WJC: Czech Republic 2020 Roster Talk

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
I think thats debatable. first look yes but if you look again its pretty close. id love to see slow motion.
It is closer than it looks at first glance. However, I rewatched it a few times and was able to pause it at the point when it was conclusively offside. All the same, I'm happy we don't have to sit through a bloody coach's challenge in an exhibition junior game!

Reactions: czechcanadian

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Cuts are Bednar, Kukla, Broz, Koffer, Lang.
Nothing too upsetting... I'm hoping Dostal gets the run and plays every game (especially Germany Game) so the Bednar cut isn't that devastating. I can't wait to see how Varada creates a Top 6 out of our D? Maybe use the Oiler's model and play the Top 3 guys 25 to 30 minutes a night and the rest 12 to 10. It doesn't work for the Oil very well but it might work in a short tournament.

upload_2019-12-23_12-2-47.png

I noticed they had an all OHL line going last game... Pytlik, Jenik and Pekar. I'd keep them together. Lauko with Mysak and Teply. Interchangeable Top 6. Could cause problems.

Run Has, Kubicek and Zabransky into the ground.

Dostal every game.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
Nothing too upsetting... I'm hoping Dostal gets the run and plays every game (especially Germany Game) so the Bednar cut isn't that devastating. I can't wait to see how Varada creates a Top 6 out of our D? Maybe use the Oiler's model and play the Top 3 guys 25 to 30 minutes a night and the rest 12 to 10. It doesn't work for the Oil very well but it might work in a short tournament.

View attachment 296869

I noticed they had an all OHL line going last game... Pytlik, Jenik and Pekar. I'd keep them together. Lauko with Mysak and Teply. Interchangeable Top 6. Could cause problems.

Dostal every game.

Could cause problems for other teams you mean?

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Could cause problems for other teams you mean?
Yes.lol That is a good top 6 IMO. Even scoring and 2 strong lines. Fits right into our 1985 mentality. I'm just not sure who the 2 centres are as we tend to only create good wingers.

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice

View attachment 296869

Dostal every game.

Yes, these 2 lines could work. The 3rd line could be Plášek, Čajka, Blümel, the 4th Raška, Pavel, Šír. I am not so worried about the forwards, there is some serious skill combined with quite a lot of grit, it can work well. The D-lines is what I am worried about.

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Yes, these 2 lines could work. The 3rd line could be Plášek, Čajka, Blümel, the 4th Raška, Pavel, Šír. I am not so worried about the forwards, there is some serious skill combined with quite a lot of grit, it can work well. The D-lines is what I am worried about.
Yup, big gaping hole in quality from the forwards/goalies to the D!

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Prospect Ramblings: World Juniors Bold Predictions

Very bold predictions indeed...
Czechs getting relegated apparently
Gotta get the clicks somehow. But Czechs getting relegated is not even the most ludicrous thing in that article, suggesting that Kazachstan beats anyone is. That team just lost to Vitkovice junior team.
And Germany is getting pretty overrated, by NA people anyway. Their top line might be enough to beat the perennially underwhelming Czechs, but they have next to no shot to beat any of the remaining three teams. As far as I know Russia, Canada and the USA might be the top 3 teams at the tournament.

Bottom line, playing in relegation and actually getting relegated are two vastly different things. It's more likely Czechs win gold than that they get relegated, and you figure how likely a gold medal is.

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
Kazakhstan is going to be relegated. I can barely imagine otherwise. The guy who wrote that preview has very high self esteem combined with very low knowledge of the team's actual powers. For the Czech team, the game against Germany will obviously be the key one, in the other three group games, any point would be an upset. But I personally believe they are going to surprise and earn some point(s) from these games.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I don't find his predictions that crazy.lol

I could see Sweden going undefeated and not medalling.

I could see the Russian's with a lazy round robin and then turning the heat up... that's exactly what they did at the Junior A Challenge a month ago.

I could see us getting smoked by Canada/US/Russia and then losing a crazy 1 goal game to Germany.

I think he's over rated Kazakhastin and under rated Slovakia.

It'd be awful to have he Czechs play the Slovaks for relegation but I can't see it getting that bad.

The optimist in me says that we'll sneak a point or 2 in somewhere outside of the German game.

I definitely don't expect 4 good games from our D but maybe then can cobble together 2?

We do have a great counter punch in our forwards and a very good goalie(s).

To be honest, I'm not sure why I follow this tournament so closely - it's an ass kicking every Xmas.lol

If we do sneak in... I think we have a good shot at the crossover as we'll be playing at a crazy high tempo all week so we'll be ready to fly against someone from the weaker pool.

Reactions: Swipes

Scrantonicity 2

Not a Generational Poster
Mar 7, 2016

SpartanProdigy

Apr 22, 2019
https://thehockeywriters.com/2020-world-junior-championship-czech-republic-preview/

I thought this was a very fair writeup... note they think that next year's team will be very good. I agree. I thought last year was our best chance to break the streak and next years team might have some jam as well. This year we seem to have a great goalie and some very good forwards but we're well behind on D and depth. I will watch to the very end as always.
Am American but I always like your enthusiasm and passion for your country. Good luck in the tourney (except against USA of course)

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
Merry Christmas everyone! :):)

Fingers crossed for a good tournament from our boys!

The Germany game will be the key one, although I think we could pinch some points from Russia too.

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
Bottom line, playing in relegation and actually getting relegated are two vastly different things. It's more likely Czechs win gold than that they get relegated, and you figure how likely a gold medal is.

Oh woops. I think I didn't read the article properly. I actually understood playing in relegation lol....which is possible.

Getting relegated? Very unlikely

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
Merry Christmas everyone! :):)

Fingers crossed for a good tournament from our boys!

The Germany game will be the key one, although I think we could pinch some points from Russia too.
Vesele Vanoce!!
Yes im hopeful that we can get something from Russia too! But would also not be surprised by a blow out. Dostal performance is the key. So excited though! Very happy its in the morning here in Canada!

Reactions: Swipes

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
Karel Plasek not to play tomorrow against Russia. Otakar Sik is about to play instead. This is the only slight upset of the roster announced today. The D-men for the first game are: Has, Zabransky, Kubicek, Kucerik, Klikorka, Dajcar. So, two more players to be added later into the tournament, probably one of the D-men Lytvynov, Mlcak and one of the forwards Plasek, Strondala.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Time to fly in Novak! I don't think we'll be seeeing Lauko again... not happy! I actually feel terrible for the kid... clears concussion protocol, flies in.. sits first exhibition, plays in second and gets 6 seconds in. He seemed to really want to play and I think he could've helped us a lot in this tourney.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad