WJC: Czech Republic 2019 Roster Talk

kudla

May 11, 2016
Bratislava, Slovakia
The only bad thing about Kaut is that he chose to move to the AHL. I don't know in whose mind playing 70 games per year with relentless travel in-between is a great idea. But I guess Chytil went that way, Zadina is going this way, etc., so we will see.

Regarding goalies, this drop was rather natural, with development in goalie technique both Russian, Czech and Slovak goalies were left behind quite a bit. Russians evidently have figured it out with Vasilevsky, Samsonov, Shestyorkin and Samsonov (3 off whom aren't in the NHL yet either), it's only the matter of time when Czechs do as well. Skarek, for example, looks great for a guy who is yet to turn 19 so far this season. On Slovak side, they had 2 goalies drafted this year after a very, very long time. In what seems like forever.

So in a few years things should pick up.
Slovakia also had 2 drafted goalies in 2015

Last edited:

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
Nosek is a proof of bad czech development. This guy came to NHL as below average skater and he looks like speedster now (based on preseason).Good thing is he obviously improved during the summer in CZ, so there must be somebody here who knows how to do it:))

I only wish we will have more than 10 players on draft every year. 15 would be good starting point. Its kind of miracle how many overagers we managed to send to NHL. Imo Radil, Simek, Francouz, even Kovar will play some games this season.

But its not a solution for czech national team. They will all have one major opportunity on int stage, which is 2022 OGs. Then they will get old. But none of them will become crucial player on such a stage imo.

Anyway if result of our program is only narrowing deviations in numbers of drafted czechs every year and we will settle on number 10-12, then its imo pretty poor result of that last 9 years.

Martin Hubner

Sep 6, 2018
Krnov
Nosek is a proof of bad czech development. This guy came to NHL as below average skater and he looks like speedster now (based on preseason).Good thing is he obviously improved during the summer in CZ, so there must be somebody here who knows how to do it:))

I only wish we will have more than 10 players on draft every year. 15 would be good starting point. Its kind of miracle how many overagers we managed to send to NHL. Imo Radil, Simek, Francouz, even Kovar will play some games this season.

But its not a solution for czech national team. They will all have one major opportunity on int stage, which is 2022 OGs. Then they will get old. But none of them will become crucial player on such a stage imo.

Anyway if result of our program is only narrowing deviations in numbers of drafted czechs every year and we will settle on number 10-12, then its imo pretty poor result of that last 9 years.
I personaly think, that number of drafted players is not very important. More important is number of players who made it into some top league (NHL, KHL, AHL, for czechs players extraliga) and when you look at players born in 1999 then you can see some good players coming out from Czech republic.

Players who will propably play in NHL:
Filip Chytil
Martin Kaut
Martin Nečas
Filip Zadina

Players who can possibly make it into NHL in future:
Jakub Galvas
Filip Kral
Jachym Kondelik
Ostap Safin
Jakub Skarek

And another guys that cay in some top league (AHL, KHL, Extraliga...)
Radim Šalda
Jakub Pour
Ondřej Buchtela
Daniel Bukač
Ondřej Chrtek
Oscar Flynn
Michael Gaspar
Jan Hladonik
Kryštof Hrabik
David Kvasnička
Ondřej Machala

Also a lot of guys from 2000, 2001, 2002... so i think its not that bad.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Jan Kovar got sent to AHL as well.. I thought he was a lock with a one way contract. Hronek also didn't make it. Simek did but not sure if he gets his first NHL game. Sulak is in the same situation. Hope he can stick and take advantage of the injuries to Detroit's D. Also, Jaskin in Washington is great news.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague

The younger generations don't have the same skating problems Nosek's, Jaskin's or Kovar's had. Nowadays in the junior national teams you usually have 2-3 high-end skaters and the rest is about the average. The overall skating skill went up, especially for forwards. (unfortunately defensemen remain average to below average skaters mostly)
Which draft eligible players have a shot at making the team??
Michal Teply and Martin Has should be in running. Jan Mysak could make it as an U17.

Martin Hubner

Sep 6, 2018
Krnov
The younger generations don't have the same skating problems Nosek's, Jaskin's or Kovar's had. Nowadays in the junior national teams you usually have 2-3 high-end skaters and the rest is about the average. The overall skating skill went up, especially for forwards. (unfortunately defensemen remain average to below average skaters mostly)

Michal Teply and Martin Has should be in running. Jan Mysak could make it as an U17.

And maybe Jaromír Pytlík.

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
I personaly think, that number of drafted players is not very important. More important is number of players who made it into some top league (NHL, KHL, AHL, for czechs players extraliga) and when you look at players born in 1999 then you can see some good players coming out from Czech republic.

Players who will propably play in NHL:
Filip Chytil
Martin Kaut
Martin Nečas
Filip Zadina

Players who can possibly make it into NHL in future:
Jakub Galvas
Filip Kral
Jachym Kondelik
Ostap Safin
Jakub Skarek

And another guys that cay in some top league (AHL, KHL, Extraliga...)
Radim Šalda
Jakub Pour
Ondřej Buchtela
Daniel Bukač
Ondřej Chrtek
Oscar Flynn
Michael Gaspar
Jan Hladonik
Kryštof Hrabik
David Kvasnička
Ondřej Machala

Also a lot of guys from 2000, 2001, 2002... so i think its not that bad.
Its not bad but there is still massive gap compare to Finnland which should be 5th or 4th best nation now. I mean we finnally produced some, ot lets say two elite centers (hopefully). But if we follow same path with 10 draftees every year including three goalies, thats like 7 players every year including both forwards and Ds. But, on the other hand it looks like most of these guys now really make a team in some time. Anyway still development obviously does not have central results. They promised to focus on Ds like 5 years ago? And results are poor imo.

But not to be that much critical, I watched Vitkovice - Zlin match and seemed to me as quite a good modern hockey.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Looks like both Hronek and Sulak debut tonight! Some good news. Of course Kase and Kempny are both hurt. I get the feeling it will be a bad year for Czechs in the NHL.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
In all my bitching I didn't notice that Kampf made opening night!

Martin Hubner

Sep 6, 2018
Krnov
So, what do you guys think about this?

Goalies:
Jakub Škarek
Lukáš Dostál
Nick Malík

Defense:
Jakub Galvas
Filip Král
Šimon Kubíček
Martin Hugo Haš
David Kvasnička
Libor Zábranský / Dalimil Mikyska

Offense:

Martin Nečas
Filip Chytil
Kryštof Hrabík
Matěj Pekař
Filip Zadina
Martin Kaut
Jakub Lauko
Jan Jeník
Jaromír Pytlík / Matěj Blümel / Jan Myšák
Michal Teplý
Ostap Safin
Vojtěch Štrondala

Lineup:
Škarek
Dostál

Galvas Král
Kvasnička Kubíček
Haš Mikyska / Zábranský

Zadina Chytil Pekař
Lauko Nečas Kaut
Jeník Hrabík Safin
Teplý Štrondala Pytlík/Blümel/Myšák

Last edited:
Reactions: czechcanadian

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

Goalies:
Jakub Škarek
Lukáš Dostál
Nick Malík

Defense:
Jakub Galvas
Filip Král
Šimon Kubíček
Martin Hugo Haš
David Kvasnička

Offense:

Martin Nečas
Filip Chytil
Kryštof Hrabík
Matěj Pekař
Filip Zadina
Martin Kaut
Jakub Lauko
Jan Jeník
Michal Teplý
Ostap Safin
Vojtěch Štrondala

Lineup:
Škarek
Dostál

Galvas Král
Kvasnička Kubíček
Haš Mikyska / Zábranský

Zadina Chytil Pekař
Lauko Nečas Kaut
Jeník Hrabík Safin

This team could get to the Semi's and then who knows? However, Necas and Chytil are unlikely. We'll see about Zadina and Kaut as well.

Also, is Salda no longer elibible?

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague

Goalies:
Jakub Škarek
Lukáš Dostál
Nick Malík

Defense:
Jakub Galvas
Filip Král
Šimon Kubíček
Martin Hugo Haš
David Kvasnička

Offense:

Martin Nečas
Filip Chytil
Kryštof Hrabík
Matěj Pekař
Filip Zadina
Martin Kaut
Jakub Lauko
Jan Jeník
Michal Teplý
Ostap Safin
Vojtěch Štrondala

Lineup:
Škarek
Dostál

Galvas Král
Kvasnička Kubíček
Haš Mikyska / Zábranský

Zadina Chytil Pekař
Lauko Nečas Kaut
Jeník Hrabík Safin
Necas and Chytil likely won't be there. Barring health problems, Salda and Plasek will make the team. Either way, with the defense we will have we are not going anywhere.

Zadina Pekař Jeník
Teplý Lauko Kaut
Plášek Kondelík Myšák
Machala Hrabík Safin
Blumel/Pytlík/Střondala

Galvas Šalda
Král Zábranský
Kvasnička? Haš

Dostál
Škarek
Patera

Our U18's are getting killed by the Russians so far... not good.
I have seen both games and the Czech team was awful, truly awful. Teply, Mysak and Najman are the only ones who had some good moments, Peterek with some flashes. Cernohorsky was a complete unknown for me and he looked pretty decent, along with Poizl they are the only defensemen who exhibited some offensive skills. Russians are faster, much more skilled, stronger. Just no chance really. In both games there have been tons of penalties on both sides and the Czech PP is one of the most pathetic ones I have ever seen. Thought we are getting better at this part of the game (in all age groups), but it has been so bad.
The worst thing is while yes, we are missing about a half of the team, I am not sure how much better the team would be anyway? 01's are doing terribly in the CHL, should they continue at their current "pace" none of them even sniffs draft. From Europe we are missing Has, Pytlik and Suhrada. Not sure about Suhrada, but Pytlik and Has are obviously very good.
Considering how much promise the 2001 age group showed the last two years, they have been a huge let down so far this season.

Martin Hubner

Sep 6, 2018
Krnov
Necas and Chytil likely won't be there. Barring health problems, Salda and Plasek will make the team. Either way, with the defense we will have we are not going anywhere.

Zadina Pekař Jeník
Teplý Lauko Kaut
Plášek Kondelík Myšák
Machala Hrabík Safin
Blumel/Pytlík/Střondala

Galvas Šalda
Král Zábranský
Kvasnička? Haš

Dostál
Škarek
Patera

I have seen both games and the Czech team was awful, truly awful. Teply, Mysak and Najman are the only ones who had some good moments, Peterek with some flashes. Cernohorsky was a complete unknown for me and he looked pretty decent, along with Poizl they are the only defensemen who exhibited some offensive skills. Russians are faster, much more skilled, stronger. Just no chance really. In both games there have been tons of penalties on both sides and the Czech PP is one of the most pathetic ones I have ever seen. Thought we are getting better at this part of the game (in all age groups), but it has been so bad.
The worst thing is while yes, we are missing about a half of the team, I am not sure how much better the team would be anyway? 01's are doing terribly in the CHL, should they continue at their current "pace" none of them even sniffs draft. From Europe we are missing Has, Pytlik and Suhrada. Not sure about Suhrada, but Pytlik and Has are obviously very good.
Considering how much promise the 2001 age group showed the last two years, they have been a huge let down so far this season.

Škarek
Dostál
Malík

Galvas Král
Šalda Kvasnička
Haš Kubíček

Zadina Pekař Jeník
Teplý Lauko Kaut
Blümel Hrabík Myšák
Plášek Štrondala Safin

joey16

Dec 27, 2010

Zadina Pekař Jeník
Teplý Lauko Kaut
Plášek Kondelík Myšák
Machala Hrabík Safin
Blumel/Pytlík/Střondala

Galvas Šalda
Král Zábranský
Kvasnička? Haš

Dostál
Škarek
Patera

Agreed. It is early and they still can easily pick it up but for sure I was expecting higher productivity from the players in CHL.
At least Simon Kubicek has started strong with 7 points in 7 games. Even though it's a small sample still, for a defensman eligible for 2020 draft it's impressive. Crossing fingers he keeps it up, we need good defensmen badly.
Btw. I know you watch players from time to time, do you have some report on Kubicek from the time he had played in Europe? In one thread I saw you metioned skating as his weakness.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Maybe Necas will be available... if we get him, Kaut and Zadina then I think we break our 12 years of no medal.

lamini

Nov 30, 2011
Prostějov
Maybe Necas will be available... if we get him, Kaut and Zadina then I think we break our 12 years of no medal.

He would help alot, but I don't think our defence is good enough and our goalies always find a way to collapse...IMO last year was our best chance.

But maybe it's just me...each year (well, almost) I thought we improved enough to medal...and I'm probably too pesimistic now

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
It stinks... we had a potentially very good U20 team but Necas and Chytil are very unlikely to go. Zadina will be 50-50 at best. Kaut might go but we'll see how he does in the AHL.

Speaking of 'it stinks'... almost no new Czechs battled onto an NHL roster in preseason... so far just Necas and Chytil...

Kaut got sent down
Chlapik got sent down
Lauko is in the Q
Moravcik/Sklenicka got sent down
Jerabek got released
Sulak/Hronek are on the buble
Zadina is on the bubble
Radil got sent down
Simek is on the bubble
Masin got sent down
Hajek got sent down
Vladar got sent down
Vanecek got sent down
Safin got sent down and traded
Vala got sent down
Zboril got sent down

I'm sure I missed a bunch but preseason was death for Czech players... I was hoping a few of these guys would've battle for an opening night spot.
To be sincere, Hajek should have made the team on merit. Unfortunately we have a Marc Staal on the team.

Also, Chytil has 2 games to shown better play, if he doesn't it's probably that he will get sent down for contract purposes, in this case I don't ser why the Rangers woundn't let him go to the WJC.

Reactions: Jablkon

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
He would help alot, but I don't think our defence is good enough and our goalies always find a way to collapse...IMO last year was our best chance.

But maybe it's just me...each year (well, almost) I thought we improved enough to medal...and I'm probably too pesimistic now

Who did we lose from last year that makes us worse? I felt that group was dominated by 18 year olds who are 19 this year. The only major loss would be Hajek and Chytil. This is assuming that Kaut, Zadina and Necas are available.

Reactions: czechcanadian

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
To be sincere, Hajek should have made the team on merit. Unfortunately we have a Marc Staal on the team.

Also, Chytil has 2 games to shown better play, if he doesn't it's probably that he will get sent down for contract purposes, in this case I don't ser why the Rangers woundn't let him go to the WJC.

D take longer to develop.. I was hoping he'd make it but wasn't upset or anything about that. It would've been a nice surprise. Hronek was pressboxed last night and Sulak is in the AHL. Just not a great start for our young Czechs.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa

I honestly believe that this year is a far better chance. I don’t see why we wouldn’t get Zadina and Kaut. And Necas is a big possibility too. You throw Safin, Pekar, Jenik, and Lauko to the mix and you’ve got a pretty darn good forward group. Maybe the best we’ve had in a very long time.
Sure the defence will be weak, but I don’t think it’s anybworse then last year. I truly believe that Kubicek and Hugo Has could be good surprises even at their young age. And Galvas is going to be really solid.
Goaltending will be fine. Dostal is fantastic. He likely gets the start over Skarek imo.
So anyways it should be fun at the very least. I see us being very competitive.
I am also pessimistic after last years breakdown especially, but overall I think we’re better this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->