Czech Republic: Czech prospects thread

Rexor

Oct 24, 2006
Brno

I'm a big Svozil fan but this article is taking it a bit too far. It makes it look as if some of the very highlights of his Extraliga play were in fact a regular, everyday trait of his game, which they're not. The potential is very obvious in his case but at the professional level, he's still more about the potential (a great play here and there) rather than a consistent output. He's far from a go-to defenseman on his professional team, and his game still needs a ton of work. He definitely needs to get more explosive in his first two steps, and he's generally much better with the puck than he's without it.

I don't think he's been playing particularly well this season anyway. But it's hard to read too much into it given the Covid-chaos that Czech hockey has been going through.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
I'm a big Svozil fan but this article is taking it a bit too far. It makes it look as if some of the very highlights of his Extraliga play were in fact a regular, everyday trait of his game, which they're not. The potential is very obvious in his case but at the professional level, he's still more about the potential (a great play here and there) rather than a consistent output. He's far from a go-to defenseman on his professional team, and his game still needs a ton of work. He definitely needs to get more explosive in his first two steps, and he's generally much better with the puck than he's without it.

I don't think he's been playing particularly well this season anyway. But it's hard to read too much into it given the Covid-chaos that Czech hockey has been going through.

Thanks. Without seeing the player, one is dependent on write-ups like the one I've posted, so it's great to get imput from people who actually watch him more regularly.

Rexor

Oct 24, 2006
Brno
Thanks. Without seeing the player, one is dependent on write-ups like the one I've posted, so it's great to get imput from people who actually watch him more regularly.

It's not a bad article by any means but it's more like it's describing a player that Svozil could become two or three years from now if everything goes well, rather than the current version of Svozil.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
It's not a bad article by any means but it's more like it's describing a player that Svozil could become two or three years from now if everything goes well, rather than the current version of Svozil.
Name all the great first round Czechs on D in the last decade?

I hope it's true but we talked this way about Martin Has too! He might become a great NHL player but he ended up in round 3 or 4. I've seen some projected lists that don't even mention Svozil and I don't think he got the A grade on the futures list. 0 points in 10 games as well. I personally love the guy and am cheering heavily and we'll see what happens in Edmonton. I think we'll have a better idea after that... will he be a consensus first rounder? Eg. half the reports had Mysak as a first rounder and went in round 2. Far from a sure thing right now. I'd say it's a sure thing he gets drafted.

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
Wonder if someone has information on Buffalo draft pick Jakub Konecny?

He's not on the roster for the Czech Republic at the WJC but seems to be scoring at a point-per-game pace in both the Czech second league and in the Czech junior league.

How is his game developing?

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Central Scouting names Svozil as projecting to a first-round pick.

I counted 15 other Czech prospects named as potential 4th to 6th round picks (please correct me if I missed one):

Ondřej Baláž
Martin Böhm
Marek Chvátal
Patrik Fajmon
Oskar Haas
Patrik Hamrla
Maros Jedlicka
Michal Klimo
Jakub Kos
Michal Koštoval
Vladimír Kremláček
Jan Krupička
David Špaček
Tomáš Suchánek
Jiří Ticháček

Full list: https://cms.nhl.bamgrid.com/images/assets/binary/320582316/binary-file/file.pdf

Reactions: Rexor and Czechboy

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
8.png
Theodor Pistek (RW/LW)
Kristianstads IK153470.4744
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

flying under the rader...

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I know he's been mentioned back in his CHL/pre-draft days in this thread but is there anyone out there who has spent much time watching Jiri Smejkal now of Oskarshamn in the SHL? Is he on par with or a slice below someone like Radim Zohorna?

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I know he's been mentioned back in his CHL/pre-draft days in this thread but is there anyone out there who has spent much time watching Jiri Smejkal now of Oskarshamn in the SHL? Is he on par with or a slice below someone like Radim Zohorna?
He is very similar to this group of giant Czechs .. Klapka, Zohorna, Smejkal, Kondelik. Klapka is very raw. Zohornia is an excellent all around player but can't seem to crack NHL. Kondelik is raw. Smejkal is a stud in Europe and on the National Team... I think if he came over he'd be a very good bottom 6 NHLer IF he could get on a roster.

Put another way - their upside is to become Radek Faksa in the NHL. At least to me.

Specifically, Smejkal is a bid dude with a big motor who skates and skates and plays a responsible game. Lot of his goals are from the 'paint'.

Reactions: Chainshot

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

This agred tremendously well... most these guys were a big part of the Silver at the U20. Great generation. Spacek as an honorable mention is cool too as he developed into one of the best D in the tourney. Suchanek ended up being the starter. Svozil was the captain. Nice group and I think a few NHLer's and I think most will play hockey till at least 30 in Europe. One of our best generations in last decade!

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He is very similar to this group of giant Czechs .. Klapka, Zohorna, Smejkal, Kondelik. Klapka is very raw. Zohornia is an excellent all around player but can't seem to crack NHL. Kondelik is raw. Smejkal is a stud in Europe and on the National Team... I think if he came over he'd be a very good bottom 6 NHLer IF he could get on a roster.

Put another way - their upside is to become Radek Faksa in the NHL. At least to me.

Specifically, Smejkal is a bid dude with a big motor who skates and skates and plays a responsible game. Lot of his goals are from the 'paint'.

Thanks! Appreciate the feedback.

I went looking for Smejkal for the first time this week and took in part of an IKO game - I was pleasantly surprised by his skating. I guess I was thinking he would look like he was lumbering, but he was capable enough to get out on a 2-on-1 (the puck carrier finished it, I don't think it was one of Suomela's goals but I will admit I wasn't giving it 100% attention) and on the rush.

With Buffalo trying to build a little enclave of Czechs with Rousek and now Kulich and potentially Konecny, I was thinking out loud about a big-body type since the grinder size they have at the NHL level is long in the tooth and they don't have much size or grind coming up.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Thanks! Appreciate the feedback.

I went looking for Smejkal for the first time this week and took in part of an IKO game - I was pleasantly surprised by his skating. I guess I was thinking he would look like he was lumbering, but he was capable enough to get out on a 2-on-1 (the puck carrier finished it, I don't think it was one of Suomela's goals but I will admit I wasn't giving it 100% attention) and on the rush.

With Buffalo trying to build a little enclave of Czechs with Rousek and now Kulich and potentially Konecny, I was thinking out loud about a big-body type since the grinder size they have at the NHL level is long in the tooth and they don't have much size or grind coming up.
He'd fit that description on several NHL clubs. But, his physical game doesn't include punching and big hits. Sometimes, NHL clubs love the 'coke machine' type dudes and he won't fill that role. But if a smart team is looking for a smart big player who never gives up.. this is a great guy to look into.

Still hoping to see Rousek in Buffalo but you guys are on a nice playoff pitch and Detroit is picking it up! Going to be interesting!

And I know I keep saying this, but I think you'll love Konecny. Not sure if he ever makes the NHL but he's a fun player to watch and a lot of Czechs are late bloomers.

Reactions: Chainshot

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Does anyone here have a top 10 or so list of Czech 06 prospects? There are quite a few interesting players in that age group, would love to see a ranked list from someone who's watched these kids a lot.

czech

Feb 23, 2009
Does anyone here have a top 10 or so list of Czech 06 prospects? There are quite a few interesting players in that age group, would love to see a ranked list from someone who's watched these kids a lot.
Adam Jiříček (1 round, 2024 draft)
Tomáš Galvas (1, 2024)
Jan Skok (2, 2025)
Jakub Milota (2, 2024)
Martin Vaculík (2, 2025)
Adam Jecho (2, 2024)
David Svozil (3, 2024)
Adam Titlbach (3, 2024)
Samuel Drančák (4, 2024)
Lukas Fischer (4, 2024)
Nikolas Mařík (5, 2024)
Jakub Fibigr (5, 2024)
Ondřej Kos (6, 2024)
Lukáš Král (7, 2024)
Oskar Lisler (7, 2024)
Vasyl Špilka (7, 2024)
Matyáš Humeník (7, 2025)
Adam Ošmera (2024 eligible)
Jiří Klíma (2024)
Aleš Zielinski (2024)
Patrik Král (2024)
Martin Švec (2025)
Jakub Jón (2024)
Sebastian Glas (2025)
Matěj Kubiesa (2024)
Lukáš Vilém (2024)

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Tomáš Galvas (1, 2024)
Jan Skok (2, 2025)
Jakub Milota (2, 2024)
Martin Vaculík (2, 2025)
Adam Jecho (2, 2024)
David Svozil (3, 2024)
Adam Titlbach (3, 2024)
Samuel Drančák (4, 2024)
Lukas Fischer (4, 2024)
Nikolas Mařík (5, 2024)
Jakub Fibigr (5, 2024)
Ondřej Kos (6, 2024)
Lukáš Král (7, 2024)
Oskar Lisler (7, 2024)
Vasyl Špilka (7, 2024)
Matyáš Humeník (7, 2025)
Jiří Klíma (2024)
Aleš Zielinski (2024)
Patrik Král (2024)
Martin Švec (2025)
Jakub Jón (2024)
Sebastian Glas (2025)
Matěj Kubiesa (2024)
Lukáš Vilém (2024)
Interesting, thank you. Really appreciate it. Tons of names I didn’t know yet and of the ones I do know I think I would’ve had a completely different order. Will definitely keep an eye on these guys.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Tomáš Galvas (1, 2024)
Jan Skok (2, 2025)
Jakub Milota (2, 2024)
Martin Vaculík (2, 2025)
Adam Jecho (2, 2024)
David Svozil (3, 2024)
Adam Titlbach (3, 2024)
Samuel Drančák (4, 2024)
Lukas Fischer (4, 2024)
Nikolas Mařík (5, 2024)
Jakub Fibigr (5, 2024)
Ondřej Kos (6, 2024)
Lukáš Král (7, 2024)
Oskar Lisler (7, 2024)
Vasyl Špilka (7, 2024)
Matyáš Humeník (7, 2025)
Jiří Klíma (2024)
Aleš Zielinski (2024)
Patrik Král (2024)
Martin Švec (2025)
Jakub Jón (2024)
Sebastian Glas (2025)
Matěj Kubiesa (2024)
Lukáš Vilém (2024)
Yeah I don't know about that man, Skok, Milota, Vaculik all 2nd round talents? In what world.

I appreciate your posts, because you clearly watch the players you mention, but this is just silly.

Reactions: pgfan66

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Thoughts on Badinka, Galvas, Jecho, Jiricek and Titlbach for 2024?
For me... In order

Jiricek, badinka, galvas, jecho and titlbach. I could see the 3D pushing for round 1... However.. I'd fall of my chair of 3 Czech d went in round 1 in the same draft.lol. So it is safe to assume that, of those 5, one will go in round 1 and one won't be drafted at all.lol

Reactions: MasterMatt25

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Thoughts on Badinka, Galvas, Jecho, Jiricek and Titlbach for 2024?
For me it's probably Jiricek, Galvas, Jecho, Badinka, Titlbach. But I'll throw in Svozil and Fibigr for the top D group and probably have Kos and Kral ahead of Titlbach for the forwards. I like Lisler and Drancak quite a bit too.

Reactions: Czechboy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->