LD Calle Sjalin (2017, 145th, NYR unsigned; signed by FLA; traded to BUF)

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
I am very intrigued by this obscure prospect that could be a wild card in this year draft. 6'01" Swedish defenseman playing against men in Division1 with an interesting production of 34-5-10-15. As a 16 years old, if you look at his statistics in the J18 and international play, he was among the very best swedish defenseman, had similar production to Liljegren and Brannstrom. What happened is the following year is missed the entire season due to injury (don't know exactly what happened) and he consequently fell off the radar. This season he also played in the playoff in the Allsvenskan which suggest his level of play his good enough for that league. From what I understood he decided to stay in Division1 because he played in his native city and his father was coaching the team. On top of everything, he is barely draft eligible, being born in september, which makes him that much more interesting. He played in the WJC18 this season too, anyone saw him play?
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=266116

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
That's weird. I came across him for the first time just yesterday, and then now this thread today!

Seems like he could be a good late pick

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
I was specifically watching for him at the u18s and he was pretty solid. Obviously not as dynamic as Brannstrom or Liljegren but his defensive reads were solid and he seemed like an all-round decent defenseman.

I had definitely forgotten about him when I posted in the 2017 Sleeper Defensemen thread but he's got about as good of a chance of making it as anyone past the projected top 60 or so.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
He's good, was better at the five nations in February then he was at the U18 WJC, really solid defensively. Carried Westerlund in February imo. Good skater, good size, i question the offensive upside though but he's not a pylon, can get the puck out of the zone pretty good.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
I think it's pretty fair to say he had a good debut in Allsvenskan yesterday. Led his team in ice time and sported a 19CF 1CA.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I think it's pretty fair to say he had a good debut in Allsvenskan yesterday. Led his team in ice time and sported a 19CF 1CA.

I've been telling people we have a potential steal here (still wayyyy too early) since he was drafted and one of the prospects I had hoped would be drafted by us. He was rated pretty highly before last year but seemed to drop due to injuries. Like Chytil, Sjalin is also one of the youngest players in the draft. 6'1 180 lbs. Keep an eye out for him

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
I've been telling people we have a potential steal here (still wayyyy too early) since he was drafted and one of the prospects I had hoped would be drafted by us. He was rated pretty highly before last year but seemed to drop due to injuries. Like Chytil, Sjalin is also one of the youngest players in the draft. 6'1 180 lbs. Keep an eye out for him

I was high on him pre draft and had him as one of my mid round targets, so happy NYR finally drafted one of my targets :D

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
After dealing with a lot of injuries since being drafted, which cost him a shot at playing for Sweden at the WJC this year, he's finally healthy and playing well.

He has 6 points in 13 games for Leksands in the Allsvenskan, and is playing in all-situations.

Reactions: FacepalmBenning

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Has 14 points in 20 games. Is he playing as well as his point totals indicate?

Rangers made a bad decision to not sign him either way.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden

Yes, he have been very good in SHL.

He was really good in Karjala Cup aswell. Should get more chances with Team Sweden.

His brother is a pretty good player aswell. Play for Luleå. More of a stay at home d. But Calle is the better player.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Injuries and a very unconventional career path up to this point made it a hard decision for the Rangers to sign Själin. His performance didn't really pick up until it was almost too late.

They can still sign him if they want to, but do we really need another defenseman? This team is set. And Själin's value as an NHL asset is limited. It's not really a player I lose sleep over.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Hoping he and his old Leksand teammate Rosen get going together. I don't spending much time watching him there or in Charlotte. Curious to see if he gets any ice in Rochester as they have 9 defense on their roster right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad