LD Cam York - Univ. of Michigan, NCAA (2019, 14th, PHI)

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
WHL bound?
When's the last time a high-profile American left the USNTDP to go to the WHL? You see guys like Seth Jones go when they graduate from that program but have a full draft season left. Plus, it would never happen this late. You occasionally see guys do it over the summer to the OHL (most notably Max Jones and Kirwan). My guess is, that this is related to BC losing Greg Brown who was viewed as a successor to Jerry York and their top recruiter to the Rangers.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
When's the last time a high-profile American left the USNTDP to go to the WHL? You see guys like Seth Jones go when they graduate from that program but have a full draft season left. Plus, it would never happen this late. You occasionally see guys do it over the summer to the OHL (most notably Max Jones and Kirwan). My guess is, that this is related to BC losing Greg Brown who was viewed as a successor to Jerry York and their top recruiter to the Rangers.

Not WHL but Luke Kirwan went to the OHL after a monster U17 season in the USDP.

Edit: NVM, I can't read. I see that you have him listed :)

kroypuck

Mar 23, 2018

Well they would have to make their decision before signing day either way. Kind of messed up if a player waits until late into the season to make a decision like that. You're probably right about the BC losing Greg Brown though. Will be interesting to see where he ends up.

I remember Cam Fowler doing something similar with Notre Dame and they were not happy. I think they tried to accuse the Kitchner Rangers of paying him under the table or something like that.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Well they would have to make their decision before signing day either way. Kind of messed up if a player waits until late into the season to make a decision like that. You're probably right about the BC losing Greg Brown though. Will be interesting to see where he ends up.

I remember Cam Fowler doing something similar with Notre Dame and they were not happy. I think they tried to accuse the Kitchner Rangers of paying him under the table or something like that.
Michigan tried to allege Kitchener tried to recruit Trouba that way.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I think they were preseason games, but the rest of your post isn't wrong.
some people had Warren or even others like Vlasic or Thrun ranked ahead of him...I thought I must have seen a different player than they have because this kid for me was the top blueliner for the USNDP u17 last year (then u18 after the callup)...by a wide margin. Now he seems to be getting ranked accordingly as a potential top 15 pick, I expect a very big year from him.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
some people had Warren or even others like Vlasic or Thrun ranked ahead of him...I thought I must have seen a different player than they have because this kid for me was the top blueliner for the USNDP u17 last year (then u18 after the callup)...by a wide margin. Now he seems to be getting ranked accordingly as a potential top 15 pick, I expect a very big year from him.

I’d have York and Thrun close, but York looks like the best NTDP defenseman right now. Warren, Helleson and McCarthy look like second round possibilities to me. Vlasic more of a middle/late round pick. I’d probably pick Fensore over Vlasic, but my opinion is in the minority there. I don’t think Fensore will be drafted. Probably the type of player who will need to prove himself a couple times over because of his height. It’s a shame, but I think he’s good enough to do so. Ben Brinkman looks like the top challenger to York and Thrun among American D.

kroypuck

Mar 23, 2018
I’d have York and Thrun close, but York looks like the best NTDP defenseman right now. Warren, Helleson and McCarthy look like second round possibilities to me. Vlasic more of a middle/late round pick. I’d probably pick Fensore over Vlasic, but my opinion is in the minority there. I don’t think Fensore will be drafted. Probably the type of player who will need to prove himself a couple times over because of his height. It’s a shame, but I think he’s good enough to do so. Ben Brinkman looks like the top challenger to York and Thrun among American D.

Both puck movers, but I think York has more offensive talent than Thrun.

I honestly don't think anyone watches the defenseman on this team, which would explain why some people would have any of the NTDP defenders ranked above York. Also explains why on McKenzie's poll York came in higher than expected. Bottom line the defenders in this draft are pretty bland compared to years past, but York is definitely in the A tier.

UNITEDSTATESOFHOCKEY

Jan 5, 2018

Many don't think Thrun skates well enough to be in the top end of he 1st Round with York! Brinkman is going to be interesting for scouts to figure out this year because he's going to be challenged playing in a tough conference in the NCAA when he could be playing High School hockey this season. he may struggle in the 1st half of the season.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Many don't think Thrun skates well enough to be in the top end of he 1st Round with York!

I don't think he's a bad skater. Not elite, but between average and above-average.

I don't think Thrun will go any earlier than 25-30, but I think that might be his draft range. Very solid all-around defenseman with a good chance to play on a middle pairing in the NHL is how I see his game.

kroypuck

Mar 23, 2018
How does he compare to Hughes? Better shot im assuming. What else?

Great PP QB. Decent defender, keeps tight gaps. Skates well and has a great first pass. Very reliable all around defenseman with good upside. He'll fill Hughes role nicely.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Good player. He's been moving up my draft board the last 8-9 months.

Reminds me of Keith Yandle. Best abilities are his ability to put up points. A lot of assists. He's a very good passer. Not the flashiest player, but good skater and playmaker from the back end. He'll QB the PP. Underrated defensively. Not a shutdown guy, but I think he can reliably kill penalties and at times defend other teams best forwards. I wouldn't classify him as a two way D. I think he's an offensive defensemen who can play all situations, but not in the sense that he will be the top defensemen for the team in all situations.

Last edited:
Reactions: LuckyBoeser

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Good player. He's been moving up my draft board the last 8-9 months.

Reminds me of Keith Yandle. Best abilities are his ability to put up points. A lot of assists. He's a very good passer. Not the flashiest player, but good skater and playmaker from the back end. He'll QB the PP. Underrated defensively. Not a shutdown guy, but I think he can reliably kill penalties and at times defend other teams best forwards. I wouldn't classify him as a two way D. I think he's an offensive defensemen who can play all situations, but not in the sense that he will be the top defensemen for the team in all situations.

I can definitely see Yandle. Also reminds me a little of Ty Smith from last year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
The games in person and I see on TV he reminds me of Mike Green from his Capital days

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

I don't think he's a bad skater. Not elite, but between average and above-average.

I don't think Thrun will go any earlier than 25-30, but I think that might be his draft range. Very solid all-around defenseman with a good chance to play on a middle pairing in the NHL is how I see his game.

Thrun probably is the 2nd best defenseman on the U18 team, but he’s always come across as a very vanilla defenseman to me.

Kind of like we saw with Miller last year, it’s moreso about projecting traits. This is why I think someone like Warren might go higher than someone like Thrun come draft time, even if they are in a lesser role. Similar story with Vlasic to a lesser extent (I know you don’t like him but Bob, Craig, AND HP have him ranked top 30).

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Thrun probably is the 2nd best defenseman on the U18 team, but he’s always come across as a very vanilla defenseman to me.

Kind of like we saw with Miller last year, it’s moreso about projecting traits. This is why I think someone like Warren might go higher than someone like Thrun come draft time, even if they are in a lesser role. Similar story with Vlasic to a lesser extent (I know you don’t like him but Bob, Craig, AND HP have him ranked top 30).

I think Warren is the closest to his ceiling. He’s a smart player that’s not bad in any zone, but doesn’t do anything that well. Thrun is similar in how he plays the game, but I think he’s better in most parts of the game.

Reactions: Frk It

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think Warren is the closest to his ceiling. He’s a smart player that’s not bad in any zone, but doesn’t do anything that well. Thrun is similar in how he plays the game, but I think he’s better in most parts of the game.

That’s fair, and I suppose not sticking out for a defensmen can be a good thing sometimes.

Also I think when I watch this team I’m usually more focused on the forwards to be totally honest.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
York didn't play in the game versus Bowling Green the night before Thanksgiving, so I wondered if he was injured. It appears that was the only game he missed, though, so whatever the issue was it must have been minor. Glad he's back -- the kid's a solid defenseman, and should be the first NTDP D-man drafted next year. I think Vlasic will be the 2nd to go just because of his measurables -- some scouts will fall in love with his size.

Reactions: AmericanDream

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad