D Matthew Robertson - Edmonton Oil Kings, WHL (2019, 49th, NYR)

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Matthew Robertson has had a great year as a 16 year old in the WHL, notching 24 points over the course of the year and earning himself a place in the Canadian U18 WC camp. The 6’3 defender has some great potential and looks to catch the attention of scouts.

ValeriKamensky

May 8, 2013
I’m just starting to learn this Draft-class, especially I haven’t more information about defensemen. But right now Robertson is the best defenseman of Draft 2019. Really don’t see holes in his game. Despite he’s 17 y.0. he shows pro-style already. For me his level between Heiskanen and Dobson in theirs draft seasons.
Definitely I’ll be watching him

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
I’m just starting to learn this Draft-class, especially I haven’t more information about defensemen. But right now Robertson is the best defenseman of Draft 2019. Really don’t see holes in his game. Despite he’s 17 y.0. he shows pro-style already. For me his level between Heiskanen and Dobson in theirs draft seasons.
Definitely I’ll be watching him
Byram, York, Honka, and Soderstrom are much better than Robertson. At the moment anyways, lets see how he does this year first.

Reactions: kroypuck

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Don't forget Broberg

I disagree. Robertson plays a game where he'll likely play in the NHL, even if its not as an upside player. Broberg fits the "new NHL" bumper stickers because of size, skating, puck carrying, but the rest of his game seems pretty average. I think both are potential first round prospects, but I think Robertson is pretty much a first round lock, while Broberg could end up more of a second round pick without a good season.

Reactions: 99664987

kroypuck

Mar 23, 2018
Seems to me that most of the top defenseman in the 2019 draft are safe picks.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Defenceman are generally quite high-risk and they can have a hard time maintaining their stock. There isn't one guy in this draft I'd call a lock to be a top-pairing guy. It doesn't have a Dahlin, Jones or Doughty, or even an Ekblad or EJ. Part of it is injuries, but just look at how many defenders who go in the top 5 in the past decade have failed to become much more than middle pairing or even that. It is a pretty long list.

Reactions: Tryamkin

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Defenceman are generally quite high-risk and they can have a hard time maintaining their stock. There isn't one guy in this draft I'd call a lock to be a top-pairing guy. It doesn't have a Dahlin, Jones or Doughty, or even an Ekblad or EJ. Part of it is injuries, but just look at how many defenders who go in the top 5 in the past decade have failed to become much more than middle pairing or even that. It is a pretty long list.
Agreed here, there’s no standout surefire name this year.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I disagree. Robertson plays a game where he'll likely play in the NHL, even if its not as an upside player. Broberg fits the "new NHL" bumper stickers because of size, skating, puck carrying, but the rest of his game seems pretty average. I think both are potential first round prospects, but I think Robertson is pretty much a first round lock, while Broberg could end up more of a second round pick without a good season.
I don't see the average of Broberg. I need more view of him but if anything he looked solid in every aspect of the game with incredible physical tools. I think Broberg has the best potential of all defenseman.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I don't see the average of Broberg. I need more view of him but if anything he looked solid in every aspect of the game with incredible physical tools. I think Broberg has the best potential of all defenseman.
I'd be worried he might just be a big and extremely athletic guy dominating lower level competition but might not click higher-up. He had some serious mental lapses in the Gold Medal Hlinka game vs Canada. He is a Chychrun/Wilde type kid tools wise, so if he has the IQ to match he'll be elite, but that's still a sizable question mark.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
He and Fix-Wolansky were pretty much the only reasons to watch the Oil Kings last year. Robertson has first round hype and projection and deservedly so.

I hope ghosts of Oil Kings busts past don’t hurt his draft status. He’s in the 15-25 range right now IMO but he could easily climb from there.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I'd be worried he might just be a big and extremely athletic guy dominating lower level competition but might not click higher-up. He had some serious mental lapses in the Gold Medal Hlinka game vs Canada. He is a Chychrun/Wilde type kid tools wise, so if he has the IQ to match he'll be elite, but that's still a sizable question mark.
I watched the same game and Canada were very hard to play against and overwhelmed sweden a lot. Broberg still made very nice outlet passes and opened lane for his teammates. His partners at defense were awful. I did not see anything related to poor IQ or bad positioning from him.

I liked actually that he was the only swedish defenseman taking charge by pinching offensively and using his speed in the neutral zone. His acceleration is NHL ready.

He reminded me a Roman Josi on steroid. His shot is very average if you want to find a flaw but I did not see any mental lapse or poor defensive decision from him.

He might needs refining a bit his edge work as he looked sometimes unbalanced while skating at full speed.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I watched the same game and Canada were very hard to play against and overwhelmed sweden a lot. Broberg still made very nice outlet passes and opened lane for his teammates. His partners at defense were awful. I did not see anything related to poor IQ or bad positioning from him.

I liked actually that he was the only swedish defenseman taking charge by pinching offensively and using his speend in the neutral zone. His acceleration is NHL ready.

He reminded me a Roman Josi on steroid. His shot is very average if you want to find a flaw but I did not see any mental lapse or poor defensive decisions.
Um, he skated right into danger and had a terrible turnover at his own blue-line for the 5th goal. At the 5.22 minute mark of this video. While not in this highlight pack, I also know he had another bad turnover early in the 2nd forced by Holloway.

Reactions: 99664987

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Um, he skated right into danger and had a terrible turnover at his own blue-line for the 5th goal. At the 5.22 minute mark of this video. While not in this highlight pack, I also know he had another bad turnover early in the 2nd forced by Holloway.

That's not poor IQ that's him trying to do too much with his physical tools while his team is trailing. Something that many NHLer do (PK Subban for example) If he was constantly creating bad turnovers or losing his coverage I would worry but I did not see that.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
That's not poor IQ that's him trying to do too much with his physical tools while his team is trailing. Something that many NHLer do (PK Subban for example) If he was constantly creating bad turnovers or losing his coverage I would worry but I did not see that.
That's bad risk assessment which is part of hockey IQ. He had a similarly bad turnover early in the 2nd. Look, I'm not saying he's dumb, but I haven't seen extremely high hockey-iq. He has tools, but I need to see more games before I'd say its a strength. He skated right into trouble there and had a very bad turnover as the last man back in a close game to basically give up what is a clinching goal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad