Columbus, Ohio
dsc_0502.jpg

Birthyear: 1996-02-01
Birthplace: Mestec Kralove, CZE
Position: D
Shoots: L
Height: 188 cm / 6'2"
Weight: 88 kg / 194 lbs

"Masin has always been an effective player, defensively. He will block shots, is effective one-on-one, can clear the front of the net and has no trouble beating the opposition along the boards. Positionally strong, Masin reads the play well, throws the body and creates turnovers. Scouts want to see him improve his passing, carrying and mobility, but he has surprised this season. After only posting 6 points in his last two seasons at the U18 and U20 level, he has jumped on the scene in a big way offensively. In 39 games at the U20 level this season, Masin has scored two goals and added 19 assists for 21 points. If he continues this production and to round out his game, he should be a good option come June."

Size, good defensively, some offensive upside...?

Last edited:

Babula

May 31, 2012
Masin looked very solid in first defense pair and as a captain of our U-18 led the team to silver medal with 0+3 in 7 games.

Eyelanders

Jan 9, 2011
Really like the player. Big, strong defensively - active stick, plays the body, makes smart decisions. Offensively has a heavy shot, crisp first pass and pretty good hands. Skating is very good for a bigger defenseman, has agility and speed. Overall should be a solid mid-round selection in June.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Really liked his defensive game, solid offensive tools also. Could even be a late first rounder imo.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
The first time I saw him was the Hlinka, where he captained the team and he was just okay. I saw him for a second time mid-season and all I saw was a big defenseman who had troubles doing stuff. I just didn’t like at all what he was doing out there, but I figured it might have been just a bad day or something.

By the camp right before the U18’s, I went to see a couple of their games and I started thinking that he was actually quite good. I watched a couple games on TV and that’s where he did really okay.

More here from our Czech scout: http://futureconsiderations.ca/fcs-scout-series-radoslav-vavrina-czech/

Mark Edwards

@MarkEdwardsHP
Feb 14, 2008
Toronto
www.HockeyProspect.com
In a draft not blessed with a ton of talented Dmen, Masin does some things I like. His compete level is very high, plays physical and he is developing his offensive part of his game. The one stumbling block for me was that he struggled a bit with how quickly he could think the game. It really showed up when he was under forecheck pressure, he struggled at times to make good decisions with the puck.

Overall he's a kid with some warts that I still liked. It' a draft without many Dmen that did all that much to impress me.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Peterborough Petes @PetesOHLhockey 3m
With the 21st pick in the '14 @CHLHockey Import Draft, the Petes select Czech defender & @TBLightning prospect Dominik Masin (@Masinator27)!

Masin will fill a need in Peterborough if he reports.

Necropolis

Jan 18, 2013
Peterborough Petes @PetesOHLhockey 3m
With the 21st pick in the '14 @CHLHockey Import Draft, the Petes select Czech defender & @TBLightning prospect Dominik Masin (@Masinator27)!

Masin will fill a need in Peterborough if he reports.

I think someone from the Lightning organization (?) said that Masin is looking to play in the CHL next season so it's probably pretty certain that he'll report. Hopefully I'll be able to catch a few Peterborough games next season, really liked this pick as a Lightning fan.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
I think someone from the Lightning organization (?) said that Masin is looking to play in the CHL next season so it's probably pretty certain that he'll report. Hopefully I'll be able to catch a few Peterborough games next season, really liked this pick as a Lightning fan.
Yeah, I guess Al Murray confirmed that at the draft:

Ken Campbell ‏@THNKenCampbell Jun 28
Tampa Bay head scout Al Murray confirms 2nd rounder Dominik Masin will play in CHL next season, taken in CHL import draft this week.

Babula

May 31, 2012
bump. How is he looking so far ? he has pretty solid numbers for Petes this season. was wearing "C" on last WJC for Czech republic...

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Bump.

What ever happened to this guy? I remember him from the worlds juniors and u18's as well.
Still pretty young, what 23? 24?. - is heading back to Europe it seems
after spending in the AHL seasons 2016 - 2020.

Was almost 1st round pick, got drafted 35th overall, 6 foot 2 190 lbs LD,
5th highest d-man drafted in the 2014 draft.

Was drafted ahead of

Thatcher Demko (G) #36
Marcus Pettersson (D) #38
Vladislav Kamenev (F) #42
Brandon Montour (D) #55
Ryan Donato (F) #56
Christian Dvorak (F) #58
Warren Foegele (F) #67
Brayden Point (F) #79
Lucas Wallmark (F) #97
Devon Toews (D) #108
Viktor Ardvidson (F) #112