Olympics: Czech Republic Roster Discussion (Roster in post 1)

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
Pavel Francouz will be No.1 goalie for this tournament.

Also lines without Gulaš:
Erat - Kovář - Sekáč
Červenka - Mertl - Vondrka
Zohorna - Koukal - Radil
Birner - Horák - Řepík
Kubalík
Růžička will arrive in Tuesday.

Voodoozz

Czechmate
Feb 22, 2016
Pilsen
www.youtube.com
Gulaš is a big loss, he has been playing his best hockey this season. One of the best players we have in Europe IMO. Those 4 years in Sweden did wonders for Gulaš, he is so much better than he used to be. You can see how much enthusiastic he is when he plays hockey. He'd play his heart out at the OG considering he missed all the previous tournaments for various reasons. So sad for the guy.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Grrrr they should've just called Mr Jagrrrr to replace him. Might actually be they did and he declined?

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
Grrrr they should've just called Mr Jagrrrr to replace him. Might actually be they did and he declined?
They were not thinking about him. Even after all he accomplish before, he is now not 100% healty and play in Czech 2nd league, so it's logical. Reserve players are(were) Růžička, Klepiš and Nečas, I think.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
They were not thinking about him. Even after all he accomplish before, he is now not 100% healty and play in Czech 2nd league, so it's logical. Reserve players are(were) Růžička, Klepiš and Nečas, I think.

I don't know about that. I remember only few years ago how Jagr's presence helped Czech beat Finland (it was probably in WHC). Having him on the PP just destroyed Finland mentally. Couldn't get the puck away from him. He's still a nightmare to face. Just need that power play and put Jagr on it and it's done.

Limit his minutes 5on5 as he is a bit slow skater now. Split 5on5 minutes with 13th forward and Jagr so Jagr isn't completely cold when PP starts.

So I think Czech made a mistake with not selecting him, but again even if they did ask him, he could've declined.

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
I don't know about that. I remember only few years ago how Jagr's presence helped Czech beat Finland (it was probably in WHC). Having him on the PP just destroyed Finland mentally. Couldn't get the puck away from him. He's still a nightmare to face. Just need that power play and put Jagr on it and it's done.

Limit his minutes 5on5 as he is a bit slow skater now. Split 5on5 minutes with 13th forward and Jagr so Jagr isn't completely cold when PP starts.

So I think Czech made a mistake with not selecting him, but again even if they did ask him, he could've declined.
It was WHC 2015 in Czech Republic. Nice game indeed, he was monster there. Now I don't saying he is playing bad. I actually think that if the injury not appeared, he is still playing in NHL. But now all things considered, he probably should not be in team. When you have Růžička, who have 53 points in 46 games in Czech Extraliga and Jágr who has knee injury and play only 4 games for Kladno, you take Růžička. I am sure he would not be lost if he was there, just don't seem fair to the other guys.

Reactions: Mestaruus

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
How does this team stack up against Canada?
It should be open game. We have better goalies in my eyes, but both have good players, current form will be crucial. In Euro Hockey Tour game this season Czechs win 4-1(two empty net goals).

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
Seems lines will be different for game with Canada.

Kubalík - Kovář - Erat
Červenka - Mertl - Růžička
Sekáč - Koukal - Radil
Birner - Horák - Řepík
Zohorna(Vondrka scratched)

Defense pairs same, Francouz still in net.

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
Koukal and Mertl are my biggest concerns. I always like Koukal but I dont believe his skating in his age match this level. Anybody suggest czech euro B team? :)

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
Koukal and Mertl are my biggest concerns. I always like Koukal but I dont believe his skating in his age match this level. Anybody suggest czech euro B team? :)
Shame we can't use Mertl + Gulaš connection. Koukal can still PK + have tons of experience, I trust him.

And B team:

Hrubec, Hrachovina, Svoboda (Kovář,Kašík)

Krejčík, Michálek, Doudera, Roth, Šulák, Šmíd, Moravčík, Sklenička (Němeček,Dvořák)

Hanzl, Nestrašil, Gulaš, Kaše, Nečas, Zatovič, Klepiš, Filippi, Jarůšek, Kousal, Musil, Lenc, Lev, Vincour (Kašpar,Vrána,Indrák,Stach)

Just try:)

Reactions: Jablkon

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
I think Koukal play very well today + shootout goal. I like how he let everything on the ice every game.

Voodoozz

Czechmate
Feb 22, 2016
Pilsen
www.youtube.com
You can see Mertl is missing Gulaš on his wing to set things up. However i believe he totally can play a defensive center role on 3rd/4th line with D-zone starts. He's probably our best faceoff guy.

Reactions: Maluk11

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
I think Koukal play very well today + shootout goal. I like how he let everything on the ice every game.
Yes, I was wrong. Koukal looked even better than I remember him from league/EHT. Hope they continue like this.

Also Ruzicka and Kundratek surprised me a lot. Great game overall. On paper, sending KOukal-Kolar and Ruzicka-Cervenka to 3 on 3, i wouldnt do that but the were good except that one breakaway.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maluk11

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
Yes, I was wrong. Koukal looked even better than I remember him from league/EHT. Hope they continue like this.

Also Ruzicka and Kundratek surprised me a lot. Great game overall. On paper, sending KOukal-Kolar and Ruzicka-Cervenka to 3 on 3, i wouldnt do that but the were good except that one breakaway.
The good thing is this tournament is short. So the older players like Koukal, Erat will have enough strengh in later parts. Kundrátek play perfect game, he show he didn't want to be scratched again.

I really hope tommorow game go well, we now have big chance at success. If I look now at standing, we go in quartifinal at Slovenia or Norway. This is just example, standing definitely change, but it showing how big the chance at making semifinal is.

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
So it's Slovakia/USA in Quarterfinal. Not easy, but we are more then capable to do it.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
So it's Slovakia/USA in Quarterfinal. Not easy, but we are more then capable to do it.

Hurts a bit when you see we could be playing the winner of , say, Slovenia-Norway instead, but either opponent will be a good motivator I think

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
So USA it is. We can have revenge for 2014 Olympic. Bad news is Michal Jordán have some muscle problem today and it's not sure he's ready at USA.

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
Good news, Michal Jordán feeling better today and hopefully will be alright for tommorow game.

And I must to say, I really like attitude of our players here. No one saying we try beat Russia or something else. They say we are going to beat Russia and for Gold medal. You see the self-confidence that we miss in other tournaments.

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
Guys didnt know what to do in last two minutes. No calmness, no coldbloodedness, nothing. Somebody just told them what to do so they did it, perimetr shot, bad angle shot. Russians just stayed in box. They say “follow the system and it will be ok”.

You can tell me we have such a bad players for this level but I still dont believe it.

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
And everybody is willing to die for bronze based on what Birner said. What else? Just stay alive bro, its just a f***ing hockey. This is some russian style?Nation first, take bronz and shut up.

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
Well, that was disappointment. I don't want to blame anyone, they all try fight hard, but if you totally broke after 1-3 goal, you can't win. What bother me is we are capable of win , you see it when we score at 4-2, when Růžička score goal. We losing somenthing in the most important games. It can be quality, but I don't think it was here.

We must work on it. In A-team and mainly in juniors. Also I don't think it's fault of Josef Jandač or others. Vladimír Růžička or Alois Hadamczik have same problems.

To end on positive note, I still want to thanks our guys. They fight with everything they have, just without good end. Now as lifetime optimist, I hope we finally take some medal in WHC.

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
Well, that was disappointment. I don't want to blame anyone, they all try fight hard, but if you totally broke after 1-3 goal, you can't win. What bother me is we are capable of win , you see it when we score at 4-2, when Růžička score goal. We losing somenthing in the most important games. It can be quality, but I don't think it was here.

We must work on it. In A-team and mainly in juniors. Also I don't think it's fault of Josef Jandač or others. Vladimír Růžička or Alois Hadamczik have same problems.

To end on positive note, I still want to thanks our guys. They fight with everything they have, just without good end. Now as lifetime optimist, I hope we finally take some medal in WHC.
They fought hard, no doubt about that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad