LD Marshall Warren (2019, 166th, MIN unsigned; signed by NYI)

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I feel like people are sleeping on him a bit. Looks like a solid PPQB and nimble skater who played well in the USHL last year. At 5'11 he's not too terribly small and could grow some, too.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I feel like people are sleeping on him a bit. Looks like a solid PPQB and nimble skater who played well in the USHL last year. At 5'11 he's not too terribly small and could grow some, too.

Seems to be a good skater. Not bad in his own zone. Looks like he could be an NHLer but I don't see a lot of upside.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Seems to be a good skater. Not bad in his own zone. Looks like he could be an NHLer but I don't see a lot of upside.
He outproduced York, who is getting more attention, by four points in the USHL last year in only one more game. And he looked really sharp as a blueline roamer on the PP unit in the game I saw. He likes to jump up into the slot too and has a good shot when he does. I can see him being a fringe 1/2 round prospect when all is said and done in June, who maybe ends up looking like a steal when he's done developing.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
He outproduced York, who is getting more attention, by four points in the USHL last year in only one more game. And he looked really sharp as a blueline roamer on the PP unit in the game I saw. He likes to jump up into the slot too and has a good shot when he does. I can see him being a fringe 1/2 round prospect when all is said and done in June, who maybe ends up looking like a steal when he's done developing.

He also played 60 games to Yorks 38 games outside of the USHL.

Cam York - 25 points in 38 games (0.66 PPG)
Marshell Warren - 30 points in 60 games (0.50 PPG)

Then Cam York got the callup to the U18 because of his better play there.

Warren is a good young dman but I think York is well ahead of him so far, that could change this year. To me York is in the dog fight for best dmen in the draft. Warren is in the next tier below that.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
He also played 60 games to Yorks 38 games outside of the USHL.

Cam York - 25 points in 38 games (0.66 PPG)
Marshell Warren - 30 points in 60 games (0.50 PPG)

Then Cam York got the callup to the U18 because of his better play there.

Warren is a good young dman but I think York is well ahead of him so far, that could change this year. To me York is in the dog fight for best dmen in the draft. Warren is in the next tier below that.
Never said he was a better prospect than York (although I feel like first dman off the board is a little too much for York), but I think he's closer than some think and is at least so far a legit prospect. He shouldn't be buried just because he happens to be part of a phenomenal draft year from the USNTDP.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

The points don't matter. That team scored a trillion goals last year. Don't regard the points.

Warren is a vanilla player. I agree with what Daximus said. I think he could be like a late second type of player, but probably won't have the type of upside to justify taking him in the first.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Never said he was a better prospect than York (although I feel like first dman off the board is a little too much for York), but I think he's closer than some think and is at least so far a legit prospect. He shouldn't be buried just because he happens to be part of a phenomenal draft year from the USNTDP.

York has the ability to compete with Byram and Honka I think. Byram has the edge for me but York and Honka could both make up ground.

kroypuck

Mar 23, 2018
He has the skills I just don't see the smarts as much as others do. He reminds me of Bode Wilde a little in that he has the tools but seems to make some bonehead plays sometimes. Maybe that will change this year, but I still don't see any of the USNTDP defenseman going ahead of York in the draft. I still think the 01 birth year's defenseman are getting slightly overlooked because of the insane amount of forward prospects in this years draft. We could look back at this draft and find a lot of steals in the 3-7 round range.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
I'm interested to see where Warren goes. From my time watching the USNTDP this year, he's shown himself to be a really smart and capable defenseman. Good skater, sharp passer, good positioning. He doesn't have a particularly hard shot, but he's really effective at getting it on net for a rebound or deflection. This is a guy I'd be happy to see the Wings' take a swing on in the second round.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
lol, I am pretty much going to assume when I see committed to Harvard, and your last name isn't Donato, you simply will not be going there.....

I think what happens is young kids get offered from Harvard and ITS HARVARD so you probably accept the verbal. That being said over the next few seasons the player understands how much work on and off the ice it takes to get the next level and that leaves less time to hit the books....thus going to Harvard and excelling at hockey are very difficult to things to accomplish at the same time.

UNITEDSTATESOFHOCKEY

Jan 5, 2018
I'm interested to see where Warren goes. From my time watching the USNTDP this year, he's shown himself to be a really smart and capable defenseman. Good skater, sharp passer, good positioning. He doesn't have a particularly hard shot, but he's really effective at getting it on net for a rebound or deflection. This is a guy I'd be happy to see the Wings' take a swing on in the second round.

you know You mostly described a winger in your description of his game right

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
you know You mostly described a winger in your description of his game right

Ok, I guess I'll clarify my comments then.

Good skater: Warren is quick enough to get back and defend the rush if his team turns the puck over in the offense zone. He's also shown a good ability to carry the puck through the neutral zone.

Sharp passer: He's shown a good breakout pass and cycles the puck well in the offensive zone.

Good positioning. Warren's exhibited a good sense of when to pinch and keep play in the offensive zone and when to fall back and defend. When skating back he's usually well-positioned to keep the opposing winger out wide. He keeps an active stick and shows a nice ability to interrupt passing lanes.

Shot effectiveness: He's got a solid, accurate shot and he shows a good awareness of when to keep the cycle going and when he's able to get his shot through.

But yeah, there's certainly room for improvement in other aspects of his defensive game. He's not the strongest guy on the ice, he's not going to bully anyone in front of the net. At 5'11 he's got a decent frame to fill out over the next few years though, he's not exactly undersized. Sometimes his pairing gets pinned in the D-zone for longer shifts and he's got to keep his awareness up.

Warren's a smart, fairly well-rounded defenseman with a good offensive skill set. He'd be second only to York among USNTDP defensemen on my board.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don’t think he adds much offensively. He’s not bad offensively, but nothing dynamic from the back end. He’s above average defensively, but there are some size limitations, as has been mentioned. I could see him being a quality bottom pairing defenseman.

Reactions: AmericanDream

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
I don’t think he adds much offensively. He’s not bad offensively, but nothing dynamic from the back end. He’s above average defensively, but there are some size limitations, as has been mentioned. I could see him being a quality bottom pairing defenseman.
I agree. He's not a bad prospect, but I am not sure he is worth a 2nd round pick. He doesn't seem to have a high ceiling to me.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Big fan of how this kid has played in the first 2 games for USA so far.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I would absolutely take him in round 2, personally.
he definitely is one of those tweeners - 3rd round/2nd round pick...just never saw 1st round talent like some posters had been talking about prior to the year starting.

I like many of the USNDP dmen, worker B types - Thrun, Marshall, Helleson, McCarthy - Vlasic is the biggest wild card for me, will teams be enamored with his size and draft him higher than he might deserve to go??

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I didn’t like his play in the second game. He had one play in the neutral zone that helped create a goal, but wasn’t as good as usual defensively. He was better against Sweden.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad