D Jacob Middleton - Ottawa 67s, OHL (2014, 210th overall, Los Angeles) -last pick

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
During a recent road game in Peterborough, Petes’ head coach Jody Hull had this to say about 67’s players to watch: “On defense, Jacob Middleton leads the way as he is a very steady, reliable player who plays in all situations." And it’s a sentiment heard around the league when opposing coaches talk about the 67’s.

We spoke with Ottawa 67’s associate coach Misha Donskov about Middleton and his progression. “When we acquired Middleton, he was playing about 5 minutes a night with Owen Sound but we believed he was the type of player that we could build our young team around. He suffered a concussion late in the season and worked hard back in Stratford to get ready for this season†replied Donskov when asked what intrigued them most about Middleton.

Donskov went on to say “Middleton has good size and plays a very good two way game. He plays a very good defensive game, blocks shots, will take the body, and is very good at jumping into the play from the neutral zone in.†Donskov added “we have the youngest defense in the OHL and Jacob plays in all situations for us.â€

http://ohlwriters.com/articles/jacob-middleton-ottawa-67-s-player-profile

BondraEra

Jun 6, 2010
Bump.

There's a lot to like about Middleton. Great size. Good wheels. Plays with an edge. Plays physically. Can make a good first pass. Does most things on the ice reasonably well but he'll never wow you with his tools, but there is still room for him to get exponentially better.

I hope he is still available at #44 for the Capitals to take him on draft day.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Jared McCann said he's the toughest player he's played against. Coming from a top prospect, that is bound to increase his value. I have him in the 2nd round easily.

Oil For The Boys

Jan 7, 2013
I really like Middleton and I think there's a good chance of him being a solid number 4 someday in the NHL. There weren't a lot of positives this season for the 67's, but I thought he was one of them. Impressed me every time I watched him.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Except his coach had great things to stay about him too.

As an 8th overall selection in the OHL Priority draft, I understand the compliments from people close to him. Personally, I would take the risk of missing out on a bottom line NHL'er best case and would pass on him.

I see a dropoff in prospect status in the late 3rd round. To me, his value is early 4th round.

Mark Edwards

@MarkEdwardsHP
Feb 14, 2008
Toronto
www.HockeyProspect.com
Except his coach had great things to stay about him too.

Not saying Misha was being dishonest, but do you expect coaches to say publicly that "the kid is awful"

For us Middleton was a player who's stock fell as far as anyone in the draft this year. He struggled with the puck on his stick and his skating is a long ways off IMO. When I saw him this year he looked like he took a step backward rather than forward in his development.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Not overly familiar with him, but did an Avs themed mock this week and had him in the 4th round to Colorado. Some of the reports I read on him weren't glowing, and having Mark Edwards reinforce what I've read from other publications makes me think he's more of a 3rd round guy than a 2nd.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Is he not ranked by any of the big agencies?

I personally like the kid. I think in the right system, with the right help, he can make it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->