D Jake Furlong - Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL (2022, 140th, SJS)

Thebeastoftheeast

Sep 12, 2009
I saw this defenseman in the Q listed as a notable prospect for next year's draft, can someone tell me more about him?

Jake Furlong at eliteprospects.com

Furlong has grown quite a but over the last year as he definitely wasn't 6'1" 183 last year. Due to the pandemic I only saw two games last year live in Halifax and watched most games on TV. I was impressed with Furlong for a 16 year old D on a 12th place team, he has good offensive instincts, he made the typical mistakes that an offensive rookie D makes but also keep in mind that he learned a lot last year playing against Charlottetown 18 times as they were one of the best teams in the Q.

Furlong sort of reminds me of a Torey Krug type D, looking forward to this season as the team will be stronger even if they do a mid year selloff with the Memorial Cup hosted by the Q this year.

Reactions: Fisticuffer

Andy Lehoux

Jan 2, 2018

"Furlong is a smooth-skating, puck-rushing defenseman who showed some incredible offensive instincts and an eagerness to support the attack. His passion for the offense translated in genius off-puck movement and activation, following counterattacks and jumping into open space. His strong confidence, boldness and excellent mobility radiated as he moved around the offensive zone flowingly and made audacious pinches to keep the attack alive. Not only did he navigate dangerous areas instinctively, he repositioned himself at the blue line smoothly. Furlong is a splendid skater who enjoyed carrying the puck himself, notably showcasing great linear crossovers to gain speed and stay deceptive all the way up the ice. His outlet passes were on point as well tonight. Furlong didn’t have the chance to showcase much of his defensive abilities, but he flashed the willingness to play physically and made a great defensive slide to stop a 2-on-1. He could get beat by speedy forwards on his pivot though. Furlong’s offensive abilities are appealing, and he will have my attention for the second half of the season. I see him as potential middle-round selection in the 2022 draft."

Reactions: Fisticuffer

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
Jake is the Mooseheads all situation what I would call #1 dman now. He’s been logging close to or over 25 minutes a night. Smart and a good all around game seldom making bad decisions. Should be drafted this year.

Thebeastoftheeast

Sep 12, 2009
With Cam Whynot being out for the past few games Furlong has been asked to do more and he has played well with the added responsibility. Halifax plays in a division with 3 legit contenders so there usually isn't an easy night for him but his play has improved so much over the last year.

EnglishJet

Jul 18, 2014
Nova Scotia
It’s been a delight watching this kid grow this year, becoming a key part and honestly I’m happier when he’s on the ice then any other moose (Whynot included.) Well worth a second round punt in my opinion and would be a steal in the third.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad