Czech Republic: Czech prospects thread

WhoIsGuyIncognito

Mar 22, 2011
Prague, Czech
What is it with almost all czech prospects not being able to skate properly? I mean, come on, this is something every guy who wants to become a hockey player should be able to do very well. Even before he is given a hockey stick perhaps. Is it cos we don't teach them properly? Or that we simply don't see it as an important part of the players development as a hockey player? It's frustrating cos it just seems like such a stupid thing to not be able to do properly or teach.........

Almost no Coaches in czech republic teach skating. They will let kids skate drills over and over but if they see bad habits, they dont try to correct them, they will just make them skate more drills and hope that kids somehow pick it up by themselves, and this is the worst part, if the players is unable to learn the proper stride like that, they see it as a players failure, not theirs.
Also not teached by coaches are slapshots- in juniors and even in extraliga you see great percentage of players with a bad form of slapshot- for example: great numbers of players hold the stick wrong by their upper hand (creates bad angle for a shot), bad form of swing (I know it doesnt seem like a big deal but sometimes its just brutal), cant shoot through the blocking defender ( If you talk to players from czech junior leagues who just faced their first international competition they are in shock that they cant get a shot on goal against players that are in proper shot-blocking position(which is also not teached at all in czech rep) - thats why you see defenders shooting so many wrist shots from the blue line in int. tournaments, they dont have enough confidence in their slapshot to try to shoot. Once again coaches see players shoot badly every day and mostly do nothing about it.

As a product of czech youth system I can go on and on about wrong system of developing players in czech rep, so if somebody has some question about it, feel free to ask.

joey16

Dec 27, 2010
Many things will hapeen within next 12 months but right now it looks like another solid year for Czechs.
On the other hands, 2013 looks extremely weak with hardly any NHL prospects.

Can I ask you.. what do you think about draft 2014? There are plenty of good players aren´t there? Kotala, Vrana, Pastrnak, Rimmel, Mandat..

Czechexpert

Jan 23, 2009
Can I ask you.. what do you think about draft 2014? There are plenty of good players aren´t there? Kotala, Vrana, Pastrnak, Rimmel, Mandat..

I have only seen Rimmel and Mandat so far, too young. But Vrana and Pastrnak are top Czech prospect for 2014 and looks like NHL prospect(I was told).

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
tbh I expected Pribyl to get picked too and to go over next season. I fully understand CSLH concerns about leaving for CHL, but it'd be probably better for him right now. Who knows if he gets enough IT in Sparta. I'm not sure which of those picked guys have 2012 as their draft year. Can somebody point it out? Thx.

Czechexpert

Jan 23, 2009
tbh I expected Pribyl to get picked too and to go over next season. I fully understand CSLH concerns about leaving for CHL, but it'd be probably better for him right now. Who knows if he gets enough IT in Sparta. I'm not sure which of those picked guys have 2012 as their draft year. Can somebody point it out? Thx.

Faksa, Machac, Plutnar, Sidlik, Volek, Beran.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
Chl 11/12

Table for the next season. Going to be updated as the players will join/leave and be traded.

OHL skaters
Name | Position | Club | GP | G | A | PTS | +/- | PIM | YoB
Petr Beránek|RW|Kingston Frontenacs|64|12|23|35|-11|18|1993
Milan Doudera|D|Niagara IceDogs|45|2|9|11|+12|34|1993
Radek Faksa|C|Kitchener Rangers|62|29|38|67|+19|47|1994
Patrik Machač|C|Brampton Battalion|61|14|18|32|0|26|1994

QMJHL skaters
Matěj Beran|C|PEI Rocket|68|22|39|61|-17|68|1993
Jakub Culek|LW|Rimouski Océanic|55|13|27|40|+3|58|1992
Tomáš Filippi|C|Baie-Comeau Drakkar|60|19|34|53|-2|48|1992
Martin Frk|RW|Halifax Mooseheads|34|16|13|29|-9|41|1993
Tomáš Hyka|RW|Gatineau Olympiques|50|20|44|64|+14|30|1993
Denis Kindl|C|Cape Breton Screaming Eagles|62|18|20|38|-17|26|1992
Tomáš Pavelka|D|PEI Rocket|67|6|18|24|-45|44|1993
Lukáš Sedlák|C|Chicoutimi Saguenéens|50|17|28|45|+24|57|1993
Petr Straka|RW|Rimouski Océanic|54|18|19|37|-9|41|1992
Petr Šidlík|D|Victoriaville Tigres|64|2|16|18|+31|45|1994

WHL skaters
Marek Hrbas|D|Kamloops Blazers|67|1|24|25|+13|12|1993
Marek Kalus|LW|Spokane Chiefs|68|20|22|42|+7|38|1993
Lukáš Králík|RW|Victoria Royals|42|2|4|6|-13|35|1993
David Musil|D|Vancouver Giants|59|6|21|27|+9|104|1993
Richard Nedomlel|D|Swift Current Broncos|72|10|36|46|-35|83|1993
Michal Plutnar|D|Tri-City Americans|62|4|9|13|+5|63|1994
Robin Soudek|RW|Victoria Royals|65|27|30|57|-31|114|1991
Matěj Stránský|RW|Saskatoon Blades|70|39|42|81|+6|75|1993
Dominik Uher|C|Spokane Chiefs|63|33|35|68|+29|60|1992
Dominik Volek|LW|Regina Pats|70|14|18|32|0|32|1994

All goalies
Name | Club | GP | Wins | GA | Shutouts | Avg. | % | YoB
Patrik BartošÃ¡k|Red Deer Rebels|25|14|67|1|2.74|.915|1993
Tadeáš Galanský|Saginaw Spirit|17|6|63|1|4.40|.876|1992
David Honzík|Victoriaville Tigres|43|22|132|3|3.49|.885|1993
Matěj Machovský|Brampton Battalion|42|24|95|5|2.36|.902|1993
Petr Mrázek|Ottawa 67's|50|30|143|3|2.84|.917|1992
Jaroslav Pavelka|Niagara IceDogs/Windsor Spitfires|41|13|131|3|3.75|.897|1993
Roman Will|Moncton Wildcats|63|29|166|1|2.77|.913|1992

No longer on team
Adam Řehák|LW|Medicine Hat Tigers|16|2|2|4|+2|38|1992

Last edited:

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
I'm looking for some information on Patrik Machac, Radek Faksa and Jaroslav Pavelka for an Import Draft Review on the OHL.

If anyone can provide me with a scouting report/what to expect out of them, I'll use it as a quote in the article and attach your name (unless you prefer to remain anonymous).

Send me a PM if you can help.

Thanks,
Brock

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
At this years WJC the Czech's could have 12 drafted players suit up for the team (+Frk). Assuming that all these guys make the team, who will be the other players that you think will make it? I have an idea who a couple might be, but who else will be there.

Mrazek (if he can play)
Honzik
Machovsky/Galansky

Musil-Jank
Nedomlel-Hrbas
_____-_____
_____

Jaskin-Pribyl-Frk
Culek-Uher-Straka
Stransky-Sedlak-Placek
_____-Filippi-_____
_____

I could be completely off, but I haven't seen some of these guys play. What do you think?

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
Stats updating is on again (post 83). I think there is very strong group of players in CHL this time and it should be fun to follow them.

Bojovnik

Feb 11, 2007
England
What do you guys think of Slavia junior Tomas Hertl? I've been following him over the past couple of seasons whilst he played for the Under-20's, and now he's playing for the Extraliga side, and got 1+2 against Mlada Boleslav last night.

If he keeps this up, he must have a sniff of getting a spot in the Under-20 side for the championships in December?

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
Hyka's goal in yesterday PHI's game:

What do you guys think of Slavia junior Tomas Hertl? I've been following him over the past couple of seasons whilst he played for the Under-20's, and now he's playing for the Extraliga side, and got 1+2 against Mlada Boleslav last night.

If he keeps this up, he must have a sniff of getting a spot in the Under-20 side for the championships in December?

No doubt he would be there if he continued to play like this. We'll see what happens.

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010

I'm pretty sure he'll be there (unless he gets injured), he's doing well at the moment and if he keeps it up he'll be a lock. Similarly if Hyka keeps impressing as he does I reckon he'll be a lock to make the team too. Not relevant to the U-20 WJC this year, but Honejsek for me has looked pretty good too (1+1 so far if I remember correctly)- I'm really liking this new influx of young talent in the Extraliga, IMO the young players (18-22 or so) seem more visible on teams this year than last year (i.e. seem to have more ice-time/more important roles). What do people think?

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
Hyka's goal in yesterday PHI's game:

No doubt he would be there if he continued to play like this. We'll see what happens.

Nice goal, good cheeky celebration too. I like his confidence.

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
At this years WJC the Czech's could have 12 drafted players suit up for the team (+Frk). Assuming that all these guys make the team, who will be the other players that you think will make it? I have an idea who a couple might be, but who else will be there.

Mrazek (if he can play)
Honzik
Machovsky/Galansky

Musil-Jank
Nedomlel-Hrbas
_____-_____
_____

Jaskin-Pribyl-Frk
Culek-Uher-Straka
Stransky-Sedlak-Placek
_____-Filippi-_____
_____

I could be completely off, but I haven't seen some of these guys play. What do you think?

Doesn't look too bad. Add Hertl, Hyka (Holik?) to the forwards. Not sure about D-men not familiar with any others other than those you have down there (Sidlik, Jenik perhaps?).

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
Holik is going to be in WJC squad for sure. He would probably captain the team also. Dman Zamorsky started the season with Zlin's A team. If he keeps that spot until WJC, He's got solid chance too. Another Extraliga players with high chance of making the team - Jaskin, Vachovec, Pribyl. Hertl if he keeps impressing. Besides these there are some players in Finland who might have chance too, I don't know much about them. And also there are Jank and Sekáč of HC Lev. They play little minutes in KHL, but just training with KHL club is great for them. I think they have big chance too. That's probably all I see in Europe that is useful for WJC team. That's about 8-10 players.

Eyelanders

Jan 9, 2011
Besides these there are some players in Finland who might have chance too, I don't know much about them.
Do the potential players who play in Finland include David Dvoracek? I´m maybe going to watch this week one Jr. A game where he will probably play. I´ve never seen him playing, but he sounds like a pretty interesting prospect. He has so far in 3 games 0+1 points in that league, which I found from Eliteprospects.

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
Do the potential players who play in Finland include David Dvoracek? I´m maybe going to watch this week one Jr. A game where he will probably play. I´ve never seen him playing, but he sounds like a pretty interesting prospect. He has so far in 3 games 0+1 points in that league, which I found from Eliteprospects.

Yes, I would think so. Both Dvoracek and Stach (Lukko Rauma) played in the friendly games versus Russia last month, so I think they could potentially make the squad.

Czechexpert

Jan 23, 2009

Mrazek (if he can play)
Honzik
Machovsky/Galansky

Musil-Jank
Nedomlel-Hrbas
_____-_____
_____

Jaskin-Pribyl-Frk
Culek-Uher-Straka
Stransky-Sedlak-Placek
_____-Filippi-_____
_____

Stransky, Nedomlel and Placek won´t be on team, never played for Czech U-18 and U-20, haven´t attended summer camps etc. Uher looked very unimpressive in summer. Plus Stransky is in same position as Mrazek. He refused to sign contract in Vitkovice and his father who was long-time coach there was fired...
Vachovec has good chance to make the team, coaches like his work ethic, size. Stone hands, stone legs but they like him...
Holik is lock. Still think Tomas Nosek could make the team, he was one of the best forwards against Russia in Chomutov. But needs to play men competition when he is back from injury. Small, skilled, creative center Tomas Rubes could make it.
D Filip Pavlik will probably make the team.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
Stransky, Nedomlel and Placek won´t be on team, never played for Czech U-18 and U-20, haven´t attended summer camps etc. Uher looked very unimpressive in summer. Plus Stransky is in same position as Mrazek. He refused to sign contract in Vitkovice and his father who was long-time coach there was fired...
Vachovec has good chance to make the team, coaches like his work ethic, size. Stone hands, stone legs but they like him...
Holik is lock. Still think Tomas Nosek could make the team, he was one of the best forwards against Russia in Chomutov. But needs to play men competition when he is back from injury. Small, skilled, creative center Tomas Rubes could make it.
D Filip Pavlik will probably make the team.

How would look your defense, if you could pick 7 names? Thanks ;)

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
That talented Australian kid Nathan Walker (17) got an primary assist today in his first Extraliga game for Vitkovice. Does anyone know if he is still eligible to play for the Czech Republic? I'm asking because I heard that he was, but then he played for the senior Australian side at the Division II World Championships. Does this make him ineligible for the Czech national team?

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
That talented Australian kid Nathan Walker (17) got an primary assist today in his first Extraliga game for Vitkovice. Does anyone know if he is still eligible to play for the Czech Republic? I'm asking because I heard that he was, but then he played for the senior Australian side at the Division II World Championships. Does this make him ineligible for the Czech national team?

I think so. Too bad, he's really good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad