RD Drew Helleson - Boston College, NCAA (2019, 47th, COL; traded to ANA)

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Big fan of his. Not really sure what he lacks and why he isn't ranked higher.

Reactions: Peeps

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Ranked #29 by hockeyprospect.com. Must be something about his game that stands out. Paging @Pavel Buchnevich

I'm not the right person to page if you want someone who would rank Helleson that high.

I don't see him as more than a bottom pairing defensemen. Skates and defends at an above-average level, but average puck mover and no offense.

Rounds 3-4 is where I'd rank him.

turkeyslurpees

Aug 26, 2018
Detroit
I'm not the right person to page if you want someone who would rank Helleson that high.

I don't see him as more than a bottom pairing defensemen. Skates and defends at an above-average level, but average puck mover and no offense.

Rounds 3-4 is where I'd rank him.
More just tagging you cause I value your opinion of the U18 guys. I was never that impressed with him either.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
- Tyson Barrie
- Bowen Byram
- Samuel Girard
- Drew Helleson
- Erik Johnson
- Cale Makar
- Nicholas Meloche
- Conor Timmins
- Nikita Zadorov

Can't think of a more loaded defensive system than that. Holy smokes. Helleson is a hella of a pick in the 2nd round, now I don't think it's fair to say he's safe. Sure I don't think he has a lot of dynamic or poor offencive tools, but his hockey IQ, vision, and passing ability will make him have enough offencive flair. I don't see him being a two-way guy as good as Vincent Dunn is, but everything else I see a lot of his game and talent in Dunn. Wonderful pick here by the Avs.

Last edited:
Reactions: MaKarter

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I'm still not sure on his NHL upside. He's got some interesting tools, and he's pretty raw, but he had a good tournament. He was a guy I didn't think would be ready for this tournament and would likely only make it out of USAH's lack of RHD options, but he more than proved he was ready. Our defensive group was very good overall and he was a big part of that.

Reactions: Perratrooper

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Probably was USA's most underrated player and IMHO was USA's best defender in the Gold Medal game.

He was definitely fun to watch the whole tournament and pretty under-the-radar like anyone not named York on USA's D. I think he's a player and he'll slot in well with Colorado since there's zero need to rush him AND zero need to thrust him into a prominent role. Just slow cook the kid to a great future.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
AVs defensive depth is incredible. Helleson had an outstanding WJC frequently played top line and minutes. Still raw, but a player to watch.

Reactions: KristichBabych

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Byram -- Makar
Girard -- Helleson

That's a good looking top 4. A shutdown pair of Byram-Helleson would also be strong.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
He was behind a bit of a logjam at the Avs blueline. Ducks fans, do you think he can get a chance this year? His goal is probably to play this season and burn off one year of his ELC.

Since Shattenkirk and Lindholm are the only righthanded dman left on the squad I'm thinking he will

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Looking at his footage he looks like he is has the stuff to be a two way top 4 DMan. Biggest weakness that I see is his lack of strength. For a guy his age I would think he would be closer to 200 lbs. I hope he’s not another Marcus Pettersson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->