RD Justin Barron (2020, 25th, COL; traded to MTL)

Nuckler

May 7, 2013
If the Canucks can get back a late first at the draft this guy would be a perfect target as a potential Quinn Hughes partner

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
If the Canucks can get back a late first at the draft this guy would be a perfect target as a potential Quinn Hughes partner

He'd be a perfect partner to many other defensemen than Hughes if he develops properly.

I believe he's the best defenseman available after Drysdale and actually reminds me a bit of Chabot, with how deft he looks handling the puck, how fluidly he defends against both speed and strength, off the rush or on the cycle. With a bit more confidence and some training perfecting his shot placement and puck distribution, he could be good for 30+ points in the show while being extremely solid defensively.

As a prospect Justin Barron has good size and strength for a defenseman, plus skating, very good hockey sense, poise with and without the puck, a decent arsenal of shots, underrated dangles (nothing Datsyukian but effective nonetheless), is extremely smart and coachable, and possesses the dedication to the game needed to get better. He should be a top-20 pick in this year's draft even if teams sour on him because of his injury.

Given these factors, I don't think the Canucks will be able to easily acquire the pick necessary to draft him outside of missing the playoffs this year unless they're willing to trade one of their better assets, prospects and/or future picks.

Were I Montreal's GM, I'd keep a very close look at both Lapierre's and Barron's situations. With a bit of luck, the willingness to lose tangible assets and some deft trading, we could add one or even both of them to our prospect pipeline alongside what will likely be a top 10 pick this year.

If Hendrix Lapierre hadn't had all these concussions, he'd be a top 10 pick, and Barron without the injuries is a top 12-13 pick too. Take a chance on them if your doctors are confident their injury issues won't be a problem moving forward.

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
He'd be a perfect partner to many other defensemen than Hughes if he develops properly.

I believe he's the best defenseman available after Drysdale and actually reminds me a bit of Chabot, with how deft he looks handling the puck, how fluidly he defends against both speed and strength, off the rush or on the cycle. With a bit more confidence and some training perfecting his shot placement and puck distribution, he could be good for 30+ points in the show while being extremely solid defensively.

As a prospect Justin Barron has good size and strength for a defenseman, plus skating, very good hockey sense, poise with and without the puck, a decent arsenal of shots, underrated dangles (nothing Datsyukian but effective nonetheless), is extremely smart and coachable, and possesses the dedication to the game needed to get better. He should be a top-20 pick in this year's draft even if teams sour on him because of his injury.

Given these factors, I don't think the Canucks will be able to easily acquire the pick necessary to draft him outside of missing the playoffs this year unless they're willing to trade one of their better assets, prospects and/or future picks.

Were I Montreal's GM, I'd keep a very close look at both Lapierre's and Barron's situations. With a bit of luck, the willingness to lose tangible assets and some deft trading, we could add one or even both of them to our prospect pipeline alongside what will likely be a top 10 pick this year.

If Hendrix Lapierre hadn't had all these concussions, he'd be a top 10 pick, and Barron without the injuries is a top 12-13 pick too. Take a chance on them if your doctors are confident their injury issues won't be a problem moving forward.

I was hoping Ottawa would be looking hard at both of those players as well. 2 top 10 picks already with another 1st and 3 2nds, swinging for the fence would be doable to take chances on those guys, especially if they fall. Teams with only one shot in the first round will be more likely to play it safe.

Having 2 Chabot's would be nice if Barron could be had

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018

You already have a future partner for Hughes by the name of Jett Woo. Kind of like a Suter/Weber situation, where you get your top pairing in the first two rounds of one draft.

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
How did he drop from a for sure 1st round pick to a mid/late 2nd round pick?
He had a blood clot mid-season, which caused him to miss a big chunk of games. Unclear if it will be long-term, recurring problem.

I still think he goes in 1st round. But now with season over, teams didn't have a whole lot of ice time to build a book on him after his return.

Reactions: Dominance

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
He had a blood clot mid-season, which caused him to miss a big chunk of games. Unclear if it will be long-term, recurring problem.

I still think he goes in 1st round. But now with season over, teams didn't have a whole lot of ice time to build a book on him after his return.

I don't think he will go 1st round, just like Lapierre. There is too much risk.

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
Should be a lock for the first round. Kid came back flying after the clot problems. Stronger faster.

EnglishJet

Jul 18, 2014
Nova Scotia
Are blood clots a reoccurring injury? I’m just asking honestly, I’ve no clue.

I thought the concerns about Barron were that he missed one year of development and not enough scouting time, not That this would plague him his whole career but again, I don’t know much about blood clots.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Watched the games, he was....
Anything past top 20 and hes a steal

I have seen him, he is an interesting player, but there is much risk after what happened to him. I have Cormier, Sanderson, Wallinder and Poirier before Barron. He needs to be checked out but he is a uncertainty in the top 20. I predict him going mid to late 2nd round.

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
Ranked 15th through Central Scouting for NA Skaters. Sounds like potential late 1st round to early 2nd round to me... I still think he can be a steal but he's a risky player to take with the long-term blood clot problem but thinking of what he did in the memorial cup year boy he deserves to go high he was crazy good.

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
I'm kind of just realizing that Barron actually played 34 games this season, felt like way less to me. -19 but able to put up nearly 20P with amazing defensive ability is pretty impressive if you ask me. And you know what? That really is close to Dobsons stats with Bathurst. Wow, I quite underestimated his abilities, to be quite honest I didn't see many games in the horrific 2nd half for the Mooseheads so I cant put a true statement towards him. Hope he's sent to a powerhouse next season though I don't know who may be that team next season.

PuckProspects

Jul 23, 2018

Justin Barron is an excellent skater and very solid defensively. Good at getting the puck out of the D zone. Offensive upside might limit him a bit he has some trouble creating but see him as a top 4 D and a definite first round pick that could go top 20.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
I'm kind of just realizing that Barron actually played 34 games this season, felt like way less to me. -19 but able to put up nearly 20P with amazing defensive ability is pretty impressive if you ask me. And you know what? That really is close to Dobsons stats with Bathurst. Wow, I quite underestimated his abilities, to be quite honest I didn't see many games in the horrific 2nd half for the Mooseheads so I cant put a true statement towards him. Hope he's sent to a powerhouse next season though I don't know who may be that team next season.

It was pretty ugly to see. In fact, it was so bad it made me feel some pity towards the poor guys stuck on that team, and the Acadie Bathurst Titan. A top minor midget AAA team of 15 year-olds would have performed about the same (or at least not that much worse) as that sad bunch the last few months before corona hit.

As for Barron, he's not the most creative defenseman out there, true, but I feel he's got quite a bit of untapped offensive potential. Seeing as his team got scored on so often when it allowed an odd-man rush and Barron wasn't the lone D out there defending the two-on-one, I think he forced himself to play a rigid defense-first type of game and that he would have benefited quite a bit from the opportunity to take more chances. The puck handling is good, the passing is good, the shot and skating are good, the decision-making is good, his defensive play is really strong, Barron's simply got all the skills, size, strength, and smarts to be successful.

With pro coaching and a better partner to help him out around the ice, leading to more freedom offensively, I think Barron could pretty reasonably develop into a 30+ point top 4 defenseman in the NHL.

I reiterate, if Barron falls out of the top 20, which he shouldn't, trade up to get him and you'll have a very nice defenseman for a fairly cheap draft pick investment. If him and Lapierre fall to the second round, they are insane value picks for whomever nabs them.

Last edited:

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
I remember playing Middle School Hockey and I had the fortunate/unfortunate opportunity to play against Justin Barron and his Middle School, he was in Grade 8 playing Major Bantam at the time but still played 3 games for his school. It was absolute hell and we were destroyed 8-2. I believe he had 6 points? His teams school sucked by the way, still does to this day. lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->