LD Daniil Chayka - Guelph Storm, OHL (2021, 38th, VGK)

Flynn84

Apr 27, 2006
Daniil Chayka at eliteprospects.com

Chayka, a 6’2”, 185 lb defenseman originally from Moscow, Russia, was the Storm’s first round pick (7th overall) in the 2018 OHL Priority Selection.

“We are very excited to have Daniil join our program,” said Burnett. “He brings a great combination of size, skating and skill to our team, and his abilities in shooting and moving the puck effectively are amongst the best in his age group.”
“We look forward to working with Daniil and helping him to reach his full potential.”

After his family relocated to Canada in 2017, Chayka spent the 2017-18 season with the Toronto Jr. Canadiens Minor Midget AAA program, posting 33 points (15 goals, 18 assists) in 45 games. At the season-ending OHL Cup tournament, Chayka tallied six points in seven games (four goals, two assists), including the overtime winner in the semi-final vs. the top-seeded Toronto Marlboros. Chayka and the Jr. Canadiens went on to defeat the Vaughan Kings in the final to capture their first OHL Cup title since 2008.

Daniil Chayka commits to Storm – Guelph Storm

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Saw him several times and the mobility and handling for a guy that large is very impressive. I've got some hockey iq concerns, but it's hard to imagine him not having success.

NamesAreHardToChoose

Sep 22, 2018
Just wanted to see some opinions.

Currently playing for the Guelph Storm in the OHL.

Currently, scouts are extremely high, predicting top 10 in his draft already, but with the steps he's taken at this young age, I'm wondering if people agree we could be seeing a top 5 pick.

Has 2 goals, 3 assists and is a plus 5 in fifteen games this year so far and just won the U-17 WHC with Russia.

Screen Shot 2018-11-21 at 7.54.14 PM.png

Mar 12, 2009
Reminds me a little of Sergachev in how he moves and handles the puck from the blueline. Maybe a bit raw, but he has good size, good skating and a strong offensive skillset from what I've seen.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Looks like he doesn't play much. Is he any good in the playoffs?

His team is super deep all around , he is playing limited minutes as a rookie in his first OHL playoffs, understandable.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Chayka with 4 assists in 3 games, is the Guelph leader in points, yeah bad start for Guelph (1 win 2 losses),
second in points is a rookie Bakanov with 3 points. - 2nd fewest goals per game for in the OHL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad