WJC: Czech Republic 2019 Roster Talk

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
It stinks... we had a potentially very good U20 team but Necas and Chytil are very unlikely to go. Zadina will be 50-50 at best. Kaut might go but we'll see how he does in the AHL.

Speaking of 'it stinks'... almost no new Czechs battled onto an NHL roster in preseason... so far just Necas and Chytil...

Kaut got sent down
Chlapik got sent down
Lauko is in the Q
Moravcik/Sklenicka got sent down
Jerabek got released
Sulak/Hronek are on the buble
Zadina is on the bubble
Radil got sent down
Simek is on the bubble
Masin got sent down
Hajek got sent down
Vladar got sent down
Vanecek got sent down
Safin got sent down and traded
Vala got sent down
Zboril got sent down

I'm sure I missed a bunch but preseason was death for Czech players... I was hoping a few of these guys would've battle for an opening night spot.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
It stinks... we had a potentially very good U20 team but Necas and Chytil are very unlikely to go. Zadina will be 50-50 at best. Kaut might go but we'll see how he does in the AHL.

Speaking of 'it stinks'... almost no new Czechs battled onto an NHL roster in preseason... so far just Necas and Chytil...

Kaut got sent down
Chlapik got sent down
Lauko is in the Q
Jerabek got released
Zadina is on the bubble
Radil got sent down
Simek is on the bubble
Masin got sent down
Hajek got sent down
Vladar got sent down
Vanecek got sent down
Vala got sent down
Zboril got sent down

I'm sure I missed a bunch but preseason was death for Czech players... I was hoping a few of these guys would've battle for an opening night spot.

Those are still young players for the most part, many should see NHL time this season.

Reactions: Martin Hubner

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

Kaut got sent down
Chlapik got sent down
Lauko is in the Q
Jerabek got released
Zadina is on the bubble
Radil got sent down
Simek is on the bubble
Masin got sent down
Hajek got sent down
Vladar got sent down
Vanecek got sent down
Vala got sent down
Zboril got sent down

I forgot Svoboda and Pyrochta. Also, Zadina is now in the AHL.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Those are still young players for the most part, many should see NHL time this season.

Some of these guys NHL windows are closing fast... obviously, not worried about Zadina, Kaut, Lauko or Hajek. But Masin, Zboril and the goalies are starting to become passed over by newer drafted guys.

Also, the older d guys - Pyrochta, Sklenica, Moravcik, Jerabek and Simek don't necessarily every have to get a game in.

Svoboda was already released by one NHL team (Oilers).

So, I'm not sure how many of those 19 guys (I'm positive I missed a few) will become regular NHL players.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Some of these guys NHL windows are closing fast... obviously, not worried about Zadina, Kaut, Lauko or Hajek. But Masin, Zboril and the goalies are starting to become passed over by newer drafted guys.

Also, the older d guys - Pyrochta, Sklenica, Moravcik, Jerabek and Simek don't necessarily every have to get a game in.

Svoboda was already released by one NHL team (Oilers).

So, I'm not sure how many of those 19 guys (I'm positive I missed a few) will become regular NHL players.
The only dissapointing cuts are Zboril, Masin and Jerabek. Zboril is a borderline bust at this point, though he got injured early in the pre-season so he didn't get a fair shot. Masin has some really tough competition in Tampa. I think both will see some NHL time in the upcoming season. Jerabek probably just isn't suited for NHL, he isn't the first nor last.
The rest was always a long shot to make it right out of the camp. Chlapik and Radil will be called up soon IMO, both had good camps. Sklenicka and Pyrochta really need some time in the AHL, they are still relatively young and they didn't sign an NHL contract as some Extraliga stars (like Simek for example). Moravcik is slow, I still don't understand how he managed to get a contract.
Mentioning guys like Vala or Safin is just reaching. Did you really think they had any chance? They should fight for a spot in two years, not now. And as for Zadina, I watched a couple games and the AHL is the right league for him at this point. He could be a good PP player in the NHL already, but a year, hell maybe just a half year might do wonders to him. Wouldn't be surprised if he follows Pastrnak's route (AHL, WJC and then force a call up). It's sure better than limited minutes on dumpster fire Detroit team.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
The only dissapointing cuts are Zboril, Masin and Jerabek. Zboril is a borderline bust at this point, though he got injured early in the pre-season so he didn't get a fair shot.

Zboril is 21 and coming off his rookie AHL season common now bust is way too premature. Do you remember how long teams like Detroit used to slowcook their prospects? Defenceman take longer to develop, can't count out early the ones who display potential (e.g Thomas Hickey ) .

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
The only dissapointing cuts are Zboril, Masin and Jerabek. Zboril is a borderline bust at this point, though he got injured early in the pre-season so he didn't get a fair shot. Masin has some really tough competition in Tampa. I think both will see some NHL time in the upcoming season. Jerabek probably just isn't suited for NHL, he isn't the first nor last.
The rest was always a long shot to make it right out of the camp. Chlapik and Radil will be called up soon IMO, both had good camps. Sklenicka and Pyrochta really need some time in the AHL, they are still relatively young and they didn't sign an NHL contract as some Extraliga stars (like Simek for example). Moravcik is slow, I still don't understand how he managed to get a contract.
Mentioning guys like Vala or Safin is just reaching. Did you really think they had any chance? They should fight for a spot in two years, not now. And as for Zadina, I watched a couple games and the AHL is the right league for him at this point. He could be a good PP player in the NHL already, but a year, hell maybe just a half year might do wonders to him. Wouldn't be surprised if he follows Pastrnak's route (AHL, WJC and then force a call up). It's sure better than limited minutes on dumpster fire Detroit team.

I forgot David Kase as well. I'm sure there are still more. Oh yeah, our starting National Team Goalie Pavel Francouz also went down. Mazanec as well. Korenar, Jenik..

My point wasn't that all 19 guys should make the NHL on Wednesday. It was that absolutely no one surprised and cracked the opening night rosters. Guys that were close, IMO, were Zadina, Chlapik, Radil, Jerabek (now in St. Louis) and Kaut. I thought Masin (who is one of my favourites) had a chance when the Tampa D showed up fat and got released but it still didn't help. Same with Zboril. Might not be a bust but 3 years out and the guys drafted after him in the draft by Boston are regulars now. D take longer but they have a few D that are younger than him too.

It's also scary, to me, that guys that are members of our National Team can't crack the NHL - Simek, Jerabek, Francouz and Kaut. We still don't know where Hronek and Sulak end up. I can't see both of them playing though.

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
I forgot David Kase as well. I'm sure there are still more. Oh yeah, our starting National Team Goalie Pavel Francouz also went down. Mazanec as well. Korenar, Jenik...
Kase had injury problems, didn't even get a single pre-season game. When you mention guys like Korenar and Jenik, might as well list Pekar, Galvas, Kral, Salda... come on.
It's also scary, to me, that guys that are members of our National Team can't crack the NHL - Simek, Jerabek, Francouz and Kaut. We still don't know where Hronek and Sulak end up. I can't see both of them playing though.
Why is it scary? Czech defense core is awful, Kaut is young (in fact I consider it positive he managed to stay up for so long). Francouz simply chose bad team. He had a strong camp and honestly, I don't think he would have made the team even had ended posting two shutouts in the pre-season. Francouz is probably better goalie than Mrazek, who will have a chance to battle with Darling for the starter position.
Spacek sent down...
Spacek got injured in his only pre-season game I believe. I doubt he would have made it had he been healthy, Winnipeg is a really deep team, though just like David Kase or Jakub Zboril he didn't even get the chance to try because of the injury.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Kase had injury problems, didn't even get a single pre-season game. When you mention guys like Korenar and Jenik, might as well list Pekar, Galvas, Kral, Salda... come on.

Why is it scary? Czech defense core is awful, Kaut is young (in fact I consider it positive he managed to stay up for so long). Francouz simply chose bad team. He had a strong camp and honestly, I don't think he would have made the team even had ended posting two shutouts in the pre-season. Francouz is probably better goalie than Mrazek, who will have a chance to battle with Darling for the starter position.

Spacek got injured in his only pre-season game I believe. I doubt he would have made it had he been healthy, Winnipeg is a really deep team, though just like David Kase or Jakub Zboril he didn't even get the chance to try because of the injury.

It's scary because our National Team used to have a huge supply of NHL calibre players and, now, some of our best ones are AHLers.

Sounds like Mrazek lost out to Darling as well.

This might be the least Czech NHL players in history and we have a lot of massive holes:

No NHL starting goalie
No Top 100 D man in the NHL and I'm not even sure if we have 6 legit Top 4 D in the entire NHL? Gudas, Polak, Kempny, Sustr... then maybe Simek, Hronek and Sulak.. then maybe Jerabek. That is one empty cupboard.
Our forwards have some hope (Chytil, Necas, Vrana, Pastrnak, Zacha, Kaut, Zadina) but we're getting thin there and we don't have many elite centres. We basically have really good wingers followed by bottom pairing Dmen and AHL goalies. That is why it is scary.

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
It's scary because our National Team used to have a huge supply of NHL calibre players and, now, some of our best ones are AHLers.

Sounds like Mrazek lost out to Darling as well.

This might be the least Czech NHL players in history and we have a lot of massive holes:

No NHL starting goalie
No Top 100 D man in the NHL and I'm not even sure if we have 6 legit Top 4 D in the entire NHL? Gudas, Polak, Kempny, Sustr... then maybe Simek, Hronek and Sulak.. then maybe Jerabek. That is one empty cupboard.
Our forwards have some hope (Chytil, Necas, Vrana, Pastrnak, Zacha, Kaut, Zadina) but we're getting thin there and we don't have many elite centres. We basically have really good wingers followed by bottom pairing Dmen and AHL goalies. That is why it is scary.
Key word is "used to". National junior teams with guys like Sustr, Gudas, Jerabek, Palat or Kovar were getting destroyed at every major junior tournament, I think it's pretty good we still managed to get some NHLers out of those generations. The current situation in the NHL was inevitable. Old generations are finishing off their careers, young ones are just getting started.
And as for your question regarding top 4 defensemen, we have barely one in Kempny. Gudas is a quality bottom pairing defenseman and Sustr with Polak are 7th defensmen on majority of the teams.

lamini

Nov 30, 2011
Prostějov
Well, Rutta is also atleast bottom pairing guy...but the lack of good defenders is not something new this season. Our last true PMD was probably Židlicky. D is in my opinion position that suffers most when the development system is weak and it'll take us some time till we start producing good defenders again (if ever)
Concerning goalies I had high hopes for Mrázek, but each season he seems worse than in the previous one...maybe Vladař will be our next starting goalie?

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Well, Rutta is also atleast bottom pairing guy...but the lack of good defenders is not something new this season. Our last true PMD was probably Židlicky. D is in my opinion position that suffers most when the development system is weak and it'll take us some time till we start producing good defenders again (if ever)
Concerning goalies I had high hopes for Mrázek, but each season he seems worse than in the previous one...maybe Vladař will be our next starting goalie?

I knew I forgot someone... Rutta! But, yeah, 5/6 guy on most good teams.

I feel like we also have about a dozen goalies drafted into the NHL.. but none of them are close to the NHL... Vladar, Vanecek, Mazanec, Svoboda, Korenar, Dostal, Skarek, Kloucek... I'm positive I'm missing at least 5 more guys that are on their 3 year ELC's. Then add in Francouz, always injured Neuvirth, retired Pavelec, Mrazek... it's not looking like next year will have a bonafide starter in the NHL either.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Key word is "used to". National junior teams with guys like Sustr, Gudas, Jerabek, Palat or Kovar were getting destroyed at every major junior tournament, I think it's pretty good we still managed to get some NHLers out of those generations. The current situation in the NHL was inevitable. Old generations are finishing off their careers, young ones are just getting started.
And as for your question regarding top 4 defensemen, we have barely one in Kempny. Gudas is a quality bottom pairing defenseman and Sustr with Polak are 7th defensmen on majority of the teams.

I don't think we have enough young ones either... as mentioned no elite D coming up and no starting goalies for at least a few years (if ever for that group). It's scary how badly we've fallen off.

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
I knew I forgot someone... Rutta! But, yeah, 5/6 guy on most good teams.

I feel like we also have about a dozen goalies drafted into the NHL.. but none of them are close to the NHL... Vladar, Vanecek, Mazanec, Svoboda, Korenar, Dostal, Skarek, Kloucek... I'm positive I'm missing at least 5 more guys that are on their 3 year ELC's. Then add in Francouz, always injured Neuvirth, retired Pavelec, Mrazek... it's not looking like next year will have a bonafide starter in the NHL either.
Most of these guys are very young. Vladar has been excellent at the Boston camp and should get a chance to be the starter in the AHL. I have high hopes for Dostal as well.
And when was the last time we had a bonafide starter in the NHL anyway? Vokoun? Pavelec might have been one for a couple years, however he was always more of a back-up quality wise. Mrazek had his moments, but he would always struggle and lose his hard-fought position in Detroit. Thinking about, I would say the only two legit starters we have had in the NHL were Hasek and Vokoun. So it's not like we used to be some goalie factory... (although I know Czech media love to call as one)

I don't think we have enough young ones either... as mentioned no elite D coming up and no starting goalies for at least a few years (if ever for that group). It's scary how badly we've fallen off.
Hajek and Hronek have the potential to be our best defensemen since Zidlicky. Relying on two guys panning out is sad though, I agree. Then I would mention Galvas and Has, but that's about it. You mentioned we produce good wingers, worse centers and even worse defensemen. That should come as no surprise, wingers are the easiest to produce. Russia had similiar problem not so long ago, producing world-class wingers but next to none defensemen and centres.
I would argue centre-wise we finally have some potential in Necas, Chytil and up-and-coming Mysak, but very little on the D unfortunately.

Martin Hubner

Sep 6, 2018
Krnov
Most of these guys are very young. Vladar has been excellent at the Boston camp and should get a chance to be the starter in the AHL. I have high hopes for Dostal as well.
And when was the last time we had a bonafide starter in the NHL anyway? Vokoun? Pavelec might have been one for a couple years, however he was always more of a back-up quality wise. Mrazek had his moments, but he would always struggle and lose his hard-fought position in Detroit. Thinking about, I would say the only two legit starters we have had in the NHL were Hasek and Vokoun. So it's not like we used to be some goalie factory... (although I know Czech media love to call as one)

Hajek and Hronek have the potential to be our best defensemen since Zidlicky. Relying on two guys panning out is sad though, I agree. Then I would mention Galvas and Has, but that's about it. You mentioned we produce good wingers, worse centers and even worse defensemen. That should come as no surprise, wingers are the easiest to produce. Russia had similiar problem not so long ago, producing world-class wingers but next to none defensemen and centres.
I would argue centre-wise we finally have some potential in Necas, Chytil and up-and-coming Mysak, but very little on the D unfortunately.
Defensman Šimon Kubiček looks promising.

Martin Hubner

Sep 6, 2018
Krnov
More dynamic version of Libor Zabransky. Modern offensive defensemen need to be great skaters and both of those are average skaters at best.
I didnt see hin a lot, so cant really tell, but he still can work on that.

btw... Pytlik playing today against Zlin on the 2nd line.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Give your top young talent chances to play in your top pro league like Finland is doing with their prospects, Simontaival, Lundell etc. I guarantee results will be seen if this was happening more.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Francouz looked solid - he came to the Avs knowing we had two guys with NHL starting experience ahead of him and was ok spending some time to adjust in the AHL. Just because a player is sent to the minors at the beginning of the year in the NHL is not a death sentence on their season or does not mean they aren't more qualified than many players - some even on their own team who for various contractual reasons will not be sent to the minors. Francouz is betting on himself and willing to be patient - he's not that old for a goalie and Varlamov's contract is up after the season. If he performs well in the AHL, he's not only going to get looks in the NHL this year, he's going to earn a lot of admirers by next season - who will see a guy in his prime with tons of international experience and who put in the work to make a name for himself in North America over the 18-19 season. Honestly, it may be a quicker path to starting NHL job opportunity to do great in the AHL as a big starter in one adjustment year than play 20 games as a backup in the NHL.

Mentioning Kaut as a disappointment is hysterical...he defeinitely looks like he has the tools he is a teenager and was just drafted and he needs to work on his physique and strength to be an impact player. Again, as an Avs fan, I'd rather have him getting top 6 quality ice time, adjusting to North America and putting on muscle in the AHL than spending 7 minutes a night playing with scrubs on the 4th line for the Avalanche. I don't think he's going o ever be a star or anything but he definitely looks like a kid who could be a really solid top 6 player in the NHL someday and he plays a smart enough two-way game that it could be not that distant once he adds strength.

Reactions: Jablkon

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Francouz looked solid - he came to the Avs knowing we had two guys with NHL starting experience ahead of him and was ok spending some time to adjust in the AHL. Just because a player is sent to the minors at the beginning of the year in the NHL is not a death sentence on their season or does not mean they aren't more qualified than many players - some even on their own team who for various contractual reasons will not be sent to the minors. Francouz is betting on himself and willing to be patient - he's not that old for a goalie and Varlamov's contract is up after the season. If he performs well in the AHL, he's not only going to get looks in the NHL this year, he's going to earn a lot of admirers by next season - who will see a guy in his prime with tons of international experience and who put in the work to make a name for himself in North America over the 18-19 season. Honestly, it may be a quicker path to starting NHL job opportunity to do great in the AHL as a big starter in one adjustment year than play 20 games as a backup in the NHL.

Mentioning Kaut as a disappointment is hysterical...he defeinitely looks like he has the tools he is a teenager and was just drafted and he needs to work on his physique and strength to be an impact player. Again, as an Avs fan, I'd rather have him getting top 6 quality ice time, adjusting to North America and putting on muscle in the AHL than spending 7 minutes a night playing with scrubs on the 4th line for the Avalanche. I don't think he's going o ever be a star or anything but he definitely looks like a kid who could be a really solid top 6 player in the NHL someday and he plays a smart enough two-way game that it could be not that distant once he adds strength.

Who said Kaut was a disapointment?

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

Around 2002 or so.lol

2002‑2003 NHL Goalie Stats

We had Cechmanek and Vokoun in the Top 11 as well as Turek floating around.

In 2001 we had Hasek, Cechmanek, Hniclicka, Turek all start 40 or more games. Also, a young Vokoun coming in with 29 himself.

It was pretty solid for awhile then the next gen of Pavelec and Neuvirth were coming in.. neither worked out as a hall of famer unfortunately. Mrazek came in and I was POSITIVE he was the next big thing ala John Gibson. However, he is now a backup in Carolina and they just picked up Pickard on waivers.

Onto the next wave... I think we have a few years till we have a legit NHL starting goalie though...

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
The only bad thing about Kaut is that he chose to move to the AHL. I don't know in whose mind playing 70 games per year with relentless travel in-between is a great idea. But I guess Chytil went that way, Zadina is going this way, etc., so we will see.

Regarding goalies, this drop was rather natural, with development in goalie technique both Russian, Czech and Slovak goalies were left behind quite a bit. Russians evidently have figured it out with Vasilevsky, Samsonov, Shestyorkin and Samsonov (3 off whom aren't in the NHL yet either), it's only the matter of time when Czechs do as well. Skarek, for example, looks great for a guy who is yet to turn 19 so far this season. On Slovak side, they had 2 goalies drafted this year after a very, very long time. In what seems like forever.

So in a few years things should pick up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad