D Calle Odelius - Djurgårdens IF J20, J20 Nationell (2022, 65th, NYI)

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Decent size. Fantastic skater. Good puck handler and passer.

Decent smarts but his offensive IQ is severely lacking.

Reactions: Frk It

PuckProspects

Jul 23, 2018
Not much offense in his game right now but man he is a high end skater and his breakouts are incredible to watch. Has heavily outplayed Salomonsson who I think has struggled.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Not much offense in his game right now but man he is a high end skater and his breakouts are incredible to watch. Has heavily outplayed Salomonsson who I think has struggled.

I think he's been Sweden's best defenseman by a mile. At least in the USA and Germany games he was playing with Hugo Fransson and Odelius really saved Sweden's backside when Fransson made some bonehead plays.

The skating, stickhandling, passing are all there. He has played a really mature defensive game and managed the puck really well. I don't think the offensive game is where his strengths lie but I can see him developing into a defenseman that isn't a black hole offensively. Maybe a pretty solid mid to bottom pair guy you put with a risk taking puck mover.

Reactions: PuckProspects

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'm not that impressed. He can skate, but what else?

He's not one of these guys who can skate but is a train wreck otherwise. I'm not sure I see that much upside though, aside from the skating. What I saw was a guy who looked like a mid/late round player.

Maybe he'll get better. His D-1 is only starting.

Reactions: hellwar9

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
I'm not that impressed. He can skate, but what else?

He's not one of these guys who can skate but is a train wreck otherwise. I'm not sure I see that much upside though, aside from the skating. What I saw was a guy who looked like a mid/late round player.

Maybe he'll get better. His D-1 is only starting.

Pretty much. He's not a useless player by any means but there's too much pretty skating/puck handling and not enough substance.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Pretty much. He's not a useless player by any means but there's too much pretty skating/puck handling and not enough substance.

The phrase I like to use is "Game management". Odelius does that really well when he's on the ice. He has been very good at negating the other team's forecheck and moving the puck up ice. He doesn't take many risks and he doesn't get beat often. Odelius isn't flashy but he's been damn effective at what he does. If this kid shows some offense as the season progresses then I could see him being a late 1st or early 2nd rounder.

Reactions: FrankGallagher

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
What I see is a player masking really bad hockey IQ with great skating. Wouldn’t touch him with a 1st rund pick.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Any new thoughts on this guy? Seems to be a Brodin clone... there's a lot to like about that.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Pronman talked about how Odelius and Havelid were Sweden's best defensemen at the WJC U18s. Odelius also scored very well at the combine for endurance tests. And his skating ability is probably top 5 or top 10 in the draft.

Against his age group his puck management and hockey IQ shine but against pros he looks outmatched and unprepared for the faster game. He definitely needs to get stronger and I'm guessing will take 3-4 years before he's in the NHL but I think Odelius safely projects as a player.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Djurgardens IF has become the premier prospect development team in all of Europe and this year is no different. In defenceman Calle Odelius, they have produced another gem. Odelius bounced around a number of teams/leagues this season, both in the Djurgardens system and with the Swedish National Teams. He was successful at nearly every level. He spent most of his season in the J20 league. Odelius put up seven goals and 30 points in 43 games. He also added two assists in six playoff games as Djurgardens made the league final. He also played in four playoff games at the Under-18 level. Odelius picked up a goal and three points and helped the team win the championship. Over the season, his play earned him an SHL call-up where he appeared in seven games.

Hockeyfrilla

Swe prospect fanatic
May 25, 2008
Sweden
Unfortunately he got injured and will miss up to 3 months. Would be a returnee and a lock for Sweden at the World Junior Championships in Gothenburg.

Reactions: SI90

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Bates hearing this. Hes probably the isles most highly ranked defensive prospect at the moment along with Geroge.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad