WJC: Czech Republic 2020 Roster Talk

RBbandit

Jan 4, 2020
I don't think Lener will be the right guy. From what I read he is more like "How dare you? Do you know who I am?

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
Grrrr... that infuriated me.

That was roughly when everything went to **** for us.

At that point we had about 45 NHLers and some really good ones but we'd bring Barinka instead of PEAK Jan Hejda. Cut Hudler because we already had Elias. Play Stepanek instead of our NHL goalies. We had potential for very strong teams then and it was s till a Top 6! Canadian media constantly mocking our selections for the teams and I had no defence because we kept picking lesser players.

Now I'm mad.lol

I get we won Nagano with a half NHL squad and 2010 with no NHLers. We should enjoy those victories and not purposely pick weaker teams because it worked then.lol

Yep.

Pete Nedved was alright though.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Yep.

Pete Nedved was alright though.
That's another one pissing me off!lol

I get bringing in old man Jagr as inspirational leader... of course
Then it become Nedved... um, okay
Now it's Gulas.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
And use him as a top scorer in PP instead of Vrana.WTF
Yup.. sitting Vrana and Chytil who are our Top 5 in NHL for goal scoring for Czechs. Imagine if Chytil passes this year with a 'undisclosed injury'... imagine if Hajek passes too?

I did love watchign that Riha team, don't get me wrong but he seemed to have disdain for the NHLer's.

Since I'm rambling... here is a list of guys I think will be available (not sure if any don't have a contract though)
Frolik, chytil, Hajek, Hronek, Zadina, Frk, Simek, Hertl, Kubalik, Kampf, Kase... all 3 of our goalies are playoff bound though!

Now add Jaskin, Sedlak and Kovar to that group.

Also Zboril, Masin, Sustr and Jerabek.

Just no idea who the goalie will be though...

Zacha and Chlapik will be available too...

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Oh goody.. another 'fun' pool next year! Most likely crossover opponent being Canada after that... FML

upload_2020-1-5_17-30-26.png

Curious to see how Germany does against Slovakia and Switzerland.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
He did get invited to top Prospects game. He's also a 6'2 Centre. He was also on the first line playing against the other teams top lines while Mysak was pitted against weaker players.

I love both. Don't get me wrong.
OHL breaks down its top prospects - BarrieToday.com

He seems to be on pace to be the next Zacha/Faksa... we'll see.

What I don't like is that he was around 1.5ppg to start season and slowed.. not sure why.
I mean, you just had the opportunity to see him play five times this tournament. If that didn't answer your question I am not sure what does.
Faksa is good playstyle comparison, but Pytlik has a long way to reach his level. In my opinion, he is the most overhyped Czech prospect since Zacha, both were/are physically developed well beyond their age, playing against juniors in a prominent role on their teams and yet, the production is not there at all. If he wasn't playing in NA no one would even mention his name and 1st round in the same sentence.
Mysak is the far superior prospect and there are couple others who I also like more.

Reactions: kudla

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Just saw the Hubacek commentary... it was excellent.

Also... Mysak is replacing Jenik. Hope he has similar chemistry with Kalilyev! I hate it when young players play few minutes in the Extraliga so I'm happy for Mysak and hope he tears it up and raises his draft status:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">2020 draft eligible forward Jan Mysak, who played for CZE in WJC, is heading to Hamilton Bulldogs of the OHL.</p>&mdash; Bob McKenzie (@TSNBobMcKenzie) <a href="">January 5, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Reactions: smitty10

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I mean, you just had the opportunity to see him play five times this tournament. If that didn't answer your question I am not sure what does.
Faksa is good playstyle comparison, but Pytlik has a long way to reach his level. In my opinion, he is the most overhyped Czech prospect since Zacha, both were/are physically developed well beyond their age, playing against juniors in a prominent role on their teams and yet, the production is not there at all. If he wasn't playing in NA no one would even mention his name and 1st round in the same sentence.
Mysak is the far superior prospect and there are couple others who I also like more.
I'd be happy if he became the next Faksa/Zacha... elated to be honest. We need Centres!

Who do you like more?

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
Can you believe that? "Jiné ambice teď ani mít nemůžeme. Chceme udržet ty turnaje nejvyšší kategorie pro další naše ročníky, které budou lepší. Ale to se bavíme o ročnících, které budou hrát juniorské MS za deset let. Až za deset let totiž bude vidět práce, kterou teď začínáme dělat"

MS hokej U20 | Stav českého hokeje? Je to velmi smutné. Velmi smutné, přiznává Pešán

See you in 10 years guys. Hope our kids will do allright:)

Reactions: Czechboy

vil

Nov 20, 2017
At the keyboard.
Can you believe that? "We cant have different ambitions now. We want to stay in the highest category tournaments for later birth years, which will be better. But we are talking about those who will play junior WC in ten years time. Only then will the work we have started become apparent."

WC hockey U20 | The state of Czech hockey? Its very sad. Very sad, admits Pešán

Well if my kids have anything to say about that...

Seriously FU Pešán. Started singing the song of the Hockey Mafia as soon as they gave him a job.

We are competitive at U14 - U15. We suck just two years later. Why should this take 10 years? If we could improve what we do with 16 - 20 year olds we could be better almost instantly. The will is not there, not (just) the kids will, the establisment has no motivation to develop players.

These guys all need to be playing a lot of meaningful games where they have to prove their abilities. Pytlík, Zacha, Reichel jr. and hundreds of others were world champions at 15 because they got into the highest competition in the Czech Republic "with their little finger up their nose" as our saying goes.

Pastrňák and Vrána (and dozens of others) went to Sweden, Canada, US, Finland or even Switzerland to play better games. And often to practice better.

lamini

Nov 30, 2011
Prostějov
Can you believe that? "Jiné ambice teď ani mít nemůžeme. Chceme udržet ty turnaje nejvyšší kategorie pro další naše ročníky, které budou lepší. Ale to se bavíme o ročnících, které budou hrát juniorské MS za deset let. Až za deset let totiž bude vidět práce, kterou teď začínáme dělat"

MS hokej U20 | Stav českého hokeje? Je to velmi smutné. Velmi smutné, přiznává Pešán

The worst part is that in 10 years, he'll be replaced by someone new, who'll tell us that he'll need another 10 years to fix our hockey.

Reactions: Czechboy and Swipes

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
It started when I was 28, it should heal when I will be almost 50, thats not normal

Don't worry man. I'll be here to keep you company. We can look forward to it together :laugh:

But on a more serious note, perhaps they give us a 10 year timeline so that we forget that it was 10 years ago when they said the same thing.

Ludicrous.

Reactions: Jablkon

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Don't worry man. I'll be here to keep you company. We can look forward to it together :laugh:

But on a more serious note, perhaps they give us a 10 year timeline so that we forget that it was 10 years ago when they said the same thing.

Ludicrous.
I'll join you too.

The oilers fans call it the rebuild within the rebuild.

Reactions: Swipes

lamini

Nov 30, 2011
Prostějov
It started when I was 28, it should heal when I will be almost 50, thats not normal

In 1950 most of our golden generation was put to prison....it took us 5 years to get bronze from WC again and 22 years to get gold again. According to their schedule, we will start competing for medals at WJC around 2030, lets say another 5 years till we have competitive adult team...that's 2035, so 25 years since our gold in 2010 (which was also a lucky one).

I must say Pešán has a dream job, everywhere else the results would be expected much sooner.

Edit: on the other hand, it must be depressing for guys like Hertl, Pastrnak or Vrana....they just told them they'll be close to retirement by the time they plan to finally produce some talent for them to play with

Reactions: Swipes and Czechboy

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

Thanks for posting this!

I get the 10 year argument, I really do.

Here's the thing though. What if they decided to implement a system to be a certain way in 10 years and the game totally changes in 10 years and our direction was wrong?

I won't see what is happening with the young kids so I can't comment. I hope it's good. However, I would like to see changes to the Junior teams and such. Those things would be very visible. If, for the next 10 years, all the teams and structures stay the same way and our players keep leaving for Sweden, CHL, USHL, Finland and, probably, Germany then nothing will improve.

I'd just love to hear the plan for keeping our kids at home until 18 or 19? Except the Top 5 picks or what not who can be in the AHL or NHL by 20.

joey16

Dec 27, 2010

I remember exactly when Lener said this in 2010 when he started. He said it's gonna take 5-10 years and we should start to see the results. OK, now it's been 10 years and pretty much the same senteces is using Pesan.
Quick research: Česko a hokejová velmoc? Brzy se dočkáme, věří svazový šéftrenér Lener - iDNES.cz, Když vše půjde, můžeme svět dohnat do deseti let | Noviny | Lidovky.cz
I mean they could all just copy that and nobody would tell the difference.

The sentence "Až za deset let totiž bude vidět práce, kterou teď začínáme dělat" is truly amazing. Work they are now starting to do? What have they done until now then? I know Pesan is new there but shouldn't someone be responsible for what has been and not been done until now?
Plus everything is so abstract. Like what work they are starting? Does anybody here know it? Serious question. I have absolutely no idea what kind of work he is talking about nor do I know what was the work Lener and company had done. I would appreciate more details and transparency. All I see now is a absolute mess in junior leagues and (not only) top prospects leaving the system as soon as possible.
Also pretty disturbing to me is saying that the problem is that kids these days are in too much comfort. That's just an empty phrase that has been used for more than a decade in every sport that is not successful at the moment. Like what era is he comparing it to and why isn't this such a big deal in Sweden, Finland etc then? Seems like a stupid excuse which l would not expect from Pesan some time ago..

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I remember exactly when Lener said this in 2010 when he started. He said it's gonna take 5-10 years and we should start to see the results. OK, now it's been 10 years and pretty much the same senteces is using Pesan.
Quick research: Česko a hokejová velmoc? Brzy se dočkáme, věří svazový šéftrenér Lener - iDNES.cz, Když vše půjde, můžeme svět dohnat do deseti let | Noviny | Lidovky.cz
I mean they could all just copy that and nobody would tell the difference.

The sentence "Až za deset let totiž bude vidět práce, kterou teď začínáme dělat" is truly amazing. Work they are now starting to do? What have they done until now then? I know Pesan is new there but shouldn't someone be responsible for what has been and not been done until now?
Plus everything is so abstract. Like what work they are starting? Does anybody here know it? Serious question. I have absolutely no idea what kind of work he is talking about nor do I know what was the work Lener and company had done. I would appreciate more details and transparency. All I see now is a absolute mess in junior leagues and (not only) top prospects leaving the system as soon as possible.
Also pretty disturbing to me is saying that the problem is that kids these days are in too much comfort. That's just an empty phrase that has been used for more than a decade in every sport that is not successful at the moment. Like what era is he comparing it to and why isn't this such a big deal in Sweden, Finland etc then? Seems like a stupid excuse which l would not expect from Pesan some time ago..
Agree with all of it.

For instance, in Canada, Hockey Canada went out of their way to turn kids hockey into half rink games until they are 8 and a half. They also introduced smaller nets for that age category. Brought in boards so they could play 2 games at once instead of one big game.

What are the Czechs doing that early?

I don't mind our top guys leaving (eg. Mysak) but I hate that the middle of the round guys all leave.. Barinka, Raska, Pavel, Novak etc. If they all stayed till they were 19 the leagues would improve consdierably as the competition would be more fierce to get those spots. Less teams is something I'd like as well. During the tourney someone said we have 19 teams... I didn't confirm it but the OHL has 20. Why does the Czech junior league have as many teams as the OHL?

I do feel stupid though.. I thought Pesan took over for Lener and he was gone. I thought he was given the keys to the castle if you will. You can't affect change if the same old guys are there.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Martin Has is headed to OHL... North Bay.

Feels like a demotion to me from Finland but that's just a guess.

I'm pretty sure Nick Malik is headed to the Soo as well... No proof though.

Not good when they all leave... I didn't mind Mysak

joey16

Dec 27, 2010
Agree with all of it.

For instance, in Canada, Hockey Canada went out of their way to turn kids hockey into half rink games until they are 8 and a half. They also introduced smaller nets for that age category. Brought in boards so they could play 2 games at once instead of one big game.

I don't mind our top guys leaving (eg. Mysak) but I hate that the middle of the round guys all leave.. Barinka, Raska, Pavel, Novak etc. If they all stayed till they were 19 the leagues would improve consdierably as the competition would be more fierce to get those spots. Less teams is something I'd like as well. During the tourney someone said we have 19 teams... I didn't confirm it but the OHL has 20. Why does the Czech junior league have as many teams as the OHL?

I do feel stupid though.. I thought Pesan took over for Lener and he was gone. I thought he was given the keys to the castle if you will. You can't affect change if the same old guys are there.

Kritický Pešán: o vztahu s Varaďou, lhaní si do kapsy i o tom, že i záchrana je pro Čechy úspěch

Here is the whole interveiw. OK, I must admit that Pesan is making some good points here - about the clubs and their interests, about narrowing the junior leagues and not changing their system every year or about academies..

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Kritický Pešán: o vztahu s Varaďou, lhaní si do kapsy i o tom, že i záchrana je pro Čechy úspěch

Here is the whole interveiw. OK, I must admit that Pesan is making some good points here - about the clubs and their interests, about narrowing the junior leagues and not changing their system every year or about academies..
Thanks... he makes nothing but good points. Reducing the leagues and the 19 academies, greedy owners and Czech society in general. Very good read. He also seemed to touch upon former stars coming in and not helping that much as they care more about their own clubs. Maybe he's pissed off enough to do something?

I didn't fully understand the Litmorice part or what Litmorec etc. are? Some special youth team? I know they mentioned it a lot during the U17 (or Junior A challenge, can't remember).

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
Agree with all of it.

I do feel stupid though.. I thought Pesan took over for Lener and he was gone. I thought he was given the keys to the castle if you will. You can't affect change if the same old guys are there.[/QUOTE]

Just too long in Canada, where it would be unacceptable:) I guess thats what we are all frustrated about. We would appreciate little kind of normality and instead of it we have to deal with the mess.

If I am not mistaken, last year there were like 24 teams in junior league? Now there are supposed to be just these academy teams plus Salzburg and Olomouc. And those Havirov, Vsetin and Prerov suits Association now to stay in league as well. Or they probably want relagation only for teams which ended up on relegation position last year, which imo makes sense. But still too much teams.

I have mixed feelings about it. He still considering Hockey as some element which should put czech society together. I have to say, from what I see, that czech society and fans standing incredibly together shouting they completely failed. Also I dont really understand what he means by suggesting to stop criticize on FB, media etc and start working. Like he wants to invite somebody to do smth or... I mean it would be great, but its still too blurry for me.

Sorry,my response is in box above.Dont know why. I have to learn how to organize it. Going to bed now. Good night.

Reactions: Czechboy

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
Thats sad. So if I understand it correctly. They sent Havirov, Vsetin etc to junior second league becuase they are not academies but there is relegation system so acadamies can fall to second league and these clubs can be obviously promoted? So they just sent them to second league as starting point and giving them a chance to promote next season? Man, I can not believe this can happen. I can not. Are you reading it in same way? VV ČSLH schválil strukturu nižších a mládežnických soutěží | Český hokej

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad