D Evan Bouchard - London Knights, OHL (2018, 10th, EDM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
I'm Watching the Knights - Rangers game and again i'm impressed with this kids poise and skillset. He looks like a vet with his reads and positioning, his pinches look to be well thought out and his passing is quite accurate. Now, I don't get a whole lot of viewings of Bouchard and it could be i've been fortunate to catch only strong games but it's been my experience that serious flaws are not easily hidden and don't remain hidden long.

What do Knights fans who watch him regularly think about his present and future?

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Feels like he's been in junior for 2-3 years but it's only been 1 and a half. He plays similar to Dante Fabbro IMO, good at those long-range passes and good offensively in the o-zone.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
At the beginning of the year, I viewed Bouchard as possibly the biggest liability on the Knights' defense. He seemed disinterested and disengaged--particularly in his own end; however, as the year has gone on, Bouchard has undergone a meteoric rise. He's using his hockey IQ to be very effective in his own end and, lately, is converting it into offense.

He's a strong, though not dynamic skater and is a really adept puck mover. Combine that with a good IQ for both ends of the ice and you have a very ideal combination for a modern two-way defenseman.

If he keeps playing like he has over the past few months for the next year and a half, he's easily a first rounder next year.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
At the beginning of the year, I viewed Bouchard as possibly the biggest liability on the Knights' defense. He seemed disinterested and disengaged--particularly in his own end; however, as the year has gone on, Bouchard has undergone a meteoric rise. He's using his hockey IQ to be very effective in his own end and, lately, is converting it into offense.

He's a strong, though not dynamic skater and is a really adept puck mover. Combine that with a good IQ for both ends of the ice and you have a very ideal combination for a modern two-way defenseman.

If he keeps playing like he has over the past few months for the next year and a half, he's easily a first rounder next year.

His early season wasn't great - but I thought that was more like a step back from how he finished off last season than indicative of his talent.

Overall he's been really good - he was impressive last year, too - albeit with limited time.

I agree re his first round potential.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Should be one of the top defenders for the draft was amazing in the u17s last year and carried that momentum. As others said didn't look as good in the first half but was real good in the second half of the season.

Constable

corona fiend
Mar 17, 2014
He's in my top 3 defenders for sure- obviously a lot can change between now and next June, but I can only really think of 2 defenders i'd take over him in Dahlin and McIsaac

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
He's in my top 3 defenders for sure- obviously a lot can change between now and next June, but I can only really think of 2 defenders i'd take over him in Dahlin and McIsaac

Many people don't even have him in their top 10 defenceman for the draft, I think he will open some eyes this year. Especially if Juolevi leaves and he becomes London's number 1 defenceman.

Constable

corona fiend
Mar 17, 2014
Many people don't even have him in their top 10 defenceman for the draft, I think he will open some eyes this year. Especially if Juolevi leaves and he becomes London's number 1 defenceman.

I don't even have any logistical reason which is typically odd for me; he just looks "right"

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012

There's quite a few dmen that I'd rather have over him (not including Dahlin & McIsaac). I think he lacks in speed/mobility from a stand still, and it hurts him at times. If he can improve that area of his game two-fold, he could challenge to be in that range but right now I think dmen like Woo, Smith, Addison, and Hughes are better prospects going into next season.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
He's in the 2nd tier of defenders for me Dahlin stands alone but there are things to like about Bouchard, Merkley, McIsaac, Boqvist, Wilde, Hughes, Woo, Smith, Addison and X. Bouchard and there are things they all need to work on. At this point I think it's wide open between some of these guys going into next season it's all about who has gained that extra edge over the summer. We'll find out soon enough.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
Dante Fabbro's a good comparison style wise - not dynamic but smart with the puck, big shot. Bouchard may have even more upside offensively. That said he's a liability defensively until proven otherwise, despite the relatively good playoff performance in that regard. He was borderline dreadful in his own end most of the year.

Ricklongisland

May 31, 2016
New York
This kid is having one hell of a start. 10 goals, 36 points in 29 games. He has got size and has a good write up on Elite, any reason why he is not considered top 10?

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
This kid is having one hell of a start. 10 goals, 36 points in 29 games. He has got size and has a good write up on Elite, any reason why he is not considered top 10?
Probably because people are reasonably afraid to move people around too much in case it’s just a momentary thing. But he could definitely ascend to that level in short order, like Dobson has; I can’t see how anyone can justify the latter being out of the top-10 currently, and a strong case can be made for him in the top-5.

The phenomenal defensive depth in this draft just keeps getting better. It’s ridiculous. McIsaac and Merkley, once also considered top-10 or top-5 talents, are really picking it up of late and could be back into that conversation if they continue to play like they have within a couple of weeks, if not already. What a year to have multiple first rounders.

Dahlin
Boqvist
Hughes
Dobson
Smith
Wilde
Bouchard
McIsaac
Merkley
Woo
Addison
Miller
Samuellson

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
I feel like he should have been invited to Team Canada's camp over Logan Stanley, but I am probably biased with regards to Bouchard as a Knights fan.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
This years Conor Timmins, he's insanely underrated. If he goes any later than the top 15 someone is gonna get a steal, he's close to a top 10 pick for me. People are talking about his skating like they were about Timmins last year, his skating is fine.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
This years Conor Timmins, he's insanely underrated. If he goes any later than the top 15 someone is gonna get a steal, he's close to a top 10 pick for me. People are talking about his skating like they were about Timmins last year, his skating is fine.

I feel like skating's becoming a bit of a boogeyman. If someone's skating is slightly imperfect, it has to be mentioned in their scouting report. Sure I'd like my prospects to skate like McDavid, but there are some less than pretty skaters getting the job done even in today's NHL - the fastest there's ever been.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Can't overvalue how valuable skating ability is for a defenseman once they get to the NHL. Puck-moving D need to be able to evade forecheckers and open up passing and shooting lanes.

Having said that, Bouchard is just an average skater. He's not terrible, just not explosive as you'd want him to be. The rest of his game is high end, and his stats reflect that.

Should definitely be ranked in the 10-20 range, even with his mediocre skating.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

He's top10 for me. His skating will not prevent him from becoming a top4 Dman, His offensive ability and patient approach may even have him regarded as a top2 Dman, eventually.

The biggest question mark for me is evaluating his production and shot-rate vs. his TOI. He seems to play a lot. Other top Dmen in this class don't get as much ice. So he will have to be evaluated with that in mind.

Reactions: 99664987
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->