D Isaiah George - London Knights, OHL (2022, 98th, NYI)

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Isaiah George at eliteprospects.com

Steady two-way defender for the London Knights. His play this season is part reason as to why 2021 second round pick Ben Roger was deemed expendable.

He’s a London Knight product so you know theres upside because of that alone. I could honestly see him be a big riser up the rankings as the season progresses.

Reactions: Dominance

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Stats aren’t eye popping but that’s some impressive athleticism. Mid-term rankings ranged from 39-84. Are we thinking second round based on him being an athletic piece of clay? Is he a pretty intelligent player defensively? Does he have some offensive tools we haven’t seen maximized yet? That backward skate is impressive. Bigger gap between him and #2 than #2 to #5 (and perhaps beyond).

GermanSpitfire

Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Stats aren’t eye popping but that’s some impressive athleticism. Mid-term rankings ranged from 39-84. Are we thinking second round based on him being an athletic piece of clay? Is he a pretty intelligent player defensively? Does he have some offensive tools we haven’t seen maximized yet? That backward skate is impressive. Bigger gap between him and #2 than #2 to #5 (and perhaps beyond).
His gap control is something I always come away impressed with, he would definitely be considered a defensive defender at this juncture but there are definitely some untapped offensive tools and we should see that more next season with more opportunities in London.

He is a relatively safe pick with limited offensive upside at the next level but he should be an nhler.

Last edited:

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
I liked his game in the top prospects game. Made a rush out of nowhere to generate red’s best chance in the third.

I wouldn’t describe his game as steady at all. Very much like Kylington, all scrambly everywhere, bobbling pucks, but eventually turning it into good breakouts and great chances. Offensive upside isn’t quite as high but would project him as an offensive #4 guy who can do your #2pp. But there could be more depending on if he an get the bobbles sorted.

GermanSpitfire

Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
I liked his game in the top prospects game. Made a rush out of nowhere to generate red’s best chance in the third.

I wouldn’t describe his game as steady at all. Very much like Kylington, all scrambly everywhere, bobbling pucks, but eventually turning it into good breakouts and great chances. Offensive upside isn’t quite as high but would project him as an offensive #4 guy who can do your #2pp. But there could be more depending on if he an get the bobbles sorted.
Kylington isn’t a good comparison IMO. Esa Lindell is what I more see in his game.

As for your second paragraph I couldn’t disagree more. He was more engaged in the prospect game than he usually is in London, yes. But i’d argue he was scrambling and bobbling pucks because he wanted to try to showcase his offensive skillset at the game in front of the GM’s and scouts since that’s the biggest knock on his game.

SimGrindcore

Mar 16, 2021
www.facebook.com
He reminds me of Jayden Struble in his draft year. Athletic abilities are through the roof.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I like the Esa Lindell comparsion, I see a lot of the similar qualities. George looks like someone who gets lost in the shuffle of things and I think some of that is his fault. I am not sure he knows what type of defender he wants to be because he has crazy athletic and skating ability, however, he doesn't really have any outstanding skills for any particular zone nor the IQ. He tries to be overaggressive at times, getting him into trouble. He tries to be physical at times, leading him out of position. He tries to stick handle, but isn't good enough. He tries to rush the puck, but doesn't have the best puck skills. I think he has a certain level of rawness in his game and it will be interesting which team he goes to because some are very "hands on" when it comes to development, while other teams tend to want the player to play his game. I quite like him though, he has a lot of tools for his toolbox to improve on in the future.

Luc Poitras

Feb 21, 2019
I like the Esa Lindell comparsion, I see a lot of the similar qualities. George looks like someone who gets lost in the shuffle of things and I think some of that is his fault. I am not sure he knows what type of defender he wants to be because he has crazy athletic and skating ability, however, he doesn't really have any outstanding skills for any particular zone nor the IQ. He tries to be overaggressive at times, getting him into trouble. He tries to be physical at times, leading him out of position. He tries to stick handle, but isn't good enough. He tries to rush the puck, but doesn't have the best puck skills. I think he has a certain level of rawness in his game and it will be interesting which team he goes to because some are very "hands on" when it comes to development, while other teams tend to want the player to play his game. I quite like him though, he has a lot of tools for his toolbox to improve on in the future.
Great assesment! I also question his hockey sense... he seems to make a lot of questionable choices with and without the puck.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Mid-term rankings ranged from 39-84.
Of the D prospects rated in that range (roughly 2nd and 3rd rounds), George falls in the middle for me. His overall tools are better than most, but there are some others (Duda, Hamara, Salin--who I think would be higher if he hadn't missed so many games) who have good tools and already show more offense.

Though I could see teams using a 2nd on George/Rinzel/Warren because if they "max out" each could be a force on the backend.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Love this pick for my Isles!!
He’ll play in the NHL before many of the defencemen drafted before him. One of the best value picks in the draft. Should have gone in the second round with many teams soon to be lamenting why they passed on George.

Reactions: SI90

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
He’ll play in the NHL before many of the defencemen drafted before him. One of the best value picks in the draft. Should have gone in the second round with many teams soon to be lamenting why they passed on George.
Hoping for a big year in London from him. I think his TOI will increase this year and he’ll be used in more situations including the PP.

shotvalley

Jan 18, 2010
Imo that doesnt look good at all. It seems that he cant let go off the puck. He has space to pass it but seems that he decided that he will try something. He goes back to blueline and seeks a another opportunity for himself. Way too easy to read and defend.

George needs to concentrate things where he is good at and try earn his career with it. Keep skating, defend wisely and hard. Keep up good work ethic.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
George needs to concentrate things where he is good at and try earn his career with it. Keep skating, defend wisely and hard. Keep up good work ethic.
?? Or you take what the D gives you, and if they're going to let you carry the puck all day long, and you can skate all day long (I bet he can with that silky stride), why the heck not?

The way he skates, and handles the puck looks a lot like Nick Leddy.

shotvalley

Jan 18, 2010
?? Or you take what the D gives you, and if they're going to let you carry the puck all day long, and you can skate all day long (I bet he can with that silky stride), why the heck not?

The way he skates, and handles the puck looks a lot like Nick Leddy.
He doesnt have exactly silky mits so im sure you understand he is not able to things like that in NHL. And even he could it is far from what is considered to be effective especially if he needs to skate 50 meters to decide what to do.

I repeat. Concenrate where you are good at and hone that.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
I like him.

Would K’Andre Miller be a decent comparison?

Similar size, also somehow underrated as prospects in terms of offensive upside. Miller is just starting to show what he can do. I think George also has a lot of untapped offensive upside…

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
I like him.

Would K’Andre Miller be a decent comparison?

Similar size, also somehow underrated as prospects in terms of offensive upside. Miller is just starting to show what he can do. I think George also has a lot of untapped offensive upside…
4th defender on his team in his last junior year.

His teammate Jackson Edward has a much more interesting trajectory.

Light years ahead of Miller who was the best American defender in his class at the same age.

Miller is indefinitely more technical, and is also 12cm taller.

At best, George will play a few seasons as a 5th-6th defender. It will probably be more of an AHL player. The player who most resembles him is Jayden Struble.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad