D Jackson LaCombe - Anaheim Ducks, NHL (2019, 39th, ANA)

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Finished #36 in the final ranking of North American skaters for Central Scouting

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
Fairly certain he put up the most points in a season ever for a defenseman at Shattuck.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Pronman name-dropped him as a potential R1 pick.

Said some teams love him. If he is a recent convert from forward to defense you can probably include the Ducks as one of those teams. Manson and Pettersson were recent switches as was K'Andre Miller, who they would have taken first round last year if the Rangers didn't trade up to the pick in front of them.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Said some teams love him. If he is a recent convert from forward to defense you can probably include the Ducks as one of those teams. Manson and Pettersson were recent switches as was K'Andre Miller, who they would have taken first round last year if the Rangers didn't trade up to the pick in front of them.

Bullseye. This is another pick in the Montour vein. I question his IQ but he has all the tools to be an impact defender. Does anyone know where he is playing next year?

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Can someone tell me how he's looked so far in college this season?
Only seen about a game and a half, plus an exhibition game, not against the best competition but not brutal competition either. Looked like a kid with a ton of talent who made a massive jump from youth hockey to top-level Division 1 play. He's making some confident plays with the puck and gets real solid ice time for a young guy (Minnesota's d-corps needed help) but he also has some growing pains. He only played a handful of junior hockey games, he looks great all things considered. As long as his confidence stays and he sticks with it he could take off in the second half. Big Ten play starts first weekend of November and they have a huge home-and-home with Duluth this weekend. Love the avatar by the way, what a throwback used to play that when I was young

Last edited:
Reactions: mymerlincat

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I haven`t seen him outside of higlights but good for him to make the jump to being a starter right away.

All I will say is that pretty much any Ducks fan got huge excitement boost when Martin Madden spoke very highly of him, a basically unknown guy, and saying he has ''huge upside''.
For other teams fans, Madden is the guy that helped to turn our franchise around when becoming our director of scouting and finding gems of Vatanen, Fowler (well, we got lucky), Manson, Lindholm, Theodore, Montour, Pettersson, Larsson (injuries have riddled him so far), and that is only from blueliners.
A short description by him on LaCombe is here from 2:52 mark:

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
I haven`t seen him outside of higlights but good for him to make the jump to being a starter right away.

All I will say is that pretty much any Ducks fan got huge excitement boost when Martin Madden spoke very highly of him, a basically unknown guy, and saying he has ''huge upside''.
For other teams fans, Madden is the guy that helped to turn our franchise around when becoming our director of scouting and finding gems of Vatanen, Fowler (well, we got lucky), Manson, Lindholm, Theodore, Montour, Pettersson, Larsson (injuries have riddled him so far), and that is only from blueliners.
A short description by him on LaCombe is here from 2:52 mark:

He's definitely a diamond in the rough. Even the little he played of junior hockey he took to it very quickly and showed immense upside on the puck

Reactions: Kalv

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
He's definitely a diamond in the rough. Even the little he played of junior hockey he took to it very quickly and showed immense upside on the puck
When we drafted Manson, Lindholm, Montour, Pettersson - nobody really knew who they were, it seemed to come out of the blue and meh picks. LaCombe seems to be exactly that guy so far.

Reactions: tealhockey

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Can anyone who watched him this season provide some insight as to how his game looked his first year of college?
I was nervous about how he would do, and early on I felt like I was really confirmed in that, but as the season went on and the team started getting results I think he showed he has what it takes. I still think he's a few years away from pro hockey but this year was a good step forward IMO. Developing confidence with the puck at the next level

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I was nervous about how he would do, and early on I felt like I was really confirmed in that, but as the season went on and the team started getting results I think he showed he has what it takes. I still think he's a few years away from pro hockey but this year was a good step forward IMO. Developing confidence with the puck at the next level
Thanks for the reply, Ducks prospects get absolutely zero talk on this board, and it’s honestly really frustrating

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He has a lot of talent, especially offensively. Did very well jumping into the rush, and was noticeable with his nice size. Needs work defensively, but at least he's not a smurf.
If he works on his defense he could be a top 4 Dman. Offense seems to be his natural talent.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
He has a lot of talent, especially offensively. Did very well jumping into the rush, and was noticeable with his nice size. Needs work defensively, but at least he's not a smurf.
If he works on his defense he could be a top 4 Dman. Offense seems to be his natural talent.
I agree, long term I think he has top four upside if both aspects of the game come along. Then you pair him with someone competent on defense and he can manage pretty well

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site

Watched a couple games live at the Mariucci Classic, plus on video before that, and would agree. You could see the learning curve in action, the confidence growing by game, and when he really activates, can be really quite dynamic up the ice and in the offensive zone. The package with the size and skating easily stands out, but I was impressed by how creative he could be with the puck as well. But still very much a work in progress, and nowhere near ready to defend in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad