U18: Czech Republic WJC U18 Roster Talk

Renmar

Nov 23, 2018
Krnov
For this year I think we can say that we're medal contenders. Team looks great, almost everybody is a draft prospect and there are already 3 guys with Extraliga experience, most of the guys are already playing in a men's league, CHL or in Finland and Sweden, only few players are from Czech junior league. That's how I would see the team looks like.

Malik
Bednar
Parik

Has Kubicek
Zurek Kucerik
Suhrada Mlcak

Mysak Pytlik Teply
Raska Najman Muzik
Lang Peterek Beranek
Psenicka Barinka Novak

Last edited:

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Pytlik moved to the OHL.

How is his team doing? Will he be available?

The Sault is second in their conference , though an upset is not impossible in the Western Conference this year even in the first round .

joey16

Dec 27, 2010
Well, I would not be so optimistic, I mean medal contender is a strong case here. Not saying we cannot surprise but we would need high scoring efficiency and a strong goaltending and very probably would be outplayed in the play-offs. We can just easily compare our players to those from Finland, Sweden, Russia, Canada, USA and see.

The reality is that our talent production is stagnating and keeps on being 6/7th in the world. Still, far away from the 5th. And I am not seeing any difference in this year roster. I feel we still live in some kind of a bubble in which we see our average prospects much better than they truly are. Which is maybe because not too long time ago we were used to something even much worse. And sometimes I fell in this trap too. I also have had high expectations for some our junior teams lately but so far it was always followed by a letdown. Seems to me that we have been so happy that we have at least some NHL worthy prospects again that we keep forgeting that the gap between us and the BIG5 is still very noticeable (in every category). And sadly this perception is hugely encouraged by our association.

Renmar

Nov 23, 2018
Krnov
Well, I would not be so optimistic, I mean medal contender is a strong case here. Not saying we cannot surprise but we would need high scoring efficiency and a strong goaltending and very probably would be outplayed in the play-offs. We can just easily compare our players to those from Finland, Sweden, Russia, Canada, USA and see.

The reality is that our talent production is stagnating and keeps on being 6/7th in the world. Still, far away from the 5th. And I am not seeing any difference in this year roster. I feel we still live in some kind of a bubble in which we see our average prospects much better than they truly are. Which is maybe because not too long time ago we were used to something even much worse. And sometimes I fell in this trap too. I also have had high expectations for some our junior teams lately but so far it was always followed by a letdown. Seems to me that we have been so happy that we have at least some NHL worthy prospects again that we keep forgeting that the gap between us and the BIG5 is still very noticeable (in every category). And sadly this perception is hugely encouraged by our association.
The gap between us and the TOP 5 is big, everyone see that. I just think, that this team is just much more better than previous seasons, even better than 99 group. You have Has, Kubicek, Mysak, Novak, Pytlik, Teply, those guys can ended up in the 1st round. Goalies are great as well. And the rest of the team looks promising aswell, there are Kucerik, Mlcak, Lang, Najman, Peterek, Raska, Cermak...
That doesn't look bad at all. My expectations are maybe little too high, but I have hope for this group and I believe that they can finally win some medal for Czech republic.

joey16

Dec 27, 2010
The gap between us and the TOP 5 is big, everyone see that. I just think, that this team is just much more better than previous seasons, even better than 99 group. You have Has, Kubicek, Mysak, Novak, Pytlik, Teply, those guys can ended up in the 1st round. Goalies are great as well. And the rest of the team looks promising aswell, there are Kucerik, Mlcak, Lang, Najman, Peterek, Raska, Cermak...
That doesn't look bad at all. My expectations are maybe little too high, but I have hope for this group and I believe that they can finally win some medal for Czech republic.

Yeah, don't get me wrong. It's great that to have hope. It's just the "medal contenders" thing has been here around for a while and apart from one medal in 2014 nothing. So maybe I'm starting to be a little alergic to that :D
It's definately better team than last year. If it's better than 99 group, I think that is yet to be seen. 99 had more top-end talent, this team on the other hand seems to have better depth. For sure there are some interesting players. What do you think of Kucerik and other D-men apart from Kubicek and Has?

Renmar

Nov 23, 2018
Krnov
Yeah, don't get me wrong. It's great that to have hope. It's just the "medal contenders" thing has been here around for a while and apart from one medal in 2014 nothing. So maybe I'm starting to be a little alergic to that :D
It's definately better team than last year. If it's better than 99 group, I think that is yet to be seen. 99 had more top-end talent, this team on the other hand seems to have better depth. For sure there are some interesting players. What do you think of Kucerik and other D-men apart from Kubicek and Has?
Kucerik and others? That's kinda hard to say because they play in the junior league and since the matches are not streamed I can't really tell you a lot about them. Last time I saw them was last week I think when they play with U18 team in Switzerland. The competition wasn't really good, only Finlands were hard and unfortunately I didn't see the match so I can't tell how they did against better competition.

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
As good as the players might be, with a coach like Hadamczik I wouldn't be overly optimistic.....

Either way, at least at the U-18 level we still have some successes, which is more than we can say for the U-20 level. Makes watching the U-18s more enjoyable.

Renmar

Nov 23, 2018
Krnov
Filip Koffer playing on the second line with Marozs and Rolinek in Extraliga tonight, another candidate for a spot.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Who are the best players on this team? 3rd is a great prediction but we would need a very strong team to pull that off. Do we have a strong team?

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague

No real omission in the nomination. I was hoping to see 02 born defenseman Marek Blaha there, but it was very unlikely unfortunately. He brings a lot of speed and skill, something our blueline severely lacks. I wonder what player Simon Jenacek is, he has been very productive in the U19 league lately. Some players are still playing in the CHL playoffs and at least in Pytlik's case it seems like he might miss the WJC.

Well, I would not be so optimistic, I mean medal contender is a strong case here. Not saying we cannot surprise but we would need high scoring efficiency and a strong goaltending and very probably would be outplayed in the play-offs.
This 01' group doesn't have problem getting outplayed, it has problem scoring goals (just like any Czech national team). Would be great to finally see a team that scores on it's chances, but I don't get my hopes up.

I like the name Rychlovsky. It really feels like it brings speed and energy to that line.

I hope he skates fast :laugh:
He actually is that kind of player. Don't see him making the team because of the depth, but he has a chance.

Who are the best players on this team? 3rd is a great prediction but we would need a very strong team to pull that off. Do we have a strong team?
In 2017 we had a strong team, look how that went. To expect anything out of the U18 WJC, let alone a medal, is setting up yourself for a let down. Since the rather random silver in 2014, Czech teams at this championship sucked year after year, no matter the strenght of the squads. If they get more than one win it's a success.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Just confirming, outside of the 4 guys born in 2002 - are the rest all draft elibible this June? I feel like we are in for a poor draft. 5 to 7 guys and no first rounders?

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I guess Malik was hurt? Pytlik is on his way. The team looks to be about as good as one could hope. Really curious to see how they do. Of course TSN will only broadcast the Canada game and their Quarter final game.

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
I guess Malik was hurt? Pytlik is on his way. The team looks to be about as good as one could hope. Really curious to see how they do. Of course TSN will only broadcast the Canada game and their Quarter final game.
According to this article, yes Malik was injured. Erik Cermak as well for that matter, although it's debatable whether he would have made the team even if healthy.

The team is more or less the best it can be, on paper at least. Malik missing doesn't hurt as much, I think he would be the 3rd string goalie anyway.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
According to this article, yes Malik was injured. Erik Cermak as well for that matter, although it's debatable whether he would have made the team even if healthy.

The team is more or less the best it can be, on paper at least. Malik missing doesn't hurt as much, I think he would be the 3rd string goalie anyway.
I guess Pytlik is out now?

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
There has to be more into it. You don't turn down a top player just because he missed the camp, that would be just stupid

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
There has to be more into it. You don't turn down a top player just because he missed the camp, that would be just stupid
It would be beyond stupid... he was heating up in playoffs too!

checks to see who coach is...

Hadamczak...

Never mind, totally believable move from Alois! More ice time for Barinka.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
It would be beyond stupid... he was heating up in playoffs too!

checks to see who coach is...

Hadamczak...

Never mind, totally believable move from Alois! More ice time for Barinka.

Haha, where did they dig up Hadamczik? Thought he retired years ago.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Haha, where did they dig up Hadamczik? Thought he retired years ago.

It amazes me that a country with such a long and rich hockey history needs to bring Hadamczak out of retirement.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Your coach must be smoking something to not bring one of if not the top player of the age group over. No other country would make such a decision unless the player was too exceptional ( played U20 wjc ) etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad