RD Billy Constantinou - Kingston Frontenacs, OHL (2019 undrafted)

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Listed as a potential 2nd-3rd round pick by many, I am wondering if this kid can sneak into the 1st round, possibly even top 20.

I was very impressed with him live, looking forward to seeing him again this month.

The game I saw this year, he defended Jason Robertson well and shutdown the rest of the Frontenacs. Last year he was also quite good defensively, but this year he is jumping into the play and winning a lot more battles.

Any thoughts?

———

Niagara IceDogs (OHL) -> Kingston Frontenacs (OHL) - November 2018

Last edited by a moderator:

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
Got to see him a lot in Niagara. Very dynamic skater with good vision, defence could use some work and doesn't have the hardest shot. Made me think of a flashier Mete

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
So after being traded to Kingston, he’s now the 2nd highest scorer that they have, and the highest scoring defenseman by far. The last half of the season will define whether he rises up with potential to go quite high.

Reactions: Critical91

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
So after being traded to Kingston, he’s now the 2nd highest scorer that they have, and the highest scoring defenseman by far. The last half of the season will define whether he rises up with potential to go quite high.

Broke my heart to see him traded, but getting Robertson is unreal. What a fun player to watch.

Reactions: Tryamkin

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
He’s great offensively and skating with the puck but he’s incredibly careless/reckless at times and floats a lot, I don’t know if I like or dislike him

Reactions: Tryamkin

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
He’s great offensively and skating with the puck but he’s incredibly careless/reckless at times and floats a lot, I don’t know if I like or dislike him

Weird, in all the times I've seen him, I never thought he was a floater. Careless fits, though. Mistake prone. Reminds me a bit of Liljegren from our pool.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Weird, in all the times I've seen him, I never thought he was a floater. Careless fits, though. Mistake prone. Reminds me a bit of Liljegren from our pool.
He’s a floater in the defensive zone, all he really seems to care about is offense. Leaves his man often and doesn’t put much effort/isn’t engaged. Hopefully like Merkley did, he can mature his game when he’s not in junior and not be as reckless. It sounds like I’m hating on Constantinou at this point but he’s a selfish too. Like I said before though; dangerous offensively, RHD, and not being undersized is very tempting

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
He’s a floater in the defensive zone, all he really seems to care about is offense. Leaves his man often and doesn’t put much effort/isn’t engaged. Hopefully like Merkley did, he can mature his game when he’s not in junior and not be as reckless. It sounds like I’m hating on Constantinou at this point but he’s a selfish too. Like I said before though; dangerous offensively, RHD, and not being undersized is very tempting

I just haven't had the same opinion. To me he looks a bit lost sometimes, but he battles and he works in his own zone. I just don't think he has good defensive IQ and cheats a little.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
I just haven't had the same opinion. To me he looks a bit lost sometimes, but he battles and he works in his own zone. I just don't think he has good defensive IQ and cheats a little.
I think in order to be so potent offensively and good off the rush, cheating is necessary and sometimes a good thing if you have a smart enough hockey IQ which he could stand to grow.

SAM STEVENS

Oct 21, 2018
Are you sure we are talking about the same player or you mixing him up with someone else? no offense but I don't agree with you sorry... because if you are talking about the same player it does sound like you are hating so again no offense. I watched this kid like 20 + games last season and like 15-20 this season and have seen nothing like you said. Before being traded he led all D in goals assists and +/- and most of the time he was out with the Icedogs 3rd or 4th line from the games I saw, And with almost no PP as well. So it pretty hard to be as bad as you say and accomplish what he did. And selfish that is seriously not the case from what I saw in any games watching him... Do you also think Robertson is not a goal scorer either lol...

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Are you sure we are talking about the same player or you mixing him up with someone else? no offense but I don't agree with you sorry... because if you are talking about the same player it does sound like you are hating so again no offense. I watched this kid like 20 + games last season and like 15-20 this season and have seen nothing like you said. Before being traded he led all D in goals assists and +/- and most of the time he was out with the Icedogs 3rd or 4th line from the games I saw, And with almost no PP as well. So it pretty hard to be as bad as you say and accomplish what he did. And selfish that is seriously not the case from what I saw in any games watching him... Do you also think Robertson is not a goal scorer either lol...
You clearly cannot read, I don’t get why you’re listing his offensive accomplishments when I did say I think he’s great offensively. I didn’t say he was bad either. Selfish? Yes, somewhat. He makes a lot of reckless/careless plays carrying the puck or even without the puck.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.

This was my reaction too, although I am an Icedogs fan so I thought maybe my bias was sneaking in. He makes a boneheaded play once in a while but selfish and lazy in his own end? I never thought that was the case.

SAM STEVENS

Oct 21, 2018
You clearly cannot read, I don’t get why you’re listing his offensive accomplishments when I did say I think he’s great offensively. I didn’t say he was bad either. Selfish? Yes, somewhat. He makes a lot of reckless/careless plays carrying the puck or even without the puck.

I do read and he is a +12. someone that reckless does not get to that by playing like you said and you cant say his +/- was bumped because he was always on with the top line and they scored a ton, I listed his points yes but the +/- is a reflection of his defensive play. I don't know how much you have seen him play but I have a bunch and never seen what you said.

I have listed facts that can be verified and can be seen, you just listed what you think without merit so your thoughts do not reflect reality. Words like selfish lazy reckless/careless are harsh and I have never seen any of these things in his game ever, if your looking for a stay at home D shooting everything off the glass then maybe your perspective of what a D in the new NHL looks like is out of date, just look at last years draft.

Every D in Jr makes mistakes that is why they are development leagues, so if you expect a 17 year old kid to play like a 30 year old NHL vet with experience then your not being realistic I'm afraid. Every player has strengths and weaknesses but this kid has abilities you cant teach and the weaker parts of his game can be fixed with good coaching and experience.

So with no disrespect again sorry I don't agree with you and I am sure other will say the same.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I do read and he is a +12. someone that reckless does not get to that by playing like you said and you cant say his +/- was bumped because he was always on with the top line and they scored a ton, I listed his points yes but the +/- is a reflection of his defensive play. I don't know how much you have seen him play but I have a bunch and never seen what you said.

I have listed facts that can be verified and can be seen, you just listed what you think without merit so your thoughts do not reflect reality. Words like selfish lazy reckless/careless are harsh and I have never seen any of these things in his game ever, if your looking for a stay at home D shooting everything off the glass then maybe your perspective of what a D in the new NHL looks like is out of date, just look at last years draft.

Every D in Jr makes mistakes that is why they are development leagues, so if you expect a 17 year old kid to play like a 30 year old NHL vet with experience then your not being realistic I'm afraid. Every player has strengths and weaknesses but this kid has abilities you cant teach and the weaker parts of his game can be fixed with good coaching and experience.

So with no disrespect again sorry I don't agree with you and I am sure other will say the same.
If you’re using +/- as your main argument I can’t take you seriously. I agree with your last paragraph that he can be taught out of it but I’m explaining what I see now.

Also, you’re really reaching with the bolded. I never said/thought any of those

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

SAM STEVENS

Oct 21, 2018
If you’re using +/- as your main argument I can’t take you seriously. I agree with your last paragraph that he can be taught out of it but I’m explaining what I see now.

Also, you’re really reaching with the bolded. I never said/thought any of those

Then lets just agree that like any other young D its a hard position and he does lots of great things but needs to get coached to help some areas that need to be addressed. We can say the same for any player. Kingston has some good people there to help him so maybe the change is what is needed to help this young man. Because I'm sure a kid that good will not have any issues to figure out the areas he needs help given the right teachers are in place.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Constantinou is a stud. Jake Bean was 100000 times worse defensively his draft year. I saw four games last month where he didn't even play on the PP and was on the bottom pairing, with short shifts no less (very confusing). He hits, battles in corners and in front, makes excellent reads. He’s just turnover prone, but no more of less than Bouchard, DeAngelo or Duncan Keith in his draft year etc. He’ll stand up at his line too.

Harley is a kid that is so clean and smooth but way too passive and confused on defense. I noted multiple instances where he was in the circle to guard an entry. He also plays on the top pairing and top PP unit. Both are excellent prospects but Constantinou is worth the price of admission.

I think Constantinou can do things you can’t teach. He has this inate sense to avoid pressure and then attack immediately.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
Constantinou is a stud. Jake Bean was 100000 times worse defensively his draft year. I saw four games last month where he didn't even play on the PP and was on the bottom pairing, with short shifts no less (very confusing). He hits, battles in corners and in front, makes excellent reads. He’s just turnover prone, but no more of less than Bouchard, DeAngelo or Duncan Keith in his draft year etc. He’ll stand up at his line too.

Harley is a kid that is so clean and smooth but way too passive and confused on defense. I noted multiple instances where he was in the circle to guard an entry. He also plays on the top pairing and top PP unit. Both are excellent prospects but Constantinou is worth the price of admission.

I think Constantinou can do things you can’t teach. He has this inate sense to avoid pressure and then attack immediately.
you just like him cause he's greek,

flamebird

Jul 28, 2007
Tough start to his career in Kingston, -5 and no points through the first couple games. I hate to say this, but the trade to Kingston may really take him down the NHL draft boards due to the terrible team he is on and the predictable regression and numbers through out the rest of the season

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Tough start to his career in Kingston, -5 and no points through the first couple games. I hate to say this, but the trade to Kingston may really take him down the NHL draft boards due to the terrible team he is on and the predictable regression and numbers through out the rest of the season

Ah man, that sucks.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Embarrassing that this guy didn't get drafted considering his skillset. The fact that no GM picking in the 7th round was able to swallow their pride and take a guy that easily could have gone 2nd round is pretty shocking.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Embarrassing that this guy didn't get drafted considering his skillset. The fact that no GM picking in the 7th round was able to swallow their pride and take a guy that easily could have gone 2nd round is pretty shocking.

What do you mean swallow their pride?

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
What do you mean swallow their pride?

I get the sense scouts and GMs feel better about themselves when they target relatively unknown kids out of obscure leagues around the globe, rather than going with common consensus. Sort of feeds into the notion that their expertise supposedly makes them more qualified to go their own route, as opposed to just taking the player that almost everyone had rated higher.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad