D Benjamin Roger- London Knights, OHL (2021, 49th, OTT)

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
saw a little of him at PBHH and was impressed. also sounds like he put on about 30 pounds since
last year.

03HockeyFan

Mar 5, 2019
Agreed, Roger looked good at PBHH. Avery Winslow (drafted by London but plays for North Bay) also looked very good.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Ottawa's three picks so far have all been "reaches", all rising players that were projected to go a decent amount later

If Dorion hits he'll look like a genius, but I didn't think Roger would be a top 50 player, personally
A player worth keeping an eye on, though

MrInvidious

Sep 25, 2020
Toronto, ON / Ottawa, ON
Ottawa's three picks so far have all been "reaches", all rising players that were projected to go a decent amount later

If Dorion hits he'll look like a genius, but I didn't think Roger would be a top 50 player, personally
A player worth keeping an eye on, though

This has been Trent Mann and Pierre Dorion's calling card for years. Ottawa has developed the expectation that they have their own rankings and they don't give a damn about consensus rankings. Never an obvious pick to the general public.

It could be a problem if they didn't seem to keep hitting more often than not on these "reaches". I know most Sens fans feel the same as I do - the Sens amateur scouting department more than most deserve blind trust on these picks for the time being.

Constable

corona fiend
Mar 17, 2014
The Senators continue to make large, wide reaches on players who's best assets are things that are actively trapping for them as prospects. Ben Rodger needs to learn how to play defense, pass the puck, not be caught out of position all the time, the list goes on.

Essentially, the Senators have taken 3 top 50 picks, one inside the top 15, and turned it into:

-A mid round second pick
-A 5th rounder
-A UDFA

I want to go on record and say I do not hate the Sens. I despise terrible drafting and I would clown on any team that farted away excellent draft position like this.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
The Senators continue to make large, wide reaches on players who's best assets are things that are actively trapping for them as prospects. Ben Rodger needs to learn how to play defense, pass the puck, not be caught out of position all the time, the list goes on.

Essentially, the Senators have taken 3 top 50 picks, one inside the top 15, and turned it into:

-A mid round second pick
-A 5th rounder
-A UDFA

I want to go on record and say I do not hate the Sens. I despise terrible drafting and I would clown on any team that farted away excellent draft position like this.

Boucher, Ostapchuk and Roger.
Three future All-Stars.
You heard it here first. Dorion and co. don't miss.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
With the exception of Stutzle I think the last Sens pick that wasn’t meet with a decent amount of skepticism was Johnny Tychonick.

Not even. Last year, they took advantage of a mistake made by another team. But they probably would have been among those who thought Byfield was ahead of Stutzle.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Not even. Last year, they took advantage of a mistake made by another team. But they probably would have been among those who thought Byfield was ahead of Stutzle.

I literally said with the exception of Stutzle. It’s funny cause Tychonick wasn’t a good pick, but boy do picks like Shane Pinto look good.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Tyler Boucher F
Zack Ostapchuk F
Ben Roger F
Oliver Johansson D

Next pick
Cole Sillinger A
Scott Morrow B
Nikita Chibrikov A
Ryder Korczak B

Players who have played very little in addition. They try too hard to be original.

Reactions: uncleben

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
This happens every year. Posters think random bloggers and unprofessional "scouts" know more about players than paid, full time professional scouts.

Reactions: OUTHOUSE

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
This happens every year. Posters think random bloggers and unprofessional "scouts" know more about players than paid, full time professional scouts.

And every year I make better choices than Ottawa's scout. History has shown it for 10 years.

If this franchise has been shabby for a long time, maybe it's because the guys in place are working poorly.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

And every year posters like you appeal to authority and pretend no one should have opinions on draft picks besides the scouts that pick them.

Embarrassing all around.

Reactions: leafs in five

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
And every year posters like you appeal to authority and pretend no one should have opinions on draft picks besides the scouts that pick them.

Embarrassing all around.

Absolutely nothing wrong with having an opinion. As long as it's informed.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
That said, all the selected players I know them by name at least.

After that, I haven't seen Ben Roger play in game this year, but that's okay. Neither do Ottawa's scouts.

Reactions: LudwigVonKarlsson

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Tyler Boucher F
Zack Ostapchuk F
Ben Roger F
Oliver Johansson D

Next pick
Cole Sillinger A
Scott Morrow B
Nikita Chibrikov A
Ryder Korczak B

Players who have played very little in addition. They try too hard to be original.
Have you actually watched all those players or are you just going by where they are generally ranked?

If teams just drafted by the consensus there would be no point in having a draft.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Have you actually watched all those players or are you just going by where they are generally ranked?

If teams just drafted by the consensus there would be no point in having a draft.

I looked at all the players that I ranked in my top 100. Over half of the others ranked in my top 223.
The point is, Ottawa selects players with a very small sample. This year it is indisputable.

Selecting players in the opposite direction works even less.
You can't tell me Ottawa does a good job. Their franchise is poorly managed and the draft is one negative point among others.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad