LD Cam York - Univ. of Michigan, NCAA (2019, 14th, PHI)

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Just got home from the game a little while ago. York had a heck of a game. Unfortunately, he delivered a questionable hit on a Youngstown player near the boards with under 2 minutes left to taint things somewhat. Not a good way to finish a memorable night.

UNITEDSTATESOFHOCKEY

Jan 5, 2018
Just got home from the game a little while ago. York had a heck of a game. Unfortunately, he delivered a questionable hit on a Youngstown player near the boards with under 2 minutes left to taint things somewhat. Not a good way to finish a memorable night.

Obviously you don't want to see dirty plays but I love that he can bring that to the game every now and then.... He has some Jam for what some describe as a "finesse" player!

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Is it just me or is this guy wildly underrated? I have only seen a little of either guy but to me I have a hard time seeing why Byram is seen as a consensus top10 pick while York is ranked anywhere from 12 to 20. So far I like York more than Byram in pretty much every aspect of the game. He's an incredibly smooth skater who thinks the game well, delivers crisp passes, has offensive skill and is good enough defensively. I really don't see any big downsides to his game. Am I missing something with these two guys? Because at the moment I think I'd have York as my top rated defenseman in this draft.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
York doesn’t have elite puck skills and he’s not that big either. Teams will be hesitant to pick him that high, but he could rise in a re-draft. He’s a very productive hockey player.

Reactions: AVictoryDive

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
York doesn’t have elite puck skills and he’s not that big either. Teams will be hesitant to pick him that high, but he could rise in a re-draft. He’s a very productive hockey player.

He has a slight frame but I don't really see an issue with it. He's bigger than guys like Hughes, Boqvist, Brännström etc and quite similar to Heiskanen and Jokiharju in terms of size in their respective draft years. Seems like he is listed around 172 lbs but he has plenty of time to bulk up in college. Nothing I'd be worried about at all honestly. I think his puck skills are fine, might be that they're not elite but don't see it being a hindrance to him whatsoever. He's such an efficient puck-mover.

I feel like Byram has more red flags in his game than York. Honestly I think Byram is quite similar to Björnfot, I don't really see high-end upside there. More of a 2nd pair guy who is a good all-around player, but lacks any truly elite trait. With York I see a potentially elite puck-mover and skater who thinks the game really well.

Those are just my initial impressions anyway, still need to watch more footage on these guys, but I definitely like York a lot more than I thought he would considering where he is ranked and how little talk there is on him (and vice versa with Byram).

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

He has good Hockey IQ though. He reminds me of Ty Smith who also fell further than he should have (in my opinion).

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He has good Hockey IQ though. He reminds me of Ty Smith who also fell further than he should have (in my opinion).

I compared him to Keith Yandle. York is really good, but he’s not as flashy as a player like Hughes or Boqvist and he’s not considered the all situations player that a Byram or Dobson is.

I think he’ll have a similar type of NHL contribution to Smith though.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I compared him to Keith Yandle. York is really good, but he’s not as flashy as a player like Hughes or Boqvist and he’s not considered the all situations player that a Byram or Dobson is.

I think he’ll have a similar type of NHL contribution to Smith though.

I think this is true, but I also think it's a mistake underrating someone because of that. You look at guys like Heiskanen and Jokiharju and they were both pretty similar in that their biggest strengths were they hockey IQ, skating and puck-moving skills. Look at them now. Well at least Heiskanen so far but Jokiharju will be a good one too. I think York is in a similar mold. You don't need to be flashy to be successful, just efficient and that's where those guys excel.

EDIT: Actually thinking about it Thomas Chabot is another example. Heavily underrated in his draft year because he wasn't a flashy guy. He was just a very smart and mobile puck-moving defenseman. Already in his 2nd year in the NHL he's thriving as a top pair D.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think this is true, but I also think it's a mistake underrating someone because of that. You look at guys like Heiskanen and Jokiharju and they were both pretty similar in that their biggest strengths were they hockey IQ, skating and puck-moving skills. Look at them now. Well at least Heiskanen so far but Jokiharju will be a good one too. I think York is in a similar mold. You don't need to be flashy to be successful, just efficient and that's where those guys excel.

EDIT: Actually thinking about it Thomas Chabot is another example. Heavily underrated in his draft year because he wasn't a flashy guy. He was just a very smart and mobile puck-moving defenseman. Already in his 2nd year in the NHL he's thriving as a top pair D.

Heiskanen was taller and his skating was definitely on another level.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
COHEN: Is Cam York a Potential Top 10 Pick?

I feel like this article has a pretty good summary of his game. Seems like York is mainly going under the radar because he lacks that flash, but the kid is a very effective hockey player in all aspects of the game.

He's currently the top D on my board and I have him #5 overall.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Whoa!

I like York, but 5th best player in the draft? I don't think he'll produce well enough to warrant going that high.

We'll see. He has everything I'm looking for a in a modern-day defenseman.

I have no concerns about him being able to produce at the next level. He's great in the offensive zone. He's got the mobility, smarts, vision, puck and passing skills and a decent enough shot (that he'll hopefully improve as he matures to make himself a bigger threat from the blueline) to produce.

Like I said before, I think his style of play compares to guys like Heiskanen and Chabot. Two guys whose offensive upside was heavily underrated in their respective draft years. Cerebral and mobile puck-moving D is the name of the game today.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
We'll see. He has everything I'm looking for a in a modern-day defenseman.

I have no concerns about him being able to produce at the next level. He's great in the offensive zone. He's got the mobility, smarts, vision, puck and passing skills and a decent enough shot (that he'll hopefully improve as he matures to make himself a bigger threat from the blueline) to produce.

Like I said before, I think his style of play compares to guys like Heiskanen and Chabot. Two guys whose offensive upside was heavily underrated in their respective draft years. Cerebral and mobile puck-moving D is the name of the game today.
I agree with all of this. I just think #5 is too high.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I agree with all of this. I just think #5 is too high.

Fair enough. To be clear, I have #1-2 as tier 1, #3-4 as tier 2 and at #5-7 I have York together with Boldy and Krebs in a 3rd tier and it's very close between those guys for me, but with everything else being equal, York being a D gives him slightly higher value on my board.

Reactions: Kevin Musto

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Fair enough. To be clear, I have #1-2 as tier 1, #3-4 as tier 2 and at #5-7 I have York together with Boldy and Krebs in a 3rd tier and it's very close between those guys for me, but with everything else being equal, York being a D gives him slightly higher value on my board.

Where do u have byram?

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Where do u have byram?

I always find it difficult to get a handle on these guys because of the disparity of talent. Do these teams play in the same league? If so they shouldn't. Nobody watching either what's up with that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad