WJC: Czech Republic 2020 Roster Talk

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
we are missing some players too (dahlin, bokvist, gunler, olofsson, hållander).

i would say its 50-50, i think we have more skilled players but you guys play at home and did great vs russia and usa.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
we are missing some players too (dahlin, bokvist, gunler, olofsson, hållander).

i would say its 50-50, i think we have more skilled players but you guys play at home and did great vs russia and usa.
No doubt that Sweden is considerably deeper than us. How many of your listed players were at the tourney and got injured?

Eg. last year Chytil didn't come to the tourney because he was in the NHL.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I really like this team. I thought relegation before it started so happy we got out of our pool.

Next years team looks much better IMO:

Returning: Parik and Malik (I'll add Bednar)
Teply, Raska, Mysak and Pitlyk (I'll add Novak)
Has, Kubicek, Klikorka and Kucerik (that's 2 of our 3 best D) (I'll add Svozil)

2 of our 3 best players are back. Mysak will be in AHL or CHL which will help too.

I hope Pitlyk raised his stock. Same with Mysak, Raska and Kubicek.

Who knows, maybe all our eligible guys get drafted? I'd be thrilled if we had 2 go in first round, Kubicek in first 3 rounds and Klikorka got drafted anywhere.

I wonder if Zabransky did anything for his stock as an over ager? You never know.

czechmate

Jan 1, 2016
The current display of Czech hockey is quite a challenge to deal with mentally :laugh: You cant say the young guys didn't put in the effort today - they did; so you have to give them credit for their fighting spirit and thats a positive thing. And another positive thing is that we do start to develop slightly more talents than we did throughout the last decade. However the big question marks and uncertainties remain.

I just wish we could have some success again, be it at U20 or at the "normal" WC. That would be so important for the morale of Czech hockey! Those sweeps (5:0, 7:2, etc.) at U20 level have become a sad normality. We've been waiting for such a long time for an exploit throughout all age groups (not only U20 level but also on WC level) and I believe we could have the potential, at least at the WC level to put together a competitive group that is able to pull off something crazy once in a while. The hope is there but it's been a quite a while now.

I can't wait for my yearly dosis of that "feeling" that I get when I see our Czech coaches building our "sestava" and putting together our lines for the WC. I always get slightly less optimistic and more nervous. :huh::laugh:

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
The current display of Czech hockey is quite a challenge to deal with mentally :laugh: You cant say the young guys didn't put in the effort today - they did; so you have to give them credit for their fighting spirit and thats a positive thing. And another positive thing is that we do start to develop slightly more talents than we did throughout the last decade. However the big question marks and uncertainties remain.

I just wish we could have some success again, be it at U20 or at the "normal" WC. That would be so important for the morale of Czech hockey! Those sweeps (5:0, 7:2, etc.) at U20 level have become a sad normality. We've been waiting for such a long time for an exploit throughout all age groups (not only U20 level but also on WC level) and I believe we could have the potential, at least at the WC level to put together a competitive group that is able to pull off something crazy once in a while. The hope is there but it's been a quite a while now.

I can't wait for my yearly dosis of that "feeling" that I get when I see our Czech coaches building our "sestava" and putting together our lines for the WC. I always get slightly less optimistic and more nervous. :huh::laugh:

As a hockey fan, it would be great to see the Czech Republic merge with Slovakia again. The breakup has weakened a potential great hockey power. Both countries have struggled and embarrassed themselves on the world stage for more than a decade. Even though i cheer for Canada, i like to see other nations perform well in hockey. It is a shame to see the Czechs and the Slovaks perform so terrible the last 15 years or so. Ever since the Czechs won Gold in the 1998 Olympics, and some World Championships in the early and mid 2000's- they have seen early exits in the WJHC, World Cup, Olympics, and WHC. Should be unacceptable to the Czech people. Would love to see both countries come together again. Would be amazing for their hockey program.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
As a hockey fan, it would be great to see the Czech Republic merge with Slovakia again. The breakup has weakened a potential great hockey power. Both countries have struggled and embarrassed themselves on the world stage for more than a decade. Even though i cheer for Canada, i like to see other nations perform well in hockey. It is a shame to see the Czechs and the Slovaks perform so terrible the last 15 years or so. Ever since the Czechs won Gold in the 1998 Olympics, and some World Championships in the early and mid 2000's- they have seen early exits in the WJHC, World Cup, Olympics, and WHC. Should be unacceptable to the Czech people. Would love to see both countries come together again. Would be amazing for their hockey program.
Humour me..

Who from the Slovak roster would help us in this tourney?
At the upcoming World's.. which Slovak would put us over the top?

I've highlighted all the guys from Slovakia who aren't on playoff teams. Let's say they all say yes...

upload_2020-1-2_19-39-7.png

Even if it was a best on best.. which of these guys us putting us back in the Top 5?

I'm not saying this to insult the Slovaks.. but the best Czech team and the best 'new Czechoslovakia team' will finish 6th.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
Any update on Lukas Parik’s injury? My cousin plays for Spokane so I’m wondering for their sake as their backup to Parik just tore his ACL or something like that.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Any update on Lukas Parik’s injury? My cousin plays for Spokane so I’m wondering for their sake as their backup to Parik just tore his ACL or something like that.
I think he was the backup in the Sweden game... think he's fine.

lamini

Nov 30, 2011
Prostějov

Even if Czechoslovakia still existened the situation would be same. The people responsible for czech hockey often have no idea what they are doing. It seems they have different plan every year, changes are made so they can be changed again one year later. Sometimes I feel the best thing that can happen to czech hockey is the funding from government stops, so people that are in hockey only for money go somewhere else and some enthusiasts can replace them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Czechboy

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
Even of Czechoslovakia still existened the situation would be same. The people responsible for czech hockey often have no idea what they are doing. It seems they have different plan every year, changes are made so they can be changed again one year later. Sometimes I feel the best thing that can happen to czech hockey is the funding from government stops, so people that are in hockey only for money go somewhere else and some enthusiasts can replace them.
Agree, if nothing changes now, things could go even worse once these people attach to money sources from so called Sport Agency. This will create an octopus. We have to stop it now!

joey16

Dec 27, 2010

"Tentokrát by však mocipáni mohli narazit. Třeba už na červnové volební konferenci. Existují vlivné osobnosti, jimž současné nepořádky vadí a které si pohrávají s myšlenkou převzít zodpovědnost."

This is interesting. I wonder who is he talking about. After every failed tournament come up many critics and although they usually make good points, so far there was nobody who would say that would be willing to take take over the responsibility and actually start doing something.

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
"Tentokrát by však mocipáni mohli narazit. Třeba už na červnové volební konferenci. Existují vlivné osobnosti, jimž současné nepořádky vadí a které si pohrávají s myšlenkou převzít zodpovědnost."

This is interesting. I wonder who is he talking about. After every failed tournament come up many critics and although they usually make good points, so far there was nobody who would say that would be willing to take take over the responsibility and actually start doing something.
Yep, I think this could be like real disadvantage of these people. There are tons of them (Bukac jr., Vrbata, Erat, Moravec?, Sykora sr., Hadamczik, Zacha, Dopita? etc etc.). I mean no one block them to put heads together and bring their own theory/system what to do and simply say "we....... are saying this is wrong and it should be done like this....). I am bit of afraid that these guys are getting to be frustrated and they will loose the sense how to cooperate with each other. Unfortunately it is obvious that whoever became member of association board together with old members, automatically became more or less servile or at least stopped commenting things. Like, imo, bit of Zabransky and Straka...

lamini

Nov 30, 2011
Prostějov

Well, if Hlinka was alive, he'd probably be without influence to change anything, similar to what happened to Bukac. There are too many people that would lose positions and money if things changed and they'll make sure that no real changes are done. We cry there's not enough money, but when you see how easily those money are "redirected" you realize no amount of money will be enough to improve things.

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
Well, if Hlinka was alive, he'd probably be without influence to change anything, similar to what happened to Bukac. There are too many people that would lose positions and money if things changed and they'll make sure that no real changes are done. We cry there's not enough money, but when you see how easily those money are "redirected" you realize no amount of money will be enough to improve things.
All I am saying that these people who criticise it should built some entity or start speaking as a one voice. You are right, but frankly it does not look that miserable. There are lot of known persons who criticise it, they have media on their side and fans as well. Its not like there two or three people rising hands. sure if you isolate and separate them, then yes, but otherwise this could be strong and powerfull voice. Fans imo should be more active in it. Anyway they imo have to start talking to each other. Its imo unrealistic that one guy would bring entire conception. Sure Bukac brought the draft but he is dead now so at least more people would have to discuss it again.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden

The Czech's had some great years in the late 90's and early 00's. Slovakia was strong in the early and mid 00's. Both have faired well on their own in the past. Merging the countries together again wouldn't do anything for their program. Those good players born in the 70's grew up under communism. Every kid could afford to play hockey. Neither country wants communism back.

Reactions: Kipper933

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Isn't Pesan the boss now? Haven't heard a word from him.

Not sure how I missed that Lener (who I like) and Kral (who I don't) are still in power. It's rare in business that you can suck at your job for a decade and keep it! Oilers do this as well. Hey, you didn't make the playoffs for a decade... here's a raise.

My fear is that the new talking heads are former NHLers with zero experience in coaching, development and tactics.

For instance, going into 2015... we were tied with the Finns for a decade without medals (give or take a year) and now the Finns are winning golds and in the Semi's every year while winning a few worlds and creating a top 5 player every year.

To me, that means someone got really pissed off around 2007 or so (after 2 years without a medal) and changed things and now that has paid off. The thing is, I don't know who that is. There is probably some brilliant Finn who started all this that isn't name Kurri or Selanne.

We have a huge problem but 'needs more Jagr' isn't the solution. We have a 100 year history of hockey... the answers are in the country. They just need to give a voice to others and fire the upper crust entirely... retire their jerseys, thank them in ceremonies but remove them from the room. Needs a fresh set of eyes and a clear plan.

For starters... create a junior system that makes players want to stay. Focus more on skating and skills because our team this year (which I loved) was all about shot blocking and passion. Basically, we were icing Kris Russel 'heart and soul' type players.

Rexor

Oct 24, 2006
Brno
I think the real problem are club owners who simply don't care about developing young players because it doesn't pay off for them. To believe that we need one "great person" at the top, a savior, someone highly competent with great ideas who will just rebuild the system from the scratch and bring back our glory days is naive and immature. As anyone who follows Czech politics must see, it doesn't work there and I'm fairly certain it won't be working in Czech hockey either. Lener actually had great ideas, had vast experience from abroad and was as familiar with the Swedish system as anyone. Still, he could do only as much because club owners didn't care.

lamini

Nov 30, 2011
Prostějov
I think the real problem are club owners who simply don't care about developing young players because it doesn't pay off for them.

And they are the only ones who can really change anything. The change will happen when it's cheaper for them to develop young player than hire AHL level Canadian or 40 yo washed up Czech. What Zabransky did with Necas (and is doing with few others) may be the right start. As soon as we have enough young players in rich teams, those owners may push CSLH to change rules to make them friendlier for young players.
As long as it's some random person trying to change things and team owners have teams build around old players, nothing will change. Rule changes will be stopped by team owners and any money you put into hockey will result in more owerpaid foreigners/old czech players.

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
Isn't Pesan the boss now? Haven't heard a word from him.

Not sure how I missed that Lener (who I like) and Kral (who I don't) are still in power. It's rare in business that you can suck at your job for a decade and keep it! Oilers do this as well. Hey, you didn't make the playoffs for a decade... here's a raise.

My fear is that the new talking heads are former NHLers with zero experience in coaching, development and tactics.

For instance, going into 2015... we were tied with the Finns for a decade without medals (give or take a year) and now the Finns are winning golds and in the Semi's every year while winning a few worlds and creating a top 5 player every year.

To me, that means someone got really pissed off around 2007 or so (after 2 years without a medal) and changed things and now that has paid off. The thing is, I don't know who that is. There is probably some brilliant Finn who started all this that isn't name Kurri or Selanne.

We have a huge problem but 'needs more Jagr' isn't the solution. We have a 100 year history of hockey... the answers are in the country. They just need to give a voice to others and fire the upper crust entirely... retire their jerseys, thank them in ceremonies but remove them from the room. Needs a fresh set of eyes and a clear plan.

For starters... create a junior system that makes players want to stay. Focus more on skating and skills because our team this year (which I loved) was all about shot blocking and passion. Basically, we were icing Kris Russel 'heart and soul' type players.
Here is your answer about finns. How Finland has emerged as a hockey superpower

The biggest difference imo is in Finnland it was created by top notch hockey guys. Last time we had coaches on such a level is imo maybe Augusta generation. Guys after him are all questionable either for personality, character or hockey quality, maybe except Vujtek.

They obviously dont want to leave.

Reactions: Swipes and Czechboy

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
I think the real problem are club owners who simply don't care about developing young players because it doesn't pay off for them. To believe that we need one "great person" at the top, a savior, someone highly competent with great ideas who will just rebuild the system from the scratch and bring back our glory days is naive and immature. As anyone who follows Czech politics must see, it doesn't work there and I'm fairly certain it won't be working in Czech hockey either. Lener actually had great ideas, had vast experience from abroad and was as familiar with the Swedish system as anyone. Still, he could do only as much because club owners didn't care.

Well what kind of great ideas Lener really brought up? He came up with 10 commandments. When somebody asked him for results of his work he only showed some percentage stats of winning, which obviously he cant show anymore, because they are still low. He never said smth clear what he wanted to do and how he wants to do it. And he also never complained about club owners, if I am clear.

I am not sure how you you come up with conclusion that its mostly owners fault. Obviously people complain about training methodology and quality of players. The analysis why they are worse than top 5 should be here 4 years ago. And its up to association to make such analysis. Otherwise its just crystal ball reading. Lener and Kral didnt do any such a thing. In fact, in their own 2019 hockey summit, they said, everything is OK. They should be fired immediately only for such a pure lie.

Last edited:

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
Sorry I will probably never understand to that love for Lener. He got his chance, they started to heavily criticise him 4 years later. Not only Bukac, but Hadamczik, notwithsanding Zacha etc. He never reacted, never. No article, no explanation, nothing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad