LD Brady Cleveland - Univ. of Wisconsin, NCAA (2023, 47th, DET)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I wouldn’t even say he’s a shutdown guy. They lacked someone who was left handed and big. They gave a tryout to Cleveland and Fischer. Fischer is more of a shutdown guy. Cleveland may have a little more upside because he’s bigger and has pretty good hands for his size. Cleveland is like a better version of Adam Samuelsson or similar to someone like Alex Vlasic. Probably not more than a mid-round pick, but it’s possible his skating develops.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He’s had a tough season. The injury, but I also don’t like how his game is progressing.

Someone will take a chance in the middle rounds because of his size, he’s not a 0 with the puck, and he skates well enough, but not every 6’4 defensemen who isn’t a 0 skating/offense is NHL caliber. He has a long way to go to prove he is.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Pretty high for a game with very limited upside
Yeah, it's second round for being big.

It reminds me of when Alex Vlasic was drafted second round out of the NTDP. Big defenseman with a non-terrible puck game. Teams think that connotes upside.

Vlasic has reached 21 games in the NHL, so I guess that's not terrible, although Chicago has been tanking anyway, so it doesn't really matter how he plays.

I don't think Cleveland will even hit 21 games. He had all the opportunity in the world this season to run with the 1LD spot for the 18's that had no true difference makers on the back-end, and he ended up as the extra defenseman at the end of the season for a reason.

I hope I'm wrong, but even if I was to concede to Detroit that he has appealing tools for an NHL team (not sure I would), he's not currently good at hockey, even against juniors. The bright side is he's 18, so who knows how his next five years go?

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Yeah, it's second round for being big.

It reminds me of when Alex Vlasic was drafted second round out of the NTDP. Big defenseman with a non-terrible puck game. Teams think that connotes upside.

Vlasic has reached 21 games in the NHL, so I guess that's not terrible, although Chicago has been tanking anyway, so it doesn't really matter how he plays.

I don't think Cleveland will even hit 21 games. He had all the opportunity in the world this season to run with the 1LD spot for the 18's that had no true difference makers on the back-end, and he ended up as the extra defenseman at the end of the season for a reason.

I hope I'm wrong, but even if I was to concede to Detroit that he has appealing tools for an NHL team (not sure I would), he's not currently good at hockey, even against juniors. The bright side is he's 18, so who knows how his next five years go?
Vlasic had far better puck skills and 1v1 defensive ability than Cleveland in junior. Vlasic was actually ranked late 1st to late 2nd in most rankings. Cleveland was ranked 4th or 5th round in most rankings

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Vlasic had far better puck skills and 1v1 defensive ability than Cleveland in junior. Vlasic was actually ranked late 1st to late 2nd in most rankings. Cleveland was ranked 4th or 5th round in most rankings
Vlasic was better at that point. Definitely agree there, but he was also very much a project and picked where he was because of his size with some tools.

He's taken big steps this year with Chicago. Credit to him there.

It should give Detroit fans some hope the same could happen for Cleveland. Sometimes teams make these bad picks that make no sense and it works out because they actually knew what they were doing or they lucked out with the outcome because the player improved a lot unexpectedly. We won't know for years with Cleveland.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Vlasic was better at that point. Definitely agree there, but he was also very much a project and picked where he was because of his size with some tools.

He's taken big steps this year with Chicago. Credit to him there.

It should give Detroit fans some hope the same could happen for Cleveland. Sometimes teams make these bad picks that make no sense and it works out because they actually knew what they were doing or they lucked out with the outcome because the player improved a lot unexpectedly. We won't know for years with Cleveland.
Cleveland is routinely a healthy scratch for Wisconsin. Vlasic was never that for BU.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
The Hockey News Draft Preview had him ranked at 75

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't think he's that good, but he's a victim of one of the worst phenomenon's in college sports where teams are stacking their rosters with players in their mid 20's.

He's competing for ice time with a guy who is nearly 6 years older than him. That's pretty pathetic that stuff like this is even allowed in what is traditionally an environment for 17-22 year olds.

Completely unfair to an 18 year old kid who has a long way to go in his progression that he needs to outplay a guy who is in the prime of his career.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I don't think he's that good, but he's a victim of one of the worst phenomenon's in college sports where teams are stacking their rosters with players in their mid 20's.

He's competing for ice time with a guy who is nearly 6 years older than him. That's pretty pathetic that stuff like this is even allowed in what is traditionally an environment for 17-22 year olds.

Completely unfair to an 18 year old kid who has a long way to go in his progression that he needs to outplay a guy who is in the prime of his career.
The Big Ten proposed a rule limiting the number of 20 year old first year players that teams could bring in... it got voted down.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Hes also been hurt for a chunk of the season. Pretty sure it was his shoulder

Cake Eater

Jan 19, 2022

The average age of Wisconsin is 21.1

The average age of the NCAA is just a skosh higher than that.

There’s no need to be hyperbolic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad