Olympics: Czechs vs Russia

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Pretty sure Russia has already won group and is rolling along nicely. Czechs seem very likely to have an extra game in their future.

This is a very defensive oriented group. I'd like to see an open and fun hockey game as I haven't seen one yet!

Reactions: MrazeksVengeance

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Does Russia have any incentive to win? Does the higher seed give a bye for the next round?
I think you have the bye to the quarters already locked up. I don't think it matters much at all. I could be wrong though.. but I thought it was the three pool winners and the best 2nd place team.

If you mean does winning give you a better bracket in the quarters... probably, yes.

Mainiac

May 15, 2021
I'm not that impressed with ROC. The "experts" had them ranked as the fave for this shindig but a combined 3-0 tally over both Denmark & the Swiss is hardly daunting. Kind of weird though, since no one gets eliminated in the pre-lims and most teams are trying to get to know each other anyway...well an extra game might be a bonus as long as it was against a safe opponent. (if that exists here).

rohky

Jun 17, 2019
Reading
Ivan Fedotov with "clean sheet". Simon Hrubec - two games, two wins and only two goals conceded. CZE - RUS is going to be an interesting game. Goalkeepers as the biggest deciders IMHO

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Russians are 2-0 and have beat 2 very patient and defensive teams while sorting out their lines and not wasting a lot of energy and without injury. I'd say they are doing great and holding their status as Tourney Fav (with Finns).

Sobotka and Smejkal on PK makes me happy. I think Smejkal is going to make NHL as a UFA. Not a superstar but he'll get some seasons in IMO. Big fan.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

Promoting Sobotka to top 6 is shocking to me. Happy Spacek is in and like that third line. Pesan overthinking IMO.

While typing.. great shot by Russian by Hrubec needs to have that. Zohorna got burned and Hrubec with a saveable shot.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
What a save by Fedotov! On Krejci too! and he even got it up. .

FTR.. This game is already more fun then the other 2 as it looks like hockey.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I'm wondering if it was tipped.. I still think it should be Klok back there but good for Kundratek.

The amazing Fedotov shutout run is over. Based on his Krejci save earlier and his 100% coming in.. he's damn good!

1-1.. fun game finally. Also, Krejci is much more noticeable today. Looks like, um, Krejci

Reactions: Dueling Banjos

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
I'm wondering if it was tipped.. I still think it should be Klok back there but good for Kundratek.

The amazing Fedotov shutout run is over. Based on his Krejci save earlier and his 100% coming in.. he's damn good!

1-1.. fun game finally. Also, Krejci is much more noticeable today. Looks like, um, Krejci

I ll be honest, i don't know much about Fedotov but he's huge.

Drafted by Flyers i see...maybe he ll get lucky, fly over, have decent first season, sign 3x3 and watch his confidence die in the famous goalie market ;)

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
2 things I've learned about Voronkov today...

1. He doesn't like Czech people
2. He likes to crosscheck a lot

I say it everytime.. I wish Shlep was back on my Oilers

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I ll be honest, i don't know much about Fedotov but he's huge.

Drafted by Flyers i see...maybe he ll get lucky, fly over, have decent first season, sign 3x3 and watch his confidence die in the famous goalie market ;)
Any drafted Russian is GOLD... they are producing elite goalies like crazy.

I'm an Oiler fan so I can relate to Philly.. we destroy every single goalie. 3 decades of this. In your case, unlike us, you've had several good goalies and ruined them. We can't even get good goalies, but we just ruin them anyways.lol Leafs are the same. Big Markets with a former HOF type goalies seem to be the worst place for young goalies to go! Oh, he's not Hextall. He'll never be Roy. This guy doesn't battle like Joseph. Remember when we had Fuhr/Moog?

Something like that.

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
Any drafted Russian is GOLD... they are producing elite goalies like crazy.

I'm an Oiler fan so I can relate to Philly.. we destroy every single goalie. 3 decades of this. In your case, unlike us, you've had several good goalies and ruined them. We can't even get good goalies, but we just ruin them anyways.lol Leafs are the same. Big Markets with a former HOF type goalies seem to be the worst place for young goalies to go! Oh, he's not Hextall. He'll never be Roy. This guy doesn't battle like Joseph. Remember when we had Fuhr/Moog?

Something like that.

lol well said.

I am Bruins fan though, we've been lucky recently, of course Rask will never be appreciated by some but that's another story.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Someone fix the damn gate!

Russia slowly taking over... Hrubec having himself a beaut period. Now tied with outrageous saves with Fedotov 1-1. Rare you say a wrist save.lol

PP for Russia. They've been better this period. Need to kill it and get some momentum. Klok on PK but not PP... ????

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
5 on 3... Russian smart enough to feel stick up high and go down!

Penalties result of great Russian skating and pressure. Good character building for Czechs. Ironically, the guys i'd want out here are Smejkal and Sobotka. They are sitting side by side in the bench.lol

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Great shot! Good news though, it was after the 5-3 so at least we're back to full strength. 2-1 Russia. They are rolling right now!

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I just turned the game on again. Just in time to see an elbow and then a head shot by the Russians. The latter by Voronkov. He is out of the game! The Czechs have a 5 minute PP to tie it up.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Voronkov again.. if I were the Czechs, I'd keep putting the puck near him and letting him draw his penalties. Always an extra shot, always chippy. Call him a name and let him hit you because he will.

Hrubec has been great.

FTR Kovar with Sobotka will never work. They are same size and speed. Very different players but that would be a good combo for a third line and not a Top 6.

I figured out a great analogy (video reviewing going on)... Klok on bench and Jerabek out is the same for my Oil when we put Barrie out and sit Bouch.

Pure elbow to the head.. goodbye Voronkov. FTR.. Czech commentators thought it was a bad call. I don't. He's been the chippiest guy the whole match.

Reactions: Goodman68

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Voronkov again.. if I were the Czechs, I'd keep putting the puck near him and letting him draw his penalties. Always an extra shot, always chippy. Call him a name and let him hit you because he will.

Hrubec has been great.

FTR Kovar with Sobotka will never work. They are same size and speed. Very different players but that would be a good combo for a third line and not a Top 6.

I figured out a great analogy (video reviewing going on)... Klok on bench and Jerabek out is the same for my Oil when we put Barrie out and sit Bouch.

Pure elbow to the head.. goodbye Voronkov. FTR.. Czech commentators thought it was a bad call. I don't. He's been the chippiest guy the whole match.
LOL Voronkov does everything right. And you need the dumbest f...s of refs to help you. Praise the age of soft midget hockey. You should be ashamed.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Krejci! He's looked ike what I expected today.

2-2.. beauty Cervenka pass and great PP.

PP2 Unit is one I don't like but they did really well last time.. did I mention Klok isn't even on PP2? Having said that. I like that Spacek runs it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->