LD Cam York - Univ. of Michigan, NCAA (2019, 14th, PHI)

kroypuck

Mar 23, 2018
The fact that he didn't get defenseman of the tournament despite having the most goals, assists, points, and plus-minus is incredible as well.

Reactions: hmc1987

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's not great offensively, but he's great on the PP. He's going to score a lot of points without being one of these flashy offensive defensemen.

Reactions: hmc1987

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
How many 45-55 point top pairing shutdown defenseman are in the NHL right now? How many have there been in history? I like the kid, but I don’t think many know how rare it is to see a shutdown defenseman to surpass 40 points on any given year.

Niskanen has a career high of 46, Vlasic 39 in 67, Stralman 39 in 82, all several seasons ago when scoring was somewhat lower league-wide. If scoring keeps edging upwards we may see more, with the caveat that I think more teams are using 4 forwards on the PP than ever before.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
With the glut of Ds that are similarly ranked in this draft, I have the feeling this kid is going to go in the teens and make a team real, real happy, like Boston in 2016.

Reminds me a lot of McAvoy in his play style. Not the biggest, good skater, calm under pressure, excellent vision, not much flash in his game, praised by his coaches/teammates... Is at least decent at everything. I feel the fact USNDP was stacked this year will make teams doubt he was a produce of the situation, but it will be a mistake. Would be the perfect fit for teams like Montreal or NYR that need a reliable top 4 LHD... Could end up a better pick than many of his better ranked teammates.

Who would you pick before McAvoy in a redraft beside Matthews? McAvoy would be my pick at #2 before Tkachuk, Laine, Dubois, etc.

Someone else sees the McAvoy comparison? McAvoy was a tad more physical, but otherwise they fit the same mold IMO.

Reactions: Curufinwe

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
With the glut of Ds that are similarly ranked in this draft, I have the feeling this kid is going to go in the teens and make a team real, real happy, like Boston in 2016.

Reminds me a lot of McAvoy in his play style. Not the biggest, good skater, calm under pressure, excellent vision, not much flash in his game, praised by his coaches/teammates... Is at least decent at everything. I feel the fact USNDP was stacked this year will make teams doubt he was a produce of the situation, but it will be a mistake. Would be the perfect fit for teams like Montreal or NYR that need a reliable top 4 LHD... Could end up a better pick than many of his better ranked teammates.

Who would you pick before McAvoy in a redraft beside Matthews? McAvoy would be my pick at #2 before Tkachuk, Laine, Dubois, etc.

Someone else sees the McAvoy comparison? McAvoy was a tad more physical, but otherwise they fit the same mold IMO.
I think the biggest difference between the two is their temperament. McAvoy is a bit more like Subban, just a super ballsy all out type of gambler. York is a bit more cerebral, taking what's available to him. That could be a product of who he was playing with, but I do love the skillset and intrigued to see how he does when given a long leash.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

I see very few similarities between McAvoy and York. McAvoy was a lot bigger, more powerful skater, better defensive potential because he's a lot bigger. He also has a better shot.

York is very good, but more of the typical smaller defender archetype who has a high IQ, good passer, good skater. The main difference between York and most of these types of players is that he's a better defender than these most of them, but nowhere near a shutdown level defensemen.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
I see very few similarities between McAvoy and York. McAvoy was a lot bigger, more powerful skater, better defensive potential because he's a lot bigger. He also has a better shot.

York is very good, but more of the typical smaller defender archetype who has a high IQ, good passer, good skater. The main difference between York and most of these types of players is that he's a better defender than these most of them, but nowhere near a shutdown level defensemen.

I agree York is a lot lighter ( a good 35 pounds) than McAvoy was at draft time, but I see him filling up quite a bit. He is only an inch smaller than McAvoy, and I expect him to add a lot of weight by the time he gets to the NHL (in about 3 years). I don't see him stepping up in the NHL next year like McAvoy did mainly for size reason. His defensive play is already solid, and will only get more efficient as he bulks up... But you are right, he'll never be as physical as McAvoy, but I still see him logging time on the PK/late in the games when he makes it. He is a very versatile D.

Can't wait to see what he will do at the U20 next year. If he performs like McAvoy did in his D+1, then we'll know.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
York is underrated. The big question is who is going to be the best between him and Caufield/Krebs/Newhook? Hard to say.

I think the Flyers amateur scouting is excellent, and they don't miss much in the first round (aside from Morin). That should be enough to trust the pick.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
The rabid masses on Flyers twitter are freaking out because they passed on Caufield.

I mean, I get it. There's quite a few teams that should have taken Caufield. But at least they picked up a top defensive prospect that's likely a better prospect than a couple of the d-men that went earlier and they will get to add another good prospect in the 2nd round.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
York is underrated. The big question is who is going to be the best between him and Caufield/Krebs/Newhook? Hard to say.

I think the Flyers amateur scouting is excellent, and they don't miss much in the first round (aside from Morin). That should be enough to trust the pick.
Morin was another mistake in a spiral of post pronger hysteria when they opted to forgo BPA and went for what they deemed a big need.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Absolutely disappointed in this pick. Flyers went for need instead of BPA.

Seriously, why are the flyers allergic to goal scorers? They like players that can do everything to help score goals, but not score themselves.

Oh well, now we can lose 4-1 instead of 5-1

AndHeMissedTheNet

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 12, 2014

Seriously, why are the flyers allergic to goal scorers? They like players that can do everything to help score goals, but not score themselves.

How do you know they didn't draft for BPA? Have you personally seen the Flyers' draft board?

Reactions: wankstifier

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
The rabid masses on Flyers twitter are freaking out because they passed on Caufield.

Fairweather fans

Morin isn't a miss yet. We'll see what happens as big defenseman almost always take longer to develop. Give it 2 more years.

This post makes no sense. If Flyers went for "need" they would've taken af orward. They DID go BPA which is why they took Cam York!

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal

how did they draft for need when their strongest position is LHD? Ghost has to be on his way out to make room for Sanheim on his natural side!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->