LD Daniil Orlov - Spartak Moscow, KHL (2022, 110th, NJD)

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Was going to make a thread for this kid, curious to see if anyone has more information on him.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Any updates on this kid ? I was wondering how his D+1 season has been going so far. I was thinking about how we lost Shakir Muhk in the trade with the Sharks for Meier and how apparently this kid was a great pick in the 4th round. I see he has played in the MHL , VHL and the KHL all in this current season. That seems orerty impressive to work your way up 2 leagues in less than a year and what makes it a bit more impressive is the fact that he is a defensman.

PizzaAndPucks

Nov 29, 2018
Any update on how his year went ? Can he play in the World Juniors this upcoming season ?

Sucks he is signed till the end of the 2025/26 season in the KHL but the Devils might have found a gem that will be worth the wait.

PizzaAndPucks

Nov 29, 2018
Is this kid a potential draft steal in the 4th round ? Does he realistically have top 4 potential ?

Reactions: Guadana

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Im starting new year of videos with video of action moments of Daniil Orlov #62. Devils top-10 prospect\top-5 defensive prospect, devils fans are not familiar with
Defenseman Daniil Orlov is #62, red jersey. Spartak vs Kunlun. 2 sept 2023.
Orlov made five shots on goal, recorded an assist, and spent 12 minutes and 23 seconds on the ice. He did not play for the special teams. In general, a pretty good game, except for the moment with the fourth goal - Spartak plays deep in the opponent's zone, the Kunlun players taked away the puck and Orlov didn`t work well on backcheck. Otherwise, he closed the gaps well, blocked driving on the net, joined the cycle deep into the offensive zone several times, making his way to the net sneaky. Excellent skating, physics is there, helps in transition, good puck control, faster and mobile on the start.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Is this kid a potential draft steal in the 4th round ? Does he realistically have top 4 potential ?
Yes, he can.
Looks like he will achive more ice time if he will continue to play this way. Coaches supported him previous season, it was injury that limit his performance season ago.
He is quite strong, 6`2 two-way defenseman with very good mobility. If we can compare him with Shakir, he isn`t as good as playmaker but still very good passer. He is much faster with his first steps. He needs to work on his positional game against the rushes, but he isnt bad at it for his age, he is good. just notice he needs to work on it. He isn`t perfect positionally on the boards but he shows good game on the boards overall and show signs of potential great work on the boards. I like his offensive potential, because with his fast first steps he can join the rush, dive deep into the zone. For now he needs to work more on the transitional and escaping, but again - nothing bad for 19 yo player who is playing in KHL.

Very impressive first game of the season. Like I said before in other topic, his production was pretty in the line with Nikishin`s production. They are both developed in the same system of Spartak. Nikishin is bigger and stronger, but Orlov is 6`2 and can gain more muscles. Nikishin is a better passer, Orlov is faster and better skater. I`m not saying that we have second Nikishin with Orlov, they are different players, but the sign that Spartak developing another good two way defenseman, are here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad