D Brandt Clarke - Ontario Reign, AHL (2021, 8th, LAK)

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
4th overall in the OHL draft. Can someone tell me more about him?
Good size, uses it effectively if not aggressively. Very quick and agile skater in every direction, but his greatest strength is his IQ. Makes great passes to start the rush and in the offensive end and always knows exactly when to pinch, drift over to collect the puck from a pinned opponent, etc. I presume his shot will naturally improve as he continues to add strength. Chabot-like without as much audacity. A potential top-10 pick who would likely vie for first d-man off the board if the draft was today.

Reactions: d rake and slumpy43

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
Clarke is quite possibly the best Canadian prospect for 2021. Figured he deserves a thread bump, as he just scored a hat trick in his second preseason game.

Can confirm even for an OHL pre-season game he was far and away the most talented player out there. Didn't realize how big he was too (and how well he skates).

This guy has star potential written all over him. Looks like an elite version of Chris Bigras during his OHL heyday.

Reactions: Dominance

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Can confirm even for an OHL pre-season game he was far and away the most talented player out there. Didn't realize how big he was too (and how well he skates).

This guy has star potential written all over him. Looks like an elite version of Chris Bigras during his OHL heyday.
Incredible all-around skillset, there are zero stand-out flaws to his game. The combination of intelligence, speed, and puck skills is, as you say, immediately noticeable as on another level. Add in the big frame that he has yet to really start growing into, and we have a real candidate to be the first defenseman to go 1OA since Dahlin.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Incredible all-around skillset, there are zero stand-out flaws to his game. The combination of intelligence, speed, and puck skills is, as you say, immediately noticeable as on another level. Add in the big frame that he has yet to really start growing into, and we have a real candidate to be the first defenseman to go 1OA since Dahlin.
how exciting. decent rebound for the O after this year

Marv Merchants

Sep 2, 2019
Aidan Hreschuk says hi.

Marv Merchants

Sep 2, 2019
I’m sure he does. Heard good things but haven’t seen enough to really comment. In TPE Hockey’s ongoing Top 20 Under 17 list, though, Clarke is at 6 and Hreschuk back at 14.
You know the TPE guy just got out of high school?

Not saying he's not knowledgeable but I'm listening to a network of people and scouts. The public is sleeping on Hreschuk and doing more stat watching.

Reactions: Luc Poitras

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey

Not saying he's not knowledgeable but I'm listening to a network of people and scouts. The public is sleeping on Hreschuk and doing more stat watching.
Ah, yes, the classic “unnamed connections” appeal to authority makes another appearance. Usually it doesn’t occur until a user has had at least a dozen posts, but what can you do.

Well, go ahead and educate us. Make a comprehensive argument as to why Hreschuk is on the same plane. I’m open to persuasion; it’s too early to have gotten a definite grip on prospects across the world.

But I can’t recall the last time I saw a player quite like Clarke. I really think I may have overlooked just how good he is while following Wright. Seth Jones in Portland with an even better offensive skill set, perhaps.

Reactions: Koira666

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Ah, yes, the classic “unnamed connections” appeal to authority makes another appearance. Usually it doesn’t occur until a user has had at least a dozen posts, but what can you do.

Well, go ahead and educate us. Make a comprehensive argument as to why Hreschuk is on the same plane. I’m open to persuasion; it’s too early to have gotten a definite grip on prospects across the world.

But I can’t recall the last time I saw a player quite like Clarke. I really think I may have overlooked just how good he is while following Wright. Seth Jones in Portland with an even better offensive skill set, perhaps.
Hreschuk seems pretty impressive from what little I've seen (+ heard) but doesn't strike me as an early identifiable 1OA in the same vein. Either way this year playing with 16-17 year olds against all older teams will be more than enough to solidify himself. Would be very happy to eat my words.

Marv Merchants

Sep 2, 2019

Hreschuk's poise and iq is what sets him #1 for me. I think people do alot of stat watching and don't look enough for small things in a player's game. You won't see Hreschuk make many mistakes and he's still creating offense with quick zone exits and recoveries.

Reactions: Luc Poitras

1967th Heaven

Aug 31, 2012
I know it's the preseason but for a 16 year old defenseman this is pretty damn impressive, will be interesting to follow this kid this year
upload_2019-9-14_22-33-50.png

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

well he is finally playing on a larger state the USDP U17 team so we will be able to get a better read on him.

Clarke is playing in the OHL this season and already is standing out in pre season so it will be interesting to watch these 2 Dmen develop and see how their draft year goes in 2021.

Luke Hughes is also playing with Hreschuk this season and says hello.

Marv Merchants

Sep 2, 2019
well he is finally playing on a larger state the USDP U17 team so we will be able to get a better read on him.

Clarke is playing in the OHL this season and already is standing out in pre season so it will be interesting to watch these 2 Dmen develop and see how their draft year goes in 2021.

Luke Hughes is also playing with Hreschuk this season and says hello.
You must be new to this group. I've been following this US group for 3 years now.

Mar 12, 2009
Seems like the kid is going to be a real player. That said, I've been burned too many times by getting excited by players having good pre-seasons to get overly excited until a bit further along in the year.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Seems like the kid is going to be a real player. That said, I've been burned too many times by getting excited by players having good pre-seasons to get overly excited until a bit further along in the year.
Go ahead and get excited. This preseason performance just lined up with his former body of work. He’s a contender for first overall in 2021.

Reactions: 1967th Heaven

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad