Czech Republic: Czech prospects thread

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
With end of CHL regular season I thought it would be good to put all prospects agenda (not national teams related) to separate thread. We can discuss here prospects and their playing in clubs not only in NA, but in Europe also. So here are finished CHL regular season stats. I'll add playoff stats when it is ended.

11/12 season: post 83

OHL skaters
Name | Position | Club | GP | G | A | PTS | +/- | PIM | YoB
Petr Beránek|RW|Barrie Colts|54|11|15|26|-12|22|1993
Milan Doudera|D|Niagara IceDogs|7|0|0|0|0|6|1993
Adam Sedlák|D|Ottawa 67's|59|2|10|12|+17|62|1991

QMJHL skaters
Jakub Culek|LW|Rimouski Océanic|55|7|15|22|+2|37|1992
Tomáš Filippi|C|Québec Remparts|62|27|29|56|+28|16|1992
Martin Frk|RW|Halifax Mooseheads|62|22|28|50|-14|75|1993
Bohumil Jank|D|Victoriaville Tigres|20|0|12|12|-13|21|1992
Denis Kindl|C|Cape Breton Screaming Eagles/Montréal Juniors|63|22|19|41|-9|51|1992
Andrej Nestrašil|RW|PEI Rocket|58|19|51|70|+13|40|1991
Ondřej Palát|LW|Drummondville Voltigeurs|61|39|57|96|+37|24|1991
Adam Polášek|D|PEI Rocket|61|7|32|39|0|59|1991
Petr Straka|RW|Rimouski Océanic|41|10|15|25|0|33|1992

WHL skaters
Antonín Honejsek|LW|Moose Jaw Warriors|46|22|21|43|+7|18|1991
Roman Horák|LW|Chilliwack Bruins|64|26|52|78|-7|60|1991
Marek Hrbas|D|Edmonton Oil Kings|64|5|12|17|-4|30|1993
Marek Kalus|LW|Spokane Chiefs|22|4|4|8|-5|11|1993
David Musil|D|Vancouver Giants|62|6|19|25|0|83|1993
Richard Nedomlel|D|Swift Current Broncos|66|0|10|10|-15|107|1993
Štěpán Novotný|RW|Swift Current Broncos|58|22|18|40|-21|35|1990
Robin Soudek|RW|Chilliwack Bruins|61|25|32|57|-11|70|1991
Matěj Stránský|RW|Saskatoon Blades|71|14|12|26|+13|53|1993
Dominik Uher|C|Spokane Chiefs|65|21|39|60|+19|60|1992
Jaroslav Vlach|LW|Prince George Cougars|55|4|8|12|-13|84|1992

All goalies
Name | Club | GP | Wins | GA | Shutouts | Avg. | % | YoB
Tadeáš Galanský|Saginaw Spirit|17|9|44|1|2.89|.910|1992
David Honzík|Victoriaville Tigres|36|17|105|1|3.54|.884|1993
Matěj Machovský|Brampton Battalion/Guelph Storm|23|7|64|1|2.90|.904|1993
Petr Mrázek|Ottawa 67's|52|33|146|4|2.84|.920|1992

No longer on team
Vojtěch Butor|C|Belleville Bulls|5|0|0|0|-2|0|1993

My thoughts

positive:
- Horák, Polášek and Nestrašil with solid seasons. Have good chance to manage next season in AHL.
- Mrázek with nice progress.
- Palát's fine season with Cotourier.
- Other goalies did good job as well.
- Uher is positive surprise, he pretty much clinched his draft spot IMO.

neutral:
- Beránek and Stránský with not outstanding seasons. But they may have some chance in the draft.
- Filippi started very well, but slowed down a little bit from his pace.
- Frk's rookie season was ok I think, but he needs to tear things up next time.
- Musil didn't have as good season as expected.

negative:
- Culek/Straka.
- Jank, his +/- looks horrendous.

Last edited:

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Good idea for a thread.

I think overall this was a good year for Czech prospects. Unfortunately Culek and Straka's production tanked. I'm thinking there will be quite a few Czech players drafted from the CHL in the next two years.

I think guys to go this year will be:
Machovsky
Honzik
Musil
Hrbas
Stransky
Uher

Who has a legitimate chance at being drafted from the Czech League?

Czechexpert

Jan 23, 2009
Good idea for a thread.

I think overall this was a good year for Czech prospects. Unfortunately Culek and Straka's production tanked. I'm thinking there will be quite a few Czech players drafted from the CHL in the next two years.

I think guys to go this year will be:
Machovsky
Honzik
Musil
Hrbas
Stransky
Uher

Who has a legitimate chance at being drafted from the Czech League?

Jaskin and Pribyl. Anyone else will be bonus.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
Btw. 2 of HC Zlín's promising prospects (Holík and Řezníček) are training this whole week with adult national team, because some players invited earlier will arrive next week. Good for them. Holík will be back for next years WJC and it will be interesting to see what he does next season with HC Zlín. I hope he'll get more ice time and PP time under new coach they have now.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Holik has quick hands, he's very skilled player, but too small :( Only 170 cm.

A team could take a chance on him in the 6th or 7th round, but that may be a bit of a stretch. From what I saw of him in the WJC, he's a good player, but doesn't really look to have NHL potential.

Czechexpert

Jan 23, 2009
A team could take a chance on him in the 6th or 7th round, but that may be a bit of a stretch. From what I saw of him in the WJC, he's a good player, but doesn't really look to have NHL potential.

He is not NHL prospect.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
Should be later round pick. Late 92 born tall winger with soft and quick hands, creative and instinctive player, good scoring touch.

Thx for the info, good to hear that. 2 guys from Czech leagues would still be the best result since 2008 I think (Kubalík, Kundrátek).

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
Matěj Machovský has been awarded the F. W. "Dinty" Moore Trophy for the best goals against average in the OHL regular season for a first year goaltender. Guys in the past who have won this trophy have been Mrazek (2009/10) and Neuvirth (2006/07). Good to know we still have good goaltenders.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
I was just looking through the 2008-2010 NHL drafts and I noticed that all of the Czech prospects born in 1990 seem to be looking very good. Michal Jordan, Tomas Kubalik, Tomas Vincour and Radko Gudas all look to have NHL futures ahead of them. Although there are so few of them, the scouts were very accurate in selecting the best of them.

How do you guys think the '89,'91,'92 and '93 classes will do?

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
I was just looking through the 2008-2010 NHL drafts and I noticed that all of the Czech prospects born in 1990 seem to be looking very good. Michal Jordan, Tomas Kubalik, Tomas Vincour and Radko Gudas all look to have NHL futures ahead of them. Although there are so few of them, the scouts were very accurate in selecting the best of them.

How do you guys think the '89,'91,'92 and '93 classes will do?

Who knows :dunno: '89 probably won't be any better, the rest looks ok so far to me, but '94 seems to be quite weak (at least to me, I'm not an expert).

The truth is that numbers of drafted player are low recently, but positive thing is it's not going down even more. I think those 2 years of only 3 guys drafted were bottom years and 2010 was a little bit better and 2011/2012 seem to be at least same or better than 2010 in this way.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Who knows :dunno: '89 probably won't be any better, the rest looks ok so far to me, but '94 seems to be quite weak (at least to me, I'm not an expert).

The truth is that numbers of drafted player are low recently, but positive thing is it's not going down even more. I think those 2 years of only 3 guys drafted were bottom years and 2010 was a little bit better and 2011/2012 seem to be at least same or better than 2010 in this way.

That barely seems to be a positive.

2007 - 5 guys. Voracek in NHL. Repik is running out of time with Florida, high quality skills but sometimes that isn't enough. Future KHL player perhaps. Ruzicka isn't an NHL prospect, Roman isn't having a good year in the AHL and is very marginal. Ostrcil isn't an NHL prospect.

2008 - 3 guys. Kundratek is an NHL prospect but not anything earth shattering, and is a project. Could go either way. Jordan much the same. Kubalik has had a promising first AHL year and has potential, but isn't a surefire thing.

2009 - 3 guys. Nestrasil is borderline NHL prospect. Very talented hockey player but the skillset doesn't seem insync. Skating is an issue for sure. Could go either way. Horak has had a good year but at his age it should be expected. Greater knowledge on his future will be known next year. Vincour has seen NHL time but doesn't really have any high end skill. Still a pretty bad skater and projects to be a bottom six player.

2010 - 5 guys. Straka. Awful year and you have to wonder if he will even get signed at the moment. Gudas seems to have some NHl potential albeit not particular immense. Solid progression being made. Culek isn't an NHL prospect. Mrazek looks very promising. One the better goaltending prospects around. Polasek i am actually not that well informed on.

In 4 years we have 16 picks. The reason it isn't going down anymore is because it is basically impossible to happen. No matter how bad the programme is, a couple of picks each year is nearly always going to happen.

2007 is saved by Voracek. Otherwise awful. The only other potential player is Repik and as a Florida fan i can tell you time is running out. 2008 is terrible. 3 Mid tier NHL prospects ; the probability is only one will be a long-term NHL player. 2009 is the same, all 3 have NHL potential in different ways, but its unlikely they all pan out. 2010 is really bad if we ignore Mrazek and projecting Goalies is tough.

You are lucky if you get 5 long-term NHL players from this group (and excluding Voracek, lucky if any of them are impact players). It's highly likely that Switzerland for example will have more success from their 89-92 group.

2011 basically has Musil/Jaskin and little else. 2012 from what i've heard is pretty bad.

Does anybody know if serious changes are being made in Czech hockey? Clearly by now the serious health issue of Czech hockey has been diagnosed by all, but have any actual actions been undertaken to change this trend or are we still merely in the "Discussion" stage. It's a sad trend and one i hope can be reversed over time. Fact is, the Czech Republic is almost a non entity at the Junior level now. I mean i'd be suprised if NHL scouts even bother scouting the Czech Republic outside of international events much anymore.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
That barely seems to be a positive.

2007 - 5 guys. Voracek in NHL. Repik is running out of time with Florida, high quality skills but sometimes that isn't enough. Future KHL player perhaps. Ruzicka isn't an NHL prospect, Roman isn't having a good year in the AHL and is very marginal. Ostrcil isn't an NHL prospect.

2008 - 3 guys. Kundratek is an NHL prospect but not anything earth shattering, and is a project. Could go either way. Jordan much the same. Kubalik has had a promising first AHL year and has potential, but isn't a surefire thing.

2009 - 3 guys. Nestrasil is borderline NHL prospect. Very talented hockey player but the skillset doesn't seem insync. Skating is an issue for sure. Could go either way. Horak has had a good year but at his age it should be expected. Greater knowledge on his future will be known next year. Vincour has seen NHL time but doesn't really have any high end skill. Still a pretty bad skater and projects to be a bottom six player.

2010 - 5 guys. Straka. Awful year and you have to wonder if he will even get signed at the moment. Gudas seems to have some NHl potential albeit not particular immense. Solid progression being made. Culek isn't an NHL prospect. Mrazek looks very promising. One the better goaltending prospects around. Polasek i am actually not that well informed on.

In 4 years we have 16 picks. The reason it isn't going down anymore is because it is basically impossible to happen. No matter how bad the programme is, a couple of picks each year is nearly always going to happen.

2007 is saved by Voracek. Otherwise awful. The only other potential player is Repik and as a Florida fan i can tell you time is running out. 2008 is terrible. 3 Mid tier NHL prospects ; the probability is only one will be a long-term NHL player. 2009 is the same, all 3 have NHL potential in different ways, but its unlikely they all pan out. 2010 is really bad if we ignore Mrazek and projecting Goalies is tough.

You are lucky if you get 5 long-term NHL players from this group (and excluding Voracek, lucky if any of them are impact players). It's highly likely that Switzerland for example will have more success from their 89-92 group.

2011 basically has Musil/Jaskin and little else. 2012 from what i've heard is pretty bad.

Does anybody know if serious changes are being made in Czech hockey? Clearly by now the serious health issue of Czech hockey has been diagnosed by all, but have any actual actions been undertaken to change this trend or are we still merely in the "Discussion" stage. It's a sad trend and one i hope can be reversed over time. Fact is, the Czech Republic is almost a non entity at the Junior level now. I mean i'd be suprised if NHL scouts even bother scouting the Czech Republic outside of international events much anymore.

Thx for your analysis:) Maybe I've got just more of imagination, but I really think it could be even worse than it is now. You know, I don't like when somebody uses word "sad" when talking about this topic. I feel like sad are more serious things in life than hockey.

And yes, some things are happening to change the trend, but I don't have much insight and only time will tell how this works out.

Czechexpert

Jan 23, 2009

94´ is nothing special but still okay but actually 95´ looks very weak.
I don´t think we touched the floor yet...

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
94´ is nothing special but still okay but actually 95´ looks very weak.
I don´t think we touched the floor yet...

And what do you think about this plan for the next season? I've read the first document and it looks like a good start. Do you think it is something that will work and make some kind of difference?

Czechexpert

Jan 23, 2009
And what do you think about this plan for the next season? I've read the first document and it looks like a good start. Do you think it is something that will work and make some kind of difference?

Purpose looks really well inspired by Swedish system, execution in Czech is always question.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
Daniel Přibyl (already mentioned above) and Tomáš RubeÅ¡, two notable prospects of Sparta Praha, scored their first Extraliga goals today in play out against Kladno :handclap: There are major changes expected in Sparta next season, so they both could get regular roster spot for next season I think.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
Yesterday HC Trinec won Extraliga title. One of the champions is also the guy who played for Czech Republic at this years WJC, Jakub Orsava. Great for him, nice accompilshment at the beginning of his career.

Eyelanders

Jan 9, 2011
I´m very interested in Czech prospects and I follow them closely, especially who play in CHL. But I don´t know much about ´94 born players. I have some names in my mind such as goalie Marek Langhamer, defensemen Karel Plasil and Petr Sidlik and forwards Radek Faksa and Patrik Machac. Plus Tomas Hertl, who is born in 1993, but is a late birthday, so he´s eligible to be drafted in 2012. I would like to hear strengths and weaknesses about those players who are above. Also would be great if someone could tell some other names who are promising. And I mean only guys who play right now in Czech.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
I´m very interested in Czech prospects and I follow them closely, especially who play in CHL. But I don´t know much about ´94 born players. I have some names in my mind such as goalie Marek Langhamer, defensemen Karel Plasil and Petr Sidlik and forwards Radek Faksa and Patrik Machac. Plus Tomas Hertl, who is born in 1993, but is a late birthday, so he´s eligible to be drafted in 2012. I would like to hear strengths and weaknesses about those players who are above. Also would be great if someone could tell some other names who are promising. And I mean only guys who play right now in Czech.

You said pretty much all I know about that class. I've heard also that Knot is solid D-man. I hope somebody here will tell you more.

Btw, does anybody know some info about Richard Zehnal (and his brother too), he looks like interesting prospect according to his stats.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->