RD Charlie Kinsman - Tri-City Storm, USHL (2023 undrafted)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I hope he gets picked in 2023, but I have my doubts.

5'10 defenseman without any standout offensive abilities. He's a very solid RH defenseman. Not a standout in any area.

These types of players don't get drafted. Probably would if there were 8 or 9 rounds, but teams prefer players with more upside.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Welp, I was right, didn't get picked.

I think he could be drafted or signed eventually by an NHL team, but he's certainly not an upside play, so it's not surprising, and probably the smart money is that he's never drafted. Looks like he's at least grown to 5'11, which is better, but still an impediment for him.

11 points in 62 games this past season. Headed to Vermont next season.

My scouting report from his USHL season.

I’m a fan of how he plays. You know that each shift he’ll give his all and he doesn’t have many ups and downs. He’s a steady presence, but he’s a 5’10 defensive defenseman. Those guys are almost never drafted. It’s not a huge long shot, given that the only two things I’d say are weaknesses are that he’s 5’10 and he doesn’t produce significant offense. He’s pretty reliable in all other parts of the game and a good junior RHD. I might ordinarily say he’ll help his draft stock, if he measures in a few inches taller at the combine (like 6’0), but a 5’10 defensive defenseman probably isn’t getting invited to the combine, so it’s unlikely they’ll be any updated measurement until next season. Probably doesn’t get picked. If someone takes him round 6 or 7, I get why.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Welp, I was right, didn't get picked.

I think he could be drafted or signed eventually by an NHL team, but he's certainly not an upside play, so it's not surprising, and probably the smart money is that he's never drafted. Looks like he's at least grown to 5'11, which is better, but still an impediment for him.

11 points in 62 games this past season. Headed to Vermont next season.

My scouting report from his USHL season.
It doesn't help with the trend of Tampa Bay and Vegas recently winning Cups with a big, mobile defense.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad