wanted him as a leafs fan, 2nd most coveted dman at the draft in terms of availability and potential.

Sheik Yerbouti

Sep 12, 2008
Just an insanely deep draft last year. So much talent found in the late first and early 2nd.

Vaselainen, Frost, Tolvanen, Kostin, Heponiemi, Hague.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Just an insanely deep draft last year. So much talent found in the late first and early 2nd.

Vaselainen, Frost, Tolvanen, Kostin, Heponiemi, Hague.
Lind fits in that group too, just off the top of my head. It’s been interesting to see how the “reputation” of last year’s draft has shifted.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
Lind fits in that group too, just off the top of my head. It’s been interesting to see how the “reputation” of last year’s draft has shifted.

I don’t know that the reputation of the draft has changed at all yet. It’s always been that the draft lacked the high-end talents like a Matthews/Laine/McDavid/any other true franchise player. The depth was never in question, at least to those that followed the draft. It’s still yet to be seen if anyone develops into a high-end franchise player.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I don’t know that the reputation of the draft has changed at all yet. It’s always been that the draft lacked the high-end talents like a Matthews/Laine/McDavid/any other true franchise player. The depth was never in question, at least to those that followed the draft. It’s still yet to be seen if anyone develops into a high-end franchise player.
Granted. I was referring to the general feel people on here had for it, as there were times last year when the concept that it was a historically bad draft class was commonplace. Now, though, with Nico and Nolan (as of late) showing that they could very well be 1Cs fairly soon, high-drafted players like Heiskanen, Pettersson, and Vilardi dominating their respective leagues, great WJC performances from other high-drafted players in Makar, Andersson, and Mittelstadt, and numerous other first and second rounders (i.e. Chytil, Frost, Hague) having great seasons, while no one has really disappointed, the commonly-held reputation of the draft seems to me to be significantly higher.

Auston mcdavid

Mar 10, 2018
I would also classify Suzuki a steal 93 points in 61 games for the OHL he reminds me a lot of barzal when it comes to skill and comparison

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
This makes me feel like a genius lol. I was raving about Nic Hague at the draft last year. I wanted the blues to take him #31 so badly(Tho kostin was my next choice). I had him above guys like poehling, vaakanainen, jokiharku etc.... I was lucky enough to get access to his shifts cut from multiple games last year. Came away extremely impressed, pretty mobile for a 6'6 D, can control the puck well, rips absolute bombs but actually gets his shots through because he always has his eyes up when he has the puck, can walk the line quick w/ his head up and make plays. Good stick defensively, obviously great reach and willingness to play physical. All the tools to make it at the next level. I see a lot of parayko in him(tho hague hits the net more lmao)

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
This makes me feel like a genius lol. I was raving about Nic Hague at the draft last year. I wanted the blues to take him #31 so badly(Tho kostin was my next choice). I had him above guys like poehling, vaakanainen, jokiharku etc.... I was lucky enough to get access to his shifts cut from multiple games last year. Came away extremely impressed, pretty mobile for a 6'6 D, can control the puck well, rips absolute bombs but actually gets his shots through because he always has his eyes up when he has the puck, can walk the line quick w/ his head up and make plays. Good stick defensively, obviously great reach and willingness to play physical. All the tools to make it at the next level. I see a lot of parayko in him(tho hague hits the net more lmao)

But would it be a tad let down if he'd become Parayko like?. I mean no disrespect towards Parayko.

I see more similarities with Pronger,with the obvious difference(s).
Now this is just my opinion, everyone haves their own opinions about this great young talent.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
I would also classify Suzuki a steal 93 points in 61 games for the OHL he reminds me a lot of barzal when it comes to skill and comparison

This is correct. I'd like to add one thing (unrelated to this part)
-although 13th overall pick isn't that much of a steal

Nick's younger brother Ryan is (in my mind) better of the two brothers
he is two years younger, bigger, faster and might i add; better (even more skilled)
I think he gets drafted in the top 10 in the 2019 NHL draft.

Auston mcdavid

Mar 10, 2018
Ryan Suzuki and Arthur kaliev look like top 10 picks in 2019
How would you rank steals of the draft for the 2017 draft

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
But would it be a tad let down if he'd become Parayko like?. I mean no disrespect towards Parayko.

I see more similarities with Pronger,with the obvious difference(s).
Now this is just my opinion, everyone haves their own opinions about this great young talent.

I don't think it'd be a letdown if he were Parayko like at all. Parayko is one of the best 2nd pair D in the game. 6'5 can absolutely fly. Very solid all around defensively and can make some plays offensively. I think parayko has another gear to hit personally and i believe he can get there. Like honestly if 55 hit the net more, he'd score more goals(obvi) and would put up a lot more assists just off his shot creating rebounds and chaos around the net. If Nic Hague a 2nd rd pick(tho i thought shoulda been 1st) becomes colton parayko then it's a big win IMO...if he becomes anything like pronger then it would be the steal of the century.

Reactions: 99664987

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
how would you rank all of the steals so far in the 2017 nhl draft
Depend who you deem a steal. Off the top of my head: Robert Thomas, Eeli Tolvanen, Nic Hague, Kole Lind, Aleksi Heponiemi,Maxime Comtois(to me could be a steal), Lucas Elvenes?, Tyler steenbergen?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->