LD Cam York - Univ. of Michigan, NCAA (2019, 14th, PHI)

teemussalami1

Mar 16, 2017
DOB: 1/5/01
Height: 5'11
Weight: 166lbs
Hometown: Anaheim Hills, CA
Current Team: USNTDP U17/18
2019 Eligible

Top prospect playing on Shattuck's prep team as an 01. Has scored 43 points in 50 games, and is likely to play for NTDP next year. Committed to Boston College for the 2019-2020 season.

Last edited:
Reactions: standers

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
For a U-17 year old who just got called up to the U-18's this kid is never talked about.

Will be interesting to see how he develops. Has great skating and offensive upside. While I think THN's future watch preview for the 2019 draft is incredibly flawed they have him as the 6th best guy.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
For a U-17 year old who just got called up to the U-18's this kid is never talked about.

Will be interesting to see how he develops. Has great skating and offensive upside. While I think THN's future watch preview for the 2019 draft is incredibly flawed they have him as the 6th best guy.

I don't think he has great offensive upside. He's a puck carrier more than an offensive defenseman, from what I've seen.

I think he's a decent prospect, maybe a 2nd round player. I don't understand why he was moved up. I think they got the other decisions right. Hughes moved up early, Turcotte, Caufield, Knight all were deservedly moved up. York is the strange decision. I didn't think any of the defensemen were good enough to be moved up, and if I was deciding, he still would've been like 4th choice to move up among the defensemen.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I don't think he has great offensive upside. He's a puck carrier more than an offensive defenseman, from what I've seen.

I think he's a decent prospect, maybe a 2nd round player. I don't understand why he was moved up. I think they got the other decisions right. Hughes moved up early, Turcotte, Caufield, Knight all were deservedly moved up. York is the strange decision. I didn't think any of the defensemen were good enough to be moved up, and if I was deciding, he still would've been like 4th choice to move up among the defensemen.

How would you rank the U17 defensemen?

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
DOB: 1/5/01
Height: 6'0
Hometown: Anaheim Hills, CA
Current Team: Shattuck St. Mary's Prep
2019 Eligible

Top prospect playing on Shattuck's prep team as an 01. Has scored 43 points in 50 games, and is likely to play for NTDP next year.

You got a link to his eliteprospects page?

USHOCKEYUS

Sep 16, 2014

Disagree with your assessment on York. He is clearly the number one the 17's and possibly the number one on the 18's. He's running the PP so obviously the coaches see something. He's not a guy who jumps out immediately like some other guys do. (Vlasic with size, Warren with shot, Fensore with shiftiness, etc...) The more you watch him, the more you appreciate his game. Every pass is perfect speed and angle to be received in stride, he's sneakily shifty, has a great release and is an unbelievable PP QB. His first pass on the breakout is world class. A hugely underrated quality for d-men looking ot go to the next level.
Yes there are guys who have freak skill sets, or freak size, or freak potential like Wilde, Sameulsson, Miller etc. but none of these guys see the game like York and I think every scout/coach/teammate who has seen them play 25 games each would take York every time, especially guys who have coached all of them or played with all of them.

This will cause a good debate and then in a few years you can come back to the thread and say... oops you were right.

Reactions: HighOFFHockey

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
Wow, I assumed he was Jason York's kid and he isn't.

Born in Anaheim, CA in 2001.. one hell of a coincidence. Not many hockey players from Anaheim.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
How would you rank the U17 defensemen

The defensemen aren't as talented, but its a quality group of players. McCarthy and Thrun are the two best, in my opinion. Very similar players from what I've seen. Both have decent size and defend well. They also are good skaters and rather smart. Not the best offensive players, but not without any offense, either. Warren is a close third. Good in all three zones. A little undersized, but more skilled than McCarthy and Thrun. York looked like a mobile puck mover who brings the most offense to this defense group, although I don't think he's incredibly dynamic offensively, more of a puck mover than OFD. He's slight in size, as well. I think all four are rather close in ability, all four are quality players. I would peg their draft range as late firsts to second round picks for the 2019 draft. The other two defensemen in this 6 are good, just not as good.

Fensore is a puck carrying defenseman who skates very well and is underrated defensively, but he's like 5'6. He probably will be drafted, and he's pretty good, I just don't think a 5'6 defenseman is going in the top few rounds. Vlasic is the biggest defenseman on the group of defensemen. I'm not sure about his mobility, its not very good. He has some ability to move the puck and isn't without skill. He's similar to Adam Samuelsson from the NTDP-18 team.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Disagree with your assessment on York. He is clearly the number one the 17's and possibly the number one on the 18's. He's running the PP so obviously the coaches see something. He's not a guy who jumps out immediately like some other guys do. (Vlasic with size, Warren with shot, Fensore with shiftiness, etc...) The more you watch him, the more you appreciate his game. Every pass is perfect speed and angle to be received in stride, he's sneakily shifty, has a great release and is an unbelievable PP QB. His first pass on the breakout is world class. A hugely underrated quality for d-men looking ot go to the next level.
Yes there are guys who have freak skill sets, or freak size, or freak potential like Wilde, Sameulsson, Miller etc. but none of these guys see the game like York and I think every scout/coach/teammate who has seen them play 25 games each would take York every time, especially guys who have coached all of them or played with all of them.

This will cause a good debate and then in a few years you can come back to the thread and say... oops you were right.

I hope you are right, but I don't see it. And its not like this great offensive ability shows up on the stat sheet. He also puts up the same numbers as a number of the other defensemen. I think he's the best offensively from that team, and said that recently, but I don't see elite offensive ability, more of puck-mover ability who gets points due to his transition game and above average, but not great offense. I don't think there are any great offensive guys from the program, Wilde probably the best, York might be second best. I haven't watched 25 games, maybe you have, so that might make me less qualified to talk about this, but I'm not impressed to the extent you are, and supposedly the extent the NTDP staff is.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
First goal of the game. Had 1G,1A. Fensore and Vlasic were also promoted for this game, Wilde and Miller might've been out injured.

KingTux

On espère pour Lafrenière
Aug 9, 2013
hu2l
I drafted him in my EHM 4th overall and he gave me a 45 points in his D+1 year

kroypuck

Mar 23, 2018

I agree they are all close, but York definitely is the best. He plays a more pro-style game than any of the other defenseman. His skating ability is above-average. His best trait is the way he see's the game. He makes passes tape to tape every time and always has his head up. He has a quick and hard shot, and rarely gets his shots blocked. He headmans the number one powerplay on the 18's, which is impressive. Him and Hughes are probably the best passers on the team. The difference between York and the other offensive defenseman on the team is that he takes calculated risks offensively, never getting caught up ice or causing odd man rushes. He knows when he can push up or when he needs to retreat. If he can bulk up and be a little more physical his game would be flawless.

He's definitely a first rounder in 2019 and probably top 15.

Reactions: wankstifier

kroypuck

Mar 23, 2018

6th best player or 6th best defenseman?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Who else was on the list?
Turcotte, Caufield, Ryan Suzuki, Hughes, Lavoie, Nolan Foote, Newhook, Krebs, and Dach. Its in the Future Watch issue which you can get on Zinio for like 3 bucks. It has small write-ups.

I think the list has issues, as I would take Dylan Cozens, Byram and Kakko over quite a few of those players.

kroypuck

Mar 23, 2018
Turcotte, Caufield, Ryan Suzuki, Hughes, Lavoie, Nolan Foote, Newhook, Krebs, and Dach. Its in the Future Watch issue which you can get on Zinio for like 3 bucks. It has small write-ups.

I think the list has issues, as I would take Dylan Cozens, Byram and Kakko over quite a few of those players.

Do you think York was too high or too low?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->