Czech Republic: Czech prospects thread

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Is there any chance that Nedomlel get's drafted this year? I've never seen him play, but he seems like a big, tough, stay-at-home defenseman who could be worth taking a late round flier on. How does he skate? He didn't score a goal this year so I'm assuming he doesn't have very good offensive skills. What can you guys tell me about this kid? He's huge!

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Since the season is basically over and the draft is coming up, I've been thinking about which Czech players will be drafted this year. IMO this is the strongest group of Czech's in recent years and will probably have quite a few guys drafted.

1st/2nd Round:
Musil
Jaskin
Hoznik

3rd-5th Rounds:
Machovsky
Hrbas
Stransky
Uher
Pribyl

6th/7th Rounds:
Hyka
Nedomlel (haven't seen him play, but I'm going by his size)
Galansky

Last edited:

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
Since the season is basically over and the draft is coming up, I've been thinking about which Czech players will be drafted this year. IMO this is the strongest group of Czech's in recent years and will probably have quite a few guys drafted.

1st/2nd Round:
Musil
Jaskin
Hoznik

3rd-5th Rounds:
Machovsky
Hrbas
Stransky
Uher

6th/7th Rounds:
Hyka
Nedomlel (haven't seen him play, but I'm going by his size)
Galansky

You forgot that guy Pribyl, was talked here before. Out of that group I think 5-6 (max 7) will make it to the draft. Not bad (compared to the past).

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
You forgot that guy Pribyl, was talked here before. Out of that group I think 5-6 (max 7) will make it to the draft. Not bad (compared to the past).

Ah, yes I meant to put Pribyl in the 3-5 range.

I don't think all these guys will be drafted, but at least half will.

I definately think that Musil, Jaskin, Hoznik, Machovsky, Hrbas, Uher and Pribyl will be drafted. I think that Stransky, Nedomlel and Galansky could go based on their potential and size and that Hyka could in the late rounds because of his skill. Adam Sedlak could go in the late rounds as well because he had a great year with Ottawa. I don't see anyone else going though. Maybe Beranek? He had a terrible first half though.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
Ah, yes I meant to put Pribyl in the 3-5 range.

I don't think all these guys will be drafted, but at least half will.

I definately think that Musil, Jaskin, Hoznik, Machovsky, Hrbas, Uher and Pribyl will be drafted. I think that Stransky, Nedomlel and Galansky could go based on their potential and size and that Hyka could in the late rounds because of his skill. Adam Sedlak could go in the late rounds as well because he had a great year with Ottawa. I don't see anyone else going though. Maybe Beranek? He had a terrible first half though.

We'll see. I'm sure that not everything will go as expected. So if they are 7 it will be success for this group IMO. I see as locks only Honzik, Jaskin, Machovsky and Musil right now. Anything can happen after them.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
We'll see. I'm sure that not everything will go as expected. So if they are 7 it will be success for this group IMO. I see as locks only Honzik, Jaskin, Machovsky and Musil right now. Anything can happen after them.

You don't think that Hrbas is a lock? I think he has Kimmo Timonen-like potential. Projects as a small good, strong two-way defenseman. I think he'll go for sure.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
I just checked the state of CHL playoffs. Right now there are 4 Czech player still in contention to win something there. It's Marek Kalus and Dominik Uher of Spokane Chiefs in WHL playoffs, Milan Doudera of Niagara IceDogs (who finally started to play some games btw.) in OHL playoffs and Tomáš Filippi of Québec Remparts in QMJHL playoffs.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
I just checked the state of CHL playoffs. Right now there are 4 Czech player still in contention to win something there. It's Marek Kalus and Dominik Uher of Spokane Chiefs in WHL playoffs, Milan Doudera of Niagara IceDogs (who finally started to play some games btw.) in OHL playoffs and Tomáš Filippi of Québec Remparts in QMJHL playoffs.

I've heard that Uher has improved ten-fold from last year and has just been amazing this year for Spokane. From what I've heard he is almost a shoe-in to be drafted this summer and may go as early as the third round.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
I couldn´t find a better thread for this:

sport_clenske_zakladny_stav_k_2011_01_01.jpg

This lists the number of registered players in 20 Czech sports in January 2010 and January 2011. Hockey is 4th in both, but the change is -6% for the junior hockey players. That´s pretty alarming, if they continue this way they might very well find themselves with more golfers than hockey players.

Also, ineteresting are the numbers for cycling- the overall number grew by 121% and the youth numbers by 113%.....

And are the numbers even right? According to FIFA´s Big Count even Slovakia has more than 600.000 football players (only 428.000 registred though) and they list CZE with over a million (and round 686.000 registred).

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
I couldn´t find a better thread for this:

sport_clenske_zakladny_stav_k_2011_01_01.jpg

This lists the number of registered players in 20 Czech sports in January 2010 and January 2011. Hockey is 4th in both, but the change is -6% for the junior hockey players. That´s pretty alarming, if they continue this way they might very well find themselves with more golfers than hockey players.

Also, ineteresting are the numbers for cycling- the overall number grew by 121% and the youth numbers by 113%.....

And are the numbers even right? According to FIFA´s Big Count even Slovakia has more than 600.000 football players (only 428.000 registred though) and they list CZE with over a million (and round 686.000 registred).

Maybe IIHF should consider leaving hockey sticks and start playing with golf sticks, it might very well make the game more attractive for kids! :sarcasm:

But seriusly, I have no idea about accuracy of those numbers... but it's very interesting. I like cycling, on the other hand I'm worried about such increase of cyclers as car driver :help: :laugh:

Speaking about hockey. I think it's natural that number of players will decrease compared to the past. -6% is probably too much though.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
6% in just a year is way way too huge. Also the fact that the Czechs have more adult than junior players (I think that the majority of Elite countries as well as Div I teams have a few times more juniors than adults)

I think there must have been some kind of change with registering with cycling cuz the only other explanations for such a change with both adults/juniors is that everyone loves Roman Kreuziger....:D

TexasTriumph

Apr 30, 2011
I am very interested to know what is going on with the quality and number of czech players??? What is the real issue in which they can't produce some great players? Are these younger kids just not interested in hockey anymore? It's like czech hockey is an endangered species. I am only half Czech and dont live there, thats why im trying to get an inside knowledgeable source that has some kind of answers.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
I am very interested to know what is going on with the quality and number of czech players??? What is the real issue in which they can't produce some great players? Are these younger kids just not interested in hockey anymore? It's like czech hockey is an endangered species. I am only half Czech and dont live there, thats why im trying to get an inside knowledgeable source that has some kind of answers.

I think decrease of number of players has a lot to do with some other and cheaper sports getting bigger, but that's not the biggest issue IMO. Problem is that Czech development system didn't progress at all during past years, maybe even regressed. That should be slowly improving in the next few years if everything goes according to the plan, but we won't see that in results earlier than 5 years from now, maybe later.

TexasTriumph

Apr 30, 2011
Too bad. Czech / Czechoslovakia is top 3 to Canada and Soviet / Russian for all time countries in hockey. Czech Rep. has more gold medals in WC hockey in the last 15 years than any other country. 2 more than Canada. And since NHL has been allowed since 1998. They are tied with Russia and now Canada since winning 2010 gold to be the only 3 countries with 2 medals at the Olympics. I guess that will be it for a long time considering all our "legends" "greats" are retired or will be soon enough.
Krejci, Plakanec, Erat, Havlat, Hemsky, Michalek brothers - then Hanzal, Vrbata, Voracek, Frolik on a lower tier and a few others are the only young one's I can think of off the top of my head that are left. 5 years + with no one else really making an impact. They soon will be in their 30's by that time.

joey16

Dec 27, 2010
Well, the bright side is that we will very likely have a player drafted in the first round again (maybe even two players). The last one was Voracek and that was in year 2007. There is also pretty good chance on the first round next year (Frk, maybe Hertl). I know it is difficult time for us right now, but I am quite an optimist. I believe there won´t be worse drafts than 08 and 09 anymore.

By the way, it is very early but I heard that years ´96 and ´97 could be quite strong.

TexasTriumph

Apr 30, 2011
Is there any chance that Nedomlel get's drafted this year? I've never seen him play, but he seems like a big, tough, stay-at-home defenseman who could be worth taking a late round flier on. How does he skate? He didn't score a goal this year so I'm assuming he doesn't have very good offensive skills. What can you guys tell me about this kid? He's huge!

I can tell you something about this kid! He can eat steak with a spoon!!! Hahahahaha :handclap: :laugh: :handclap:

I personally like the Defense of Nedomlel. He's young and still going to grow and get bigger hopefully. Put on that muscle and weight big boy. Eat your steaks!

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
CHL playoffs stats

CHL playoffs already ended for all Czech players, so here are the stats:

OHL skaters
Name | Position | Club | GP | G | A | PTS | +/- | PIM | YoB
Milan Doudera|D|Niagara IceDogs|11|1|2|3|0|0|1993
Adam Sedlák|D|Ottawa 67's|4|0|1|1|0|4|1991

QMJHL skaters
Jakub Culek|LW|Rimouski Océanic|5|0|2|2|-3|2|1992
Tomáš Filippi|C|Québec Remparts|18|5|10|15|+4|12|1992
Martin Frk|RW|Halifax Mooseheads|4|0|2|2|-7|8|1993
Bohumil Jank|D|Victoriaville Tigres|9|0|2|2|-1|16|1992
Denis Kindl|C|Cape Breton Screaming Eagles|4|0|1|1|-5|2|1992
Andrej Nestrašil|RW|PEI Rocket|5|1|5|6|+3|2|1991
Ondřej Palát|LW|Drummondville Voltigeurs|10|4|7|11|-1|6|1991
Adam Polášek|D|PEI Rocket|5|0|0|0|0|8|1991
Petr Straka|RW|Rimouski Océanic|5|2|2|4|0|0|1992

WHL skaters
Antonín Honejsek|LW|Moose Jaw Warriors|6|1|0|1|-2|10|1991
Roman Horák|LW|Chilliwack Bruins|5|1|2|3|-4|0|1991
Marek Hrbas|D|Edmonton Oil Kings|4|0|0|0|-3|4|1993
Marek Kalus|LW|Spokane Chiefs|5|2|1|3|+1|0|1993
David Musil|D|Vancouver Giants|4|0|1|1|-1|2|1993
Robin Soudek|RW|Chilliwack Bruins|5|2|1|3|-4|4|1991
Matěj Stránský|RW|Saskatoon Blades|10|3|6|9|+5|8|1993
Dominik Uher|C|Spokane Chiefs|17|2|9|11|+2|18|1992
Jaroslav Vlach|LW|Prince George Cougars|4|1|0|1|-3|2|1992

All goalies
Name | Club | GP | Wins | GA | Shutouts | Avg. | % | YoB
Tadeáš Galanský|Saginaw Spirit|1|0|2|0|4.94|.875|1992
David Honzík|Victoriaville Tigres|9|5|30|0|3.28|.919|1993
Matěj Machovský|Brampton Battalion/Guelph Storm|2|0|3|0|2.80|.880|1993
Petr Mrázek|Ottawa 67's|4|0|21|0|5.63|.868|1992

Czechexpert

Jan 23, 2009
Well, the bright side is that we will very likely have a player drafted in the first round again (maybe even two players). The last one was Voracek and that was in year 2007. There is also pretty good chance on the first round next year (Frk, maybe Hertl). I know it is difficult time for us right now, but I am quite an optimist. I believe there won´t be worse drafts than 08 and 09 anymore.

By the way, it is very early but I heard that years ´96 and ´97 could be quite strong.

There could be even worse draft than 08 and 09. 2013. God awful. It´s still early but there will be hardly any players worth of watching.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Looks like a decent year for Czech prospects. Lot's of good young guys playing in NA this year. Jaskin, Musil, Stransky, Uher, Honzik, Machovsky and Hrbas should all be drafted and there are a few other guys like Nedomlel, Galansky and Jank with outside chances at going in the later rounds as well.

Hopefully we see a strong performance at the WJC the next few years since guys like Frk, Jaskin and Musil. That little group could really do some damage if some other guys break out.

WhoIsGuyIncognito

Mar 22, 2011
Prague, Czech
I will go ahead and predict that the player with most potential to be a star player isnt any of the the guys you mentioned but a 93 born Tomas Hertl from Slavia Prague. Right now 6'3 maybe even 6'4 center with tremendeus hockey sense and passing, he was able to be a extremly productive player in juniors despite constant setback due injuries( likely a result of growing about 5 inches in last 3 years, he was a midget at age 14) and illnesses ( he missed about 20 games this year with angina like symtoms that eventually required minor surgery). The reason why I'm impressed by him is that his game is built as of now entirely on his tremendous hockey sense and he has a potential to become a very strong player - he just needs time, he is very skinny as of now but that will change in few years and he already is a very solid skater, and once again he will be even better once he improves his fitness.
I dont know if he is draft eligible this year but he has label sleeper and late bloomer written al over him. The way he will be developed by Slavia will obviously play a big role but given the way they played their youngsters lately I think he is in a good situation.

P.S. I didnt see him play during this year U18, if anyone did please inform me how did he handle the speed of international play.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
I will go ahead and predict that the player with most potential to be a star player isnt any of the the guys you mentioned but a 93 born Tomas Hertl from Slavia Prague. Right now 6'3 maybe even 6'4 center with tremendeus hockey sense and passing, he was able to be a extremly productive player in juniors despite constant setback due injuries( likely a result of growing about 5 inches in last 3 years, he was a midget at age 14) and illnesses ( he missed about 20 games this year with angina like symtoms that eventually required minor surgery). The reason why I'm impressed by him is that his game is built as of now entirely on his tremendous hockey sense and he has a potential to become a very strong player - he just needs time, he is very skinny as of now but that will change in few years and he already is a very solid skater, and once again he will be even better once he improves his fitness.
I dont know if he is draft eligible this year but he has label sleeper and late bloomer written al over him. The way he will be developed by Slavia will obviously play a big role but given the way they played their youngsters lately I think he is in a good situation.

P.S. I didnt see him play during this year U18, if anyone did please inform me how did he handle the speed of international play.

I saw him on TV in CZE-USA game of pre World Championship tournament in Hradec Kralove. He was probably our best player there and had great game. I think it might be available somewhere in CT archive.

Czechexpert

Jan 23, 2009

Hertl is 2012 eligible(late 93). Very talented player. Didn´t have the strongest championship though.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
Tomáš Pastor and Adam Sedlák are coming back from NA to Vitkovice. Will be interesting to see how they'll do. Pastor could even make it to WJC if he played good. They will probably spend a lot of time in 1. liga though. I really like what Vitkovice are doing, they have great young team and they've developed many good players recently - Sedlak, Polasek, Mrazek, Kana, Voracek T., Roman, Palat etc... more than any other franchise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->